Whew! And the stats prove it | The Boneyard

Whew! And the stats prove it

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Unbelievable game by Texas. In every standard stat category except 3FG made (by 1) and the important one -- FT made -- the Longhorns did better. For much of a half, their offense looked much like what the Huskies wanted to do but only succeeded at intermittently. And only 9 TOs in the game! Get the per-40 sheet here.

Despite some of the analysis on this board and in the press, I don't see anything the UConn ladies need to "work on" in response to this test. They played a bigger, faster, deeper, talented and motivated team on their home court in front of an enormous hostile crowd and beat them. It was just one of those nights: do you think there's some practice regimen that Gabby needs to initiate so she doesn't miss 4 close-in bank shots (that we all expect her to make 94.67% of the time) in one game? Ditto for Azura's 3 shots from 4 feet. Just one of those games, where the opponent was down to the last 5 seconds on the shot clock multiple times and got bailed out by circus shots from an outstanding player.

True grit, ladies!

Just one of those games. And, since we won, I loved it!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other point worth noting. TX scored 24 pts in the 1st qtr when UConn had a number of defensive lapses, Lou missed some time after an elbow to the face and TX was knocking down shots. After the 1st period, TX scored only 47 points the rest of the game.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
One other point worth noting. TX scored 24 pts in the 1st qtr when UConn had a number of defensive lapses, Lou missed some time after an elbow to the face and TX was knocking down shots. After the 1st period, TX scored only 47 points the rest of the game.

I think most of the lapses were caused by starting out in a zone against a team that showed very good ball movement and speed and hit their perimeter shots.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable game by Texas. In every standard stat category except 3FG made (by 1) and the important one -- FT made -- the Longhorns did better. For much of a half, their offense looked much like what the Huskies wanted to do but only succeeded at intermittently. And only 9 TOs in the game! Get the per-40 sheet here.

Despite some of the analysis on this board and in the press, I don't see anything the UConn ladies need to "work on" in response to this test. They played a bigger, faster, deeper, talented and motivated team on their home court in front of an enormous hostile crowd and beat them. It was just one of those nights: do you think there's some practice regimen that Gabby needs to initiate so she doesn't miss 4 close-in bank shots (that we all expect her to make 94.67% of the time) in one game? Ditto for Azura's 3 shots from 4 feet. Just one of those games, where the opponent was down to the last 5 seconds on the shot clock multiple times and got bailed out by circus shots from an outstanding player.

True grit, ladies!

There were some curious aspects to this game, particlulary the way the Huskies closed out all four quarters on a run. I think in terms of team play the girls were outplayed, but in terms of individual effort and plays made on pure talent, we had just enough extra. Witness Crystals dish to Z for the last basket, several of Z's in close wrap around, Inspector Gadget like hoops, some of Gabby's plays and in particular Lou's managing to score like she did in spite of intense pressure. The girls are going to be alright I think.

Reaction Score

True grit, ladies!

Thanks for verifying what I thought I saw---seeing and stats are not always the same.
Uconn has lots to work on. Geno know that too. Some of what has to be done can't---you can't give Walker/Molly a growth spurt. Or transform Irwin into a Batouly post.
Circus shots or not--they were falling. McCarty--takes and makes those shots. They have to be stopped.

Deeper team Texas---fresh legs in the 4th qtr win games--Uconn usually is conditioned but fresh legs are better-at least in this case. If Danger didn't deliver --sad story.

Uconn typically feed off of the hostile crowd--but not this game. It's not the end of the world or the end of the year---as I said to Tenn fans---A W good, bad, ugly all records as a W for the Record.

Azura ---I'm so grateful for having her--she will be the cause of the new NC or close to it. Big teams, with depth will try to challenge Uconn for the rest of the year. Azura will be one of our best answers--I;m not JPM, throwing Gabby, Collier, KLS, KIA, Danger under any busses--without them not even close to an NC--but Azura is the horse to ride to the big dance.

Reaction Score
Great point, oldude. If you run JRRRJ's fantastic statistics through his loan amoratization calculator, it's clear that after the first Q, UConn's defense tightened up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think most of the lapses were caused by starting out in a zone against a team that showed very good ball movement and speed and hit their perimeter shots.
Yes. The Huskies have been working on that matchup zone for weeks. They surprised Houston with that zone which lead to 27 to’s and 21 steals. 5 minutes of zone against a good team like TX and it’s back to the drawing board for Geno.

Reaction Score
http://www.jackromanowicz.com/downloads/index.html

True grit, ladies!

I actually think they need to work on close shots with contact. It looks like to me that even the slightest contact throws them off balance and causes the shots to come up short. A lot of times it's just a lack of concentration to finish off the shot.

Reaction Score
Yes. The Huskies have been working on that matchup zone for weeks. They surprised Houston with that zone which lead to 27 to’s and 21 steals. 5 minutes of zone against a good team like TX and it’s back to the drawing board for Geno.

I like this one---. That game film will be watched 100 times from now to late march--first by the Coaches then by opponents. It's the model others have used to slow down and get a moral victory--others are waiting for the real thing. Louisville will come out punching and pushing and pulling. Jeff, ala Griner, will work to get this team WAY out of Sync. I still see the mugging of Griner every time I see the word Louisville. (Gave Uconn an NC)

Reaction Score
I actually think they need to work on close shots with contact. It looks like to me that even the slightest contact throws them off balance and causes the shots to come up short. A lot of times it's just a lack of concentration to finish off the shot.
\
I agree with your assessment---but to me it wasn't so much a lack of concentration--
I won't defend Collier, Gabby, Azura, Kia, Danger, KLS---but getting a bump is one thing--getting mugged --?? Top players are taught while shooting--all you see is the rim nothing else--then you get "T" boned by a freight train--the concentration changes.
Geno--in his belief that his isn't a tough enough team, maybe should view the game tapes, and rethink what tough really is for these kids. They took a few hits lately and WON.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They don’t win without a group effort last night, but Z was my POG. They couldn’t deal with her. That being said, it seems like she rushes sometimes and shoots a flat shot, hitting the side of the rim. Got blocked a few times. But she is getting comfortable.

Supposedly can shoot (and make a decent %) threes but it’s obviously been a problem this year. If she can start to make it, she becomes a Stewie type problem on D for the opposition.

Reaction Score
Great point, oldude. If you run JRRRJ's fantastic statistics through his loan amoratization calculator, it's clear that after the first Q, UConn's defense tightened up.
But it didn't say how much that cost the team or how long the loan would be for!!!

Reaction Score
They don’t win without a group effort last night, but Z was my POG. They couldn’t deal with her. That being said, it seems like she rushes sometimes and shoots a flat shot, hitting the side of the rim. Got blocked a few times. But she is getting comfortable.

Supposedly can shoot (and make a decent %) threes but it’s obviously been a problem this year. If she can start to make it, she becomes a Stewie type problem on D for the opposition.

Preface: We are a winning team with Azura, without her ???
A number of posters over the last 8 weeks have posted ---Azura is shooting bricks --I took the approach if Geno says it's ok --it's ok. But last night showed she was very effective with layups--anything 5 ft or further not so much. She belongs under the basket or nearby offense or defense--until the shots are 80 percent or better, in practice.
She got blocked because she tried to lay it in flatfooted. A tiny jump and the defenders don't get it.

Reaction Score
Thanks for verifying what I thought I saw---seeing and stats are not always the same.
Uconn has lots to work on. Geno know that too. Some of what has to be done can't---you can't give Walker/Molly a growth spurt. Or transform Irwin into a Batouly post.
Circus shots or not--they were falling. McCarty--takes and makes those shots. They have to be stopped.

Deeper team Texas---fresh legs in the 4th qtr win games--Uconn usually is conditioned but fresh legs are better-at least in this case. If Danger didn't deliver --sad story.

Uconn typically feed off of the hostile crowd--but not this game. It's not the end of the world or the end of the year---as I said to Tenn fans---A W good, bad, ugly all records as a W for the Record.

Azura ---I'm so grateful for having her--she will be the cause of the new NC or close to it. Big teams, with depth will try to challenge Uconn for the rest of the year. Azura will be one of our best answers--I;m not JPM, throwing Gabby, Collier, KLS, KIA, Danger under any busses--without them not even close to an NC--but Azura is the horse to ride to the big dance.

I think we have multiple horses and that is why we have the best chance to win. Last game it was Gabby, prior, Lou, Pheesa and Nurse. Of course Crystal Dangerfield has played well including last night. For all of Z's scoring she was not the leading scorer in a tight game. Lou carried us in certain spots and I wonder after getting a better look at her eye (at the foul line) if it affected her during the second half. I think rebounding against the bigger teams and defending the paint (without fouling) is where Z will be most valuable to us come March, although she did a good job scoring when it mattered down the stretch in this game.

Reaction Score

Right! Z was the POG. Both the Texas coach and ESPN's coverage singled out Azura as the difference-maker in this one. We needed what we got from others, but w/out Z=no win.

Reaction Score
I think we have multiple horses and that is why we have the best chance to win. Last game it was Gabby, prior, Lou, Pheesa and Nurse. Of course Crystal Dangerfield has played well including last night. For all of Z's scoring she was not the leading scorer in a tight game. Lou carried us in certain spots and I wonder after getting a better look at her eye (at the foul line) if it affected her during the second half. I think rebounding against the bigger teams and defending the paint (without fouling) is where Z will be most valuable to us come March, although she did a good job scoring when it mattered down the stretch in this game.
\'

Not much to disagree with here--but give me a minute, I'll find something. Obviously, there isn't one of the top 6 (maybe 7 in a day or 2) that Uconn cannot win the whole deal without--no doubt. However, IMO, the lack last season was a BIG. While Azura isn't what we'd normally call a BIG, her size gives her great value. We have seen in recent games where scoring was an issue and Geno went to Z to fix the problem. If Collier and or Gabby have trouble scoring--in goes Z.
I'd like to say Z is no more needed than any of the starting 5--in most games that's true--but against tall teams (tx was one) Collier and Gabby had trouble but Z fixed that. We'll see that again. Fouls with Azura against bigs could be an issue a bad one.

Reaction Score
I have always maintained that if we score 80 points against I don't care who, we will win. What we saw was a team that was unconscious in the first quarter
and us missing several bunnies. they averaged 16 points per quarter other than the first. we play them on a neutral court it's a 15 point win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom