Where Will UConn's 2022 Graduates Go in WNBA Draft? | The Boneyard

Where Will UConn's 2022 Graduates Go in WNBA Draft?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In all probability, Christyn, Evina, and Liv will finish their UConn careers at the end of the upcoming season and will be available in the WNBA draft. At what draft position will each of them be drafted?

I haven't done a lot of research on this subject. I haven't looked at any mock drafts for 2022 (are there any at this point?), and I haven't even familiarized myself with other likely graduates in the 2022 college class who will become available to be drafted. So my own projections (below) are based solely on my subjective assessment of how well each of them is suited to the WNBA game and where similar players have gone in previous years.

By the way, of course I know that Dorka MIGHT decide to leave after one year, and others (less likely) might do the same. Or one or more of the three players mentioned above might take advantage of their COVID year and stay for yet another season in Storrs (very unlikely, in my view). But sticking to the most likely scenario, which is that these three and only these three are in next spring's draft, here is my guess as to where they will be drafted:

Christyn will be a lottery pick, around #4 overall. I expect her senior year to look like the second half of her junior year, i.e., stellar. She will be a 12-to-14 point scorer in her senior year, while averaging 3 or 4 assists and 4 or 5 rebounds. To a pro scout, she will appear as a player with all the athletic skills to be a starting guard in the W: speed, quickness, a quick release on her shot, penetration ability, plus ballhawking and quickness on perimeter defense. Her negatives (at this point) are foul proneness and some overall iffiness when the game is on the line, but those are correctable with experience. I think Geno will confirm to anyone who asks that she is a very coachable player.

Evina will improve her 3-point accuracy to about 40% in her senior year, and that will be the key to making her a #8 or #9 overall draft pick. She will be a big guard even in the WNBA, but will still be able to defend most smaller guards (as well as anyone can). She also has enough size to play the "3" in the pro league. I see her as a similar player to Natasha Cloud on the Washington Mystics or Brittany Sykes of the LA Sparks -- both of whom are solid starters for their WNBA teams. She has unusually well-rounded skills. Until now, her only serious negative has been her uncertain 3-point accuracy, but I expect that flaw to be corrected in the coming year.

Olivia willl go around #11 or #12 in the first round, or possibly early in the second round of the draft. I don't expect to see a big change for her in her senior year -- maybe somewhat better reliability on her mid-range jump shot. However, she will benefit from being able to play in the high post on offense, which is more suited to her skillset, particularly passing. Pro scouts will see a very solid defensive rebounder, a good passer, a fast court runner for an inside player, and some potential scoring ability that may be more apparent in the pro game than in college. I also think that they will see a high ceiling for future development, more than with some other college centers who are "what you see is what you get". I expect her to be a backup center in the WNBA -- not enough scoring to be a starter, but enough overall ability to provide solid backup minutes.

Since the Connecticut Sun will be drafting late in the first round, it's possible that they may have a chance to select Liv, and I hope they do. She certainly seems to have a higher ceiling than Beatrice Mompremier, who is their current backup to Jonquel Jones. However, I also think that the Sun will see their biggest positional need in the back court, where their two current starting guards (Jasmine Thomas and Briann January) are getting a bit "long in the tooth". So another possibility would be for them to draft Liv and trade her for a guard who is already in the league, or to trade their draft pick for a starting pro guard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I get it's all speculation at this point, but it's premature. All 3 of them have a lot to prove this season, and how they play will have a direct correlation to where they are drafted... Of course, nothing wrong with the exercise of "if the draft were held today, where would they go?..."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In all probability, Christyn, Evina, and Liv will finish their UConn careers at the end of the upcoming season and will be available in the WNBA draft. At what draft position will each of them be drafted?

I haven't done a lot of research on this subject. I haven't looked at any mock drafts for 2022 (are there any at this point?), and I haven't even familiarized myself with other likely graduates in the 2022 college class who will become available to be drafted. So my own projections (below) are based solely on my subjective assessment of how well each of them is suited to the WNBA game and where similar players have gone in previous years.

By the way, of course I know that Dorka MIGHT decide to leave after one year, and others (less likely) might do the same. Or one or more of the three players mentioned above might take advantage of their COVID year and stay for yet another season in Storrs (very unlikely, in my view). But sticking to the most likely scenario, which is that these three and only these three are in next spring's draft, here is my guess as to where they will be drafted:

Christyn will be a lottery pick, around #4 overall. I expect her senior year to look like the second half of her junior year, i.e., stellar. She will be a 12-to-14 point scorer in her senior year, while averaging 3 or 4 assists and 4 or 5 rebounds. To a pro scout, she will appear as a player with all the athletic skills to be a starting guard in the W: speed, quickness, a quick release on her shot, penetration ability, plus ballhawking and quickness on perimeter defense. Her negatives (at this point) are foul proneness and some overall iffiness when the game is on the line, but those are correctable with experience. I think Geno will confirm to anyone who asks that she is a very coachable player.

Evina will improve her 3-point accuracy to about 40% in her senior year, and that will be the key to making her a #8 or #9 overall draft pick. She will be a big guard even in the WNBA, but will still be able to defend most smaller guards (as well as anyone can). She also has enough size to play the "3" in the pro league. I see her as a similar player to Natasha Cloud on the Washington Mystics or Brittany Sykes of the LA Sparks -- both of whom are solid starters for their WNBA teams. She has unusually well-rounded skills. Until now, her only serious negative has been her uncertain 3-point accuracy, but I expect that flaw to be corrected in the coming year.

Olivia willl go around #11 or #12 in the first round, or possibly early in the second round of the draft. I don't expect to see a big change for her in her senior year -- maybe somewhat better reliability on her mid-range jump shot. However, she will benefit from being able to play in the high post on offense, which is more suited to her skillset, particularly passing. Pro scouts will see a very solid defensive rebounder, a good passer, a fast court runner for an inside player, and some potential scoring ability that may be more apparent in the pro game than in college. I also think that they will see a high ceiling for future development, more than with some other college centers who are "what you see is what you get". I expect her to be a backup center in the WNBA -- not enough scoring to be a starter, but enough overall ability to provide solid backup minutes.

Since the Connecticut Sun will be drafting late in the first round, it's possible that they may have a chance to select Liv, and I hope they do. She certainly seems to have a higher ceiling than Beatrice Mompremier, who is their current backup to Jonquel Jones. However, I also think that the Sun will see their biggest positional need in the back court, where their two current starting guards (Jasmine Thomas and Briann January) are getting a bit "long in the tooth". So another possibility would be for them to draft Liv and trade her for a guard who is already in the league, or to trade their draft pick for a starting pro guard.
Bookmarked. I think you are spot on regarding CW and Evina.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on what I remember from last season, NaLyssa Smith should be the #1 pick. Beyond that, I can't think of anyone (other than Huskies) off the top of my head. Are there any juniors who will be age-eligible? I think all the Huskies could be 1st rounders.

Looking at the 2018 recruiting class, I think Shak Austin could go early, if she decides to leave. Egbo could go fairly early. Maybe Hull. Will Prince, Green, Engstler, or Dixon leave?

Reaction Score
Obviously, it all depends on their last season. All of them could really shine this year. I think that Liv has the potential to be the top draft pick among the three,

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Based on what I remember from last season, NaLyssa Smith should be the #1 pick. Beyond that, I can't think of anyone (other than Huskies) off the top of my head. Are there any juniors who will be age-eligible? I think all the Huskies could be 1st rounders.

Looking at the 2018 recruiting class, I think Shak Austin could go early, if she decides to leave. Egbo could go fairly early. Maybe Hull. Will Prince, Green, Engstler, or Dixon leave?

#3 DaCosta hasn't played since her Fr. year and is now on her 4th school I believe.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah...Rhyne Howard? That seems like the most likely #1 pick. That 2018 class had a bunch of busts.

Cunane (#55) and Hillmon (#58) seem like the clear 2 biggest over achievers based on their ranking on that list.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Joens listed at 5-9, that has to be a misprint isn't it? Iowa St. website lists her as 6-0. She's been so productive, gotta think she'll be a fairly high draft pick.

Reaction Score
Projecting last year's draft turned into a gong show. This year could be similar.

Christyn is a lottery talent... in my opinion. Olivia and Evina probably project to late first round to middle of the second round depending on team fit.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Will she break Rellah Boothe's record ;) ?

Where is she anyway? I don't even remember hearing anything, but looks like she left MTSU (along w/ numerous Hayes sisters).

Which player has had a more disappointing career, both arrived w/ a lot of hype and hardly anything to show for it.

Reaction Score
Minus expansion? Straight to Europe/Middle East Asia, etc.. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a trend...BECAUSE CHA CHING!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What? You don't even know if they are leaving school or taking their covid year. The all can have another year after this.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Williams seems like the strongest prospect of the 3 as an athletic big guard. I think she has the tools to be a better pro than a collegiate player, similar to Tiffany Hayes journey. She's likely top 10, could be top 5 with a big year.

ONO has the frame, length and size but her lack of production against opposing bigs is a red flag. I think she's a 2nd rounder but should get picked up based on potential and defensive presence. A big year could bolster her stock significantly.

Westbrook I think is on the outside looking in as a first rounder right now. She's a big guard and has good skills but with bad knees and likely reduced minutes with Fudd coming, I don't see her improving her stock this year.

Smith and Howard are the strongest prospects IMO. Burrell and Austin also have great upside too as pros. Cunane is solid too but I don't expect her to be a standout as a pro. Hillmon is a great college player but I don't think her skill set translates well to the pro game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yeah...Rhyne Howard? That seems like the most likely #1 pick. That 2018 class had a bunch of busts.

Cunane (#55) and Hillmon (#58) seem like the clear 2 biggest over achievers based on their ranking on that list.
Would add Burrell to the list who was ranked 43 by HG and 119 by Prospect Nation. I think she's the best pro prospect of the 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Would add Burrell to the list who was ranked 43 by HG and 119 by Prospect Nation. I think she's the best pro prospect of the 3.
Are we talking pro potential or college careers? Burrell may very well project higher than the other 2 down the road. If you look at college production overall, she's not on the same level. Didn't really blossom until her Jr. year. Hillmon and Cunane are way ahead of her in overall production during their 3 years so far.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Will she break Rellah Boothe's record ;) ?

I think Boothe only went to 3 schools counting the junior college pit stop. Now if you're talking about someone with leagues of talent wasted by arrogance, attitude and commitment, DeCosta has a long way to go.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Are we talking pro potential or college careers? Burrell may very well project higher than the other 2 down the road. If you look at college production overall, she's not on the same level. Didn't really blossom until her Jr. year. Hillmon and Cunane are way ahead of her in overall production during their 3 years so far.

I agree Cunane/Hillmon have had much more noteworthy collegiate careers. I'm saying I'd add Burrell to the list of players who performed much better than their HS ranking as collegiate players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I forgot about Ryne Howard. She'll go early.

I agree that Rae Burrell could be a good pro. I like her, for a Tennessee player.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
They have the option of the extra year if they choose. With the way the rosters our it’s at least an option.

Reaction Score
They have the option of the extra year if they choose. With the way the rosters our it’s at least an option.
I feel like all three will go pro, unless something out of the ordinary happens. Between next years draft and the one after, they would have better chances going higher after this year. Evina would be a 6th year senior if she stayed, and I can't see her sticking to a team the same year as Boston, Jones, etc.

CW is good enough to be on a team, she is a very good defender. Her defense is her strength, but she could turn into a dynamite player offensively in the pros. So she is a wild card.

I'm not sure what to think about ONO. She is a good passer and a good defender, with good offensive showings against inferior opponents. I want to compare her to Brianna Turner a little, in that they could fill similar roles in the W. But Turner is a 4 who is elite at being able to switch onto guards. ONO isnt as nimble or coordinated at the 4, she is a 5. She is a Cemter in the W that isnt physical enough, and doesnt have the offensive skills. Look at Charli Collier this year, and her team needs her. ONO wont make it unless she improves offensively.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score

Actually if she is still there at 9 good place for her would be Seattle, so Ezi can play some 4, with Stewie at three, more frontcourt depth, Russell, Liv, Ezi, Lou, and Talbot, and Stewie.
That group would matchup with any front court in the league.
And Stewie wouldn't have to keep playing 33+ minutes a game, cut back to about 28 and be fresh at the end of games.

Reaction Score
Obviously, it all depends on their last season. All of them could really shine this year. I think that Liv has the potential to be the top draft pick among the three,
Just don’t see Liv in WNBA. Big girls will eat her up. Mya Hollingshed will go before her. Evina’s leg might cause her to drop into second round. I wouldn’t take a chance on either. CW is a first round lock.

Reaction Score
This year will say a lot. If CW plays like she did the second half of the season or improves, she is likely a top 6. Evina can go a lot of ways. Do her knees improve? Does she start to finish drives from the left side? In any case, she goes to the WNBA late 1st or early 2nd roung. I expect her to be a coach someday. I haven't seen enough of Dorka to say anything. ONO has the most to prove. She did not play well against strong opponents. But, who knows what she has done in the off season. She has always had potential. She is the who knows? for me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Liv will go earlier than most people expect. There aren't that many 6'5" players in the league, and very few of them have the skill level she does. She may not become a star, but she's very tall and skilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom