Where's My Gift Box: Final Push For ROY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where's My Gift Box: Final Push For ROY

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is Taurasi a candidate for ROY? That's some serious thread drift in a short amount of time. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but Thread originators are allowed to start a drift. It's right in the rules. ;)

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Perhaps I am wrong, but I always thought these kinds of awards ought to be for helping your team win (except in extremely extraordinary circumstances). In 2015, the race game down to Jewell and Kiah Stokes. Jewell was the #1 pick and was a better scorer. Kiah had way better all around stats. More importantly, she helped lead the Libs to the conference final whereas Jewell helped lead the Storm to Stewie. I hope history does not repeat itself. Napheesa has been the most consistent player on a playoff team, Arike has been the best player on a lottery team. In a race this close, I feel like you have to give it to the player helping her team actually win. #ROY #TeamPheesa

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Never confuse a player’s oncourt demeanor with her character. I don’t know anything about Arike’s character, and I doubt you do. Some people are very different on court than they are off.
I don't think one's actions can be divorced from their character. In fact, I think actions *under pressure* are the greatest exposé of one's character.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hate to spoil the fun and it is cool to see the Lynx go all in and to see alot of testimonials from those who know the game but I do not think it will happen as I posted in another thread

I expect the fate you predict, just because of the stupidity of the voters; nonetheless I will not stop celebrating the true winner.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Never confuse a player’s oncourt demeanor with her character.

Lost me there. If you lose your sense of sportsmanship in order to be your "best" on the court, then get off it or change.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Lost me there. If you lose your sense of sportsmanship in order to be your "best" on the court, then get off it or change.
How do you (and Plebe) feel about Taurasi? Honest question.

I don’t like the way she (or Ogunbowale) plays, but I don’t think it makes her a horrible human being, which I do equate with horrible character.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I don’t like the way she (or Ogunbowale) plays, but I don’t think it makes her a horrible human being, which I do equate with horrible character.

You are lost in the desert if you equate DT lashing out for being pummeled with no whistles her whole career and that characterless person trying to hurt people who aren't looking @Bigboote. So, no, not an honest question at all. Shame, shame.

Reaction Score
You are lost in the desert if you equate DT lashing out for being pummeled with no whistles her whole career and that characterless person trying to hurt people who aren't looking @Bigboote. So, no, not an honest question at all. Shame, shame.
I think they're referring to plays like this.

Where she elbows Hamby in the back of the neck, while she's not looking

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Taurasi is first in WNBA history in free-throw attempts and AFAICT, third in FTA per game. That’s quite a few whistles. And as Reply21 pointed out, I’m not talking about bellyaching.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Taurasi is first in WNBA history in free-throw attempts and AFAICT, third in FTA per game. That’s quite a few whistles. And as Reply21 pointed out, I’m not talking about bellyaching.

Even WNBA refs can get embarrassed. I'm tired of people getting all up about the GOAT. Show me the footage of Dee going out of her way to deck a rival PG at mid-court or purposefully undercut someone under the basket or ..... and all in the same game. Sorry, but those things speak about character.

How a thread about Phee as ROY turned into this ....!!!

Reaction Score
Even WNBA refs can get embarrassed. I'm tired of people getting all up about the GOAT. Show me the footage of Dee going out of her way to deck a rival PG at mid-court or purposefully undercut someone under the basket or ..... and all in the same game. Sorry, but those things speak about character.

How a thread about Phee as ROY turned into this ....!!!
Hmm, can't say this is the exact thing your asking for... Well it's not lol.
DT is the goat, but she's not perfect. She has bad tendencies too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I don't approve of everything DT's done, but this is apples and oranges. For one thing, did Taurasi do any of that stuff in college (or her rookie year)? She got one tech for *clapping*, and Geno promptly benched her and reamed her out. Arike, by contrast, was coddled and enabled by her coach, who, after Arike got caught for horrendous behavior, tried to peddle the baldfaced lie that she was "baited" by the opposing coach. No accountability, no integrity, no character.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't approve of everything DT's done, but this is apples and oranges. For one thing, did Taurasi do any of that stuff in college (or her rookie year)? She got one tech for *clapping*, and Geno promptly benched her and reamed her out. Arike, by contrast, was coddled and enabled by her coach, who, after Arike got caught for horrendous behavior, tried to peddle the baldfaced lie that she was "baited" by the opposing coach. No accountability, no integrity, no character.
Thanks for a thoughtful response.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I thik it could be argued that Arike has been the ROY since the all star break (though I honestly think it's a three way tie between Arike/Collier/McCowan). But for the entire season, Collier has been the best rookie by all counts (pre all star break, I actually think #2 rookie would have been Durr, who's been sidelined by injuries since).

Reaction Score

What I like about this Lynx_PR post it's simple and right to the point. "WNBA players to collect 400+ points, 200+ rebounds, 80+ assists and 60+ steals in a season:".

Unlike a post in another thread labeled "WNBA Rookie of the year", where Cappie P. weighs in on Arike's ROY proclamation with some "advanced stats" she lists as, "She's got a lot of only's"..."Only person in the WNBA under 6'2" averaging 17 PPG...etc...etc".

With Napheesa's above credentials, height does not come into play and covers all WNBA players.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
For sure, although those numbers seem kind of arbitrary. Why 80assists and 60steals? Why not 100 of each? or only 50?

That being said, damn Tamika Catchings was great.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For sure, although those numbers seem kind of arbitrary. Why 80assists and 60steals? Why not 100 of each? or only 50?

That being said, damn Tamika Catchings was great.

Her collective stats right now. 1 more block gets her to 30. Maybe some more filtering? But based on the list, most of these cases are probably Blocks > = 30

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom