Where Were Our Sleuths? Embarassing Oversight. | The Boneyard

Where Were Our Sleuths? Embarassing Oversight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Prior to his appearance at First Night, Auriemma said there’s something different about the Huskies this year. Every team feels different, he said, but this team has “a different vibe” that he’s really noticed.
Part of that could be due to the fact that Auriemma scrapped all practice and workout schedules for the summer. He told the team it was up to them if they wanted to practice or work out, they would need to set it up by themselves. He wasn’t going to ask them or make them do anything.
And they responded, he said, holding each other accountable and working hard throughout the spring and summer.
“I did it differently because I want players to take ownership,” Auriemma said. “I want them to feel like ‘This is my team. This is our team.’ And I think too many times today kids are directed to play from a young age… You kind of lose that feeling of just playing for the love of the joy of playing, and I wanted them to get that back.
“And believe it or not, el there’s a difference. I see it. I can feel it.”

UConn Women: Auriemma Arrives In Fine Spirits For First Night

Fine spies we have.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems to me that I recall something to the effect that while Lou was still rehabbing her foot, she was also involved in organizing pickup games, and that she would routinely place Pheesa and Megan on different teams where they would matchup against each other.

Great way to build leadership.

Reaction Score
so is this the new relaxed Geno or is this the Geno that's about to let his team have it because they don't look good in practice the first week?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
so is this the new relaxed Geno or is this the Geno that's about to let his team have it because they don't look good in practice the first week?
I think this is the Geno Auriemma that’s always been willing to make subtle but meaningful changes each year to the way he does things in an effort to continuously improve.

Reaction Score
I think this is the Geno Auriemma that’s always been willing to make subtle but meaningful changes each year to the way he does things in an effort to continuously improve.

well let's see if it evidences itself in other ways this season..........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seems to me that I recall something to the effect that while Lou was still rehabbing her foot, she was also involved in organizing pickup games, and that she would routinely place Pheesa and Megan on different teams where they would matchup against each other.

Great way to build leadership.
Lou was definitely involved, even though she was limited physically for months.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou was definitely involved, even though she was limited physically for months.
UConn WBB has never had a shortage of leadership, and this year is no different. But if there’s one player who will absolutely assume the mantle of leadership for the Huskies this season it will be senior and 2-time AA Katie Lou Samuelson, with Crystal right behind her. I also expect Pheesa to continue to lead by example and (spoiler alert) I expect Megan to become a fearsome competitor and leader in her own right.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn WBB has never had a shortage of leadership, and this year is no different. But if there’s one player who will absolutely assume the mantle of leadership for the Huskies this season it will be senior and 2-time AA Katie Lou Samuelson, with Crystal right behind her. I also expect Pheesa to continue to lead by example and (spoiler alert) I expect Megan to become a fearsome competitor and leader in her own right.

No slight to Lou but I think Crystal will be the dominant personality and vocal intense leader of this team. Lou has a certain 'lightness' to her game and personality that I think would limit her in really laying in to her teammates when needed. Lou will do her part of course but as the unequivocal PG and extension of Geno, there really is no one better suited than Crystal.

Also, I know from interviews how much CW respects Crystal's game and leadership from USA basketball and I think Crystal will take her under her wing as her true mentor. I already saw flashes of it at First Night where Crystal really challenged her with her intensity (not to mention some 3 pt makes against her).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No slight to Lou but I think Crystal will be the dominant personality and vocal intense leader of this team. Lou has a certain 'lightness' to her game and personality that I think would limit her in really laying in to her teammates when needed. Lou will do her part of course but as the unequivocal PG and extension of Geno, there really is no one better suited than Crystal.

Also, I know from interviews how much CW respects Crystal's game and leadership from USA basketball and I think Crystal will take her under her wing as her true mentor. I already saw flashes of it at First Night where Crystal really challenged her with her intensity (not to mention some 3 pt makes against her).
While I agree that Crystal will be a strong leader for this team, I’m not sure that I would agree that Lou has a “lightness” to her game or personality. The whole West Coast layback attitude that Lou was tagged with when she first showed up at Storrs belies the fact that she’s as tough as nails with the ability to play through pain and illness along with a fiery drive to win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I agree that Crystal will be a strong leader for this team, I’m not sure that I would agree that Lou has a “lightness” to her game or personality. The whole West Coast layback attitude that Lou was tagged with when she first showed up at Storrs belies the fact that she’s as tough as nails with the ability to play through pain and illness along with a fiery drive to win.

No sense arguing about minor differences of opinion. (1a vs 1b)

Just to be clear, I used 'lightness' because her game and style has an exuberance and subtlety that I find fairly unique. It is a bit hard for me to find the right words to describe but I in no way meant it to mean laid back or to question her physical or mental toughness or her drive to win.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Just to be clear, I used 'lightness' because her game and style has an exuberance and subtlety that I find fairly unique. It is a bit hard for me to find the right words to describe but I in no way meant it to mean laid back or to question her physical or mental toughness or her drive to win.
If you’re saying that Lou smiles a lot and appears to be having a great deal of fun on the court, I couldn’t agree more. Reminds me of Steff an DT to some extent, two great players that always had fun playing a game they loved.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

WHAT! This is our raison d'etre , for jimminy sakes. Just look at how we quickly turned Geno's upbeat statement into a dog fight over team leadership. I need a certain amount of conflict a day just to avoid slipping further into ...ah, what the heck was I talking about?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
WHAT! This is our raison d'etre , for jimminy sakes. Just look at how we quickly turned Geno's upbeat statement into a dog fight over team leadership. I need a certain amount of conflict a day just to avoid slipping further into ...ah, what the heck was I talking about?

You seem pretty capable of arguing with yourself. No worries. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW, get ready for more of this this season:

I Know It Was You.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Prior to his appearance at First Night, Auriemma said there’s something different about the Huskies this year. Every team feels different, he said, but this team has “a different vibe” that he’s really noticed.
Part of that could be due to the fact that Auriemma scrapped all practice and workout schedules for the summer. He told the team it was up to them if they wanted to practice or work out, they would need to set it up by themselves. He wasn’t going to ask them or make them do anything.
And they responded, he said, holding each other accountable and working hard throughout the spring and summer.
“I did it differently because I want players to take ownership,” Auriemma said. “I want them to feel like ‘This is my team. This is our team.’ And I think too many times today kids are directed to play from a young age… You kind of lose that feeling of just playing for the love of the joy of playing, and I wanted them to get that back.
“And believe it or not, el there’s a difference. I see it. I can feel it.”

UConn Women: Auriemma Arrives In Fine Spirits For First Night

Fine spies we have.
Ownership, taking responsibility for yourself is extremely hard. You can't bitch about the boss because he is you. You can't complain about the schedule because it is yours. You can't complain about the results because you set the goals. All good groups/businesses give ownerships to otherwise employees. The hardest person you can ever work for is yourself.
Probably the best lessons Geno has ever taught. How to go Uconn (team and staff)

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom