Where's all the Ollie apologist? | The Boneyard

Where's all the Ollie apologist?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'd love to hear the new reason why he is not the problem. Honestly, give me something half-way rationale because for better or worse, we are officially BC basketball.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Getting ready to laugh at your reactions to the first 3 years of the King Rice era.

I have no problem with Ollie leaving after the season, but the posts when you realize exactly what kind of coach UConn can get on the open market will be something else.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Getting ready to laugh at your reactions to the first 3 years of the King Rice era.

I have no problem with Ollie leaving after the season, but the posts when you realize exactly what kind of coach UConn can get on the open market will be something else.
Stair, yes I am really scared of who we could get, but what we are dealing with presently is no bueno man.

It's like a spouse who has been abused, but is scared to leave bc they are not sure anyone else could love them

Reaction Score
I'd love to hear the new reason why he is not the problem. Honestly, give me something half-way rationale because for better or worse, we are officially BC basketball.

I’m actually in agreement with this and I’ve been a long supporter of KO. I don’t believe this team is talented enough to win the pk80, and possibly not even enough to win the AAC (cringing is I type that), but to get pummeled by an Arkansas team that may not have much more talent than us is abosultely ridiculus. If they have another tourney miss, he could be gone. You can’t win with this offensive style unless you have great shooters. I’m at a loss.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stair, yes I am really scared of who we could get, but what we are dealing with presently is no bueno man.

It's like a spouse who has been abused, but is scared to leave bc they are not sure anyone else could love them

No sarcasm here -- I am fully aware that Ollie may need to lose his job, and am okay with it. It's a results-oriented game at the end of the day. I used to think KO should be kept because whoever we could get would be worse, and I've moved away from that. I am just concerned that people are not prepared for what the next several years will look like, because it won't be pretty no matter who the coach is.

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino is available. Lorenzo Romar although a terrible coach at least brings in top talent.

Top assistants at Gonzaga, Butler, Villanova need to be given a look. Foreign coaches from top Euopean leagues.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Was one until today.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
No sarcasm here -- I am fully aware that Ollie may need to lose his job, and am okay with it. It's a results-oriented game at the end of the day. I used to think KO should be kept because whoever we could get would be worse, and I've moved away from that. I am just concerned that people are not prepared for what the next several years will look like, because it won't be pretty no matter who the coach is.
I hear you bro, and that's absolutely a valid concern. I know I can be harsh at times..... I just hate seeing this program, which I love, slowly becoming a laughing stock and not being able to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
I’m actually in agreement with this and I’ve been a long supporter of KO. I don’t believe this team is talented enough to win the pk80, and possibly not even enough to win the AAC (cringing is I type that),

We aren't even close to having enough talent to win the AAC. WSU and Cinncy are significantly better than us.

We don't have a frontcourt. An Ivy league guy, a fringe four-star guy in Diarra, an end-of-the-bench guy from an SEC school and a 3-star recruit in Carlton. That's legitimately somewhere between a mid-major and low-major frontcourt. At least we were stuck somewhere between mid-major and high-major with our frontcourt the last few years.

Reaction Score
We aren't even close to having enough talent to win the AAC. WSU and Cinncy are significantly better than us.

We don't have a frontcourt. An Ivy league guy, a fringe four-star guy in Diarra, an end-of-the-bench guy from an SEC school and a 3-star recruit in Carlton. That's legitimately somewhere between a mid-major and low-major frontcourt. At least we were stuck somewhere between mid-major and high-major with our frontcourt the last few years.
WIN THE AAC? Are you kidding? We’re going to be in a dogfight for the middle.

Reaction Score
Like it or not KO will coach this entire season and if we miss the Tourney again I'm sure it will be hard to justify bringing him back at that point.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
See, the problem is, last year although it wasn't reported on too much, Ollie signed an extension, part of the that new contract is a $9 million buyout I think. So unless something drastic happens Ollie is not walking away from that kind of moolah

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Like it or not KO will coach this entire season and if we miss the Tourney again I'm sure it will be hard to justify bringing him back at that point.

This is where I'm at.

I have no idea if the AD is willing or able to afford $3M annually for another basketball coach, but even at $2M+ we should be able to find someone who can produce better results than this.

This was about as embarrassing a UConn loss as I can remember. I'd still love for KO to be the guy we all hope he can be here, but for the past three seasons I've been highly concerned he wouldn't be. What happened today is just another further indication of where were headed with him at the helm.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
See, the problem is, last year although it wasn't reported on too much, Ollie signed an extension, part of the that new contract is a $9 million buyout I think. So unless something drastic happens Ollie is not walking away from that kind of moolah

@Matrim55 makes your Konkol plan a little tougher...

Reaction Score
This was about as embarrassing a UConn loss as I can remember. I'd still love for KO to be the guy we all hope he can be here, but for the past three seasons I've been highly concerned he wouldn't be. What happened today is just another further indication of where were headed with him at the helm.
Yeah sadly I don't know if Ollie has any idea how to fix this....I wish he did but he hasn't demonstrated much to get excited about since 2014 (which was amazing by the way).

Maybe today was the bottom of the barrel but a couple of more nights like tonight and all hope for KO may be lost.

Reaction Score
I am an Ollie apologist. No more. I would have been ok with a close loss. With fight, with some players showing progression. This team quit 2 nights ago with 10 no idea left and started this game with a quitter approach today. There simply are simply no excuses remaining. We aren't likely to ever rise to heights from Calhoun era, but we should always be competitive and occaisionaly vie for conference championships and deep NCAA runs.

Reaction Score

Add this to the fact that we can't shoot and it's like entering a fight with one hand tied behind our back. If our big 3 all play their A games we can hang with most teams, if not we see games like Friday and today. I guess you can blame KO for not recruiting the right kind of kids, but how is he supposed to predict transfers and the turmoil of last season?

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Apologies, I stand corrected, the buyout clause is only $600,000 ...... Considerably less than $9 mil, my bad

Reaction Score
This is where I'm at.

I have no idea if the AD is willing or able to afford $3M annually for another basketball coach, but even at $2M+ we should be able to find someone who can produce better results than this.

Been alot more embarrassing losses before, quite a few under Calhoun. Check out our losses to St John's and Georgetown during the dream season, a couple at Louisville give me time and I'll come up with more. I'm not saying Ollie should go or stay but bad losses happen even to good teams. Ask Arizona how they're week went.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom