Where's My Gift Box: Final Push For ROY | The Boneyard

Where's My Gift Box: Final Push For ROY

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gift Boxes from the Lynx for voters, oh my!

Lynx put together gift box promoting Napheesa Collier as WNBA Rookie of the Year bid

"If Collier earns the rookie of the year crown, she would join Betty Lenox and Temeka Johnson as the lowest drafted players to win. "
Lenox and Johnson, move over.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hate to spoil the fun and it is cool to see the Lynx go all in and to see alot of testimonials from those who know the game but I do not think it will happen as I posted in another thread

I am sure the WNBA bean counters consider Arike's game more conducive to getting more main stream fans interested in the WNBA than either Napheesa or Teiera's style of play. They want another Mamba.

For example, in last night's game, she missed multiple low percentage shots and followed them up with incredibly athletic makes.

That will count a lot more than any objective analysis. Might as well get used to it.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Hate to spoil the fun and it is cool to see the Lynx go all in and to see alot of testimonials from those who know the game but I do not think it will happen as I posted in another thread
Please excuse my ignorance. This is the first time I have seen the term "Mamba" in this context. I am only familiar with the snake of said term. Please enlighten me. I always do enjoy your input and am very interested in broadening my BB vocab.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance. This is the first time I have seen the term "Mamba" in this context. I am only familiar with the snake of said term. Please enlighten me. I always do enjoy your input and am very interested in broadening my BB vocab.

Kobe Bryant has the nickname 'Black Mamba' which describes his often singular cut throat purpose to score and to be an assassin to his opponents. In my interpretation, this can lead to many ill advised shots but because of his/her skill and athleticism, makes more than he/she is supposed to.

I view Arike like that and since almost every NBA fan seems to like that aspect of Kobe's game , I think that is the attraction the WNBA would hope to get with Arike

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mamba is a reference to Kobe Bryant and by proxy also to Arike Ogunbowale the other WNBA ROY most likely candidate. @eebmg point is that the league desires to promote Arike and that she will likely win the award.
My counter point is that the WNBA would then be favoring style and Flash of Arike over the substance and productivity that is Napheesa. This should really not be close, because not only is Napheesa the clear ROY she is also an MVP candidate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mamba is a reference to Kobe Bryant and by proxy also to Arike Ogunbowale the other WNBA ROY most likely candidate. @eebmg point is that the league desires to promote Arike and that she will likely win the award.
My counter point is that the WNBA would then be favoring style and Flash of Arike over the substance and productivity that is Napheesa. This should really not be close, because not only is Napheesa the clear ROY she is also an MVP candidate.
Slow your roll on the MVP candidate stuff. She's not even in the conversation. The only race she's in is with Arike for ROY. She isn't clear ROY, in fact that's about as clear as mud. They both have opposite styles of play, and it'll be up to the WNBA to decide which style they prefer. Both players have cases for winning.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW in case you are interested at all in who Kobe says is the White Mamba:

History is important.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A little bit more of history, don't you know mate?

While we wait for more. And more, so much more, is coming.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Taurasi a candidate for ROY? That's some serious thread drift in a short amount of time. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My fault. :confused:

Arike -> Mamba -> Kobe -> DT

So we need DT - > all time UConn great -> Maya -> Naphessa -> ROY ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The title of the award is Rookie of the Year, not Rookie of one quarter or one half of the year. Season long consistency should be rewarded, imo. If Collier finishes the season playing as well as she has been playing, I believe she will have earned the award, whether she wins it or not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Slow your roll on the MVP candidate stuff. She's not even in the conversation. The only race she's in is with Arike for ROY. She isn't clear ROY, in fact that's about as clear as mud. They both have opposite styles of play, and it'll be up to the WNBA to decide which style they prefer. Both players have cases for winning.
Uhm. I didn't start the Collier for MVP chant. I'll be happy to join in on that dance though. The first article has already been posted by @CamrnCrz1974. The second article is just gratis (FYI). You are welcome!

Napheesa Collier Isn't Just The WNBA Rookie Of The Year, She's An MVP Candidate

Lynx's Napheesa Collier is WNBA rookie front-runner, heir-apparent to face of the franchise

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's really interesting how Collier fans won't stop talking about Arike. And I'm not even primarily referring to this board.

Anytime a prominent WNBA Twitter account says something positive about Arike, there are Lynx fans in the mentions tearing down Arike. Even if the tweet doesn't reference the Rookie of the Year race in any way.

I don't know what it is. Maybe they just have an especially vocal and entitled fanbase after all their years of success.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's really interesting how Collier fans won't stop talking about Arike. And I'm not even primarily referring to this board.

Anytime a prominent WNBA Twitter account says something positive about Arike, there are Lynx fans in the mentions tearing down Arike. Even if the tweet doesn't reference the Rookie of the Year race in any way.

I don't know what it is. Maybe they just have an especially vocal and entitled fanbase after all their years of success.
That's interesting. From where I stand, the Arike fans won't stop talking about Collier. Funny how that works.

The richest of ironies is to hear a Notre Dame fan call others entitled.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score

The real reason is those talking just don't like Arike, at least her attitude. I believe there is a reason for that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's interesting. From where I stand, the Arike fans won't stop talking about Collier. Funny how that works.

The richest of ironies is to hear a Notre Dame fan call others entitled.

I don't see Arike fans tweeting negativity about Collier though. But maybe I'm reading the wrong tweets.

I'm the biggest Arike fan here and I've always given Collier her props.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
perhaps her history of unsportsmanlike, dirty, dangerous play has something to do with our disdain for the young woman. that could taint one's appreciation for her bball performance

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oh I get UConn fans' disdain for Arike. I just don't understand what makes these Lynx fans go after her so hard. Maybe they are all UConn fans, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh I get UConn fans' disdain for Arike. I just don't understand what makes these Lynx fans go after her so hard. Maybe they are all UConn fans, too.
Or maybe the Lynx fans also recognize her horrible character for what it is. It's amazing how that generates some blowback.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Or maybe the Lynx fans also recognize her horrible character for what it is. It's amazing how that generates some blowback.

Well I'll skip argument #423 about her "character", but that's not what these people are going on about.

It's always "what about Phee's stats" or "how many shots did she take" or "how many rebounds did she get" on every single positive post about Arike.

It's like no positive thought can be expressed about her performance without a deranged Lynx fan doing some variation of "but actually" in the comments.

I haven't seen Arike fans doing the same to Collier. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well I'll skip argument #423 about her "character", but that's not what these people are going on about.

It's always "what about Phee's stats" or "how many shots did she take" or "how many rebounds did she get" on every single positive post about Arike.

It's like no positive thought can be expressed about her performance without a deranged Lynx fan doing some variation of "but actually" in the comments.

Well, in the interest of de-escalating, I'll just suggest that you refrain from scouring Twitter replies and playing hostility police. It's one of those "he who looks will find" situations. Console yourself with the knowledge that Arike has ROY in the bag (which I actually called back on July 2).

donalddoowop

Reaction Score

As for your last sentence, you are looking in the wrong places. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
[ ]

Never confuse a player’s oncourt demeanor with her character. I don’t know anything about Arike’s character, and I doubt you do. Some people are very different on court than they are off.

What do Napheesa and Arike think of each other? They exchanged high fives at the end of the last game they played against each other. I believe they’ve played together some for USA Basketball when they were younger. I’ve never heard that they have a problem with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom