Where to eat near Storrs | The Boneyard

Where to eat near Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi,

Heading to the game from Long Island tomorrow. Taking 395 up and over to Storrs - it's been a little while since I've been near campus, so what are some restaurants you'd recommend I stop by at before tip? I don't necessarily need to eat on campus, anywhere in a 10 mile range to the east and south (minus Willy) would be fine.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction Score
Speaking of that, I may be pressed for time getting there tomorrow. Is the Student Union food court open tomorrow? May just need to grab a quick bite before the game as opposed to a real sit down meal.

As for the opening poster, there's Geno's in the new Storrs Center, Chuck 'n Auggies in the Student Union. Down 1-95 towards Willimantic there's Angelino's which is Italian, an Applebee's also I believe.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know you said minus Willy, but Willimantic Brewery is by far the best option within that radius imo.

Bidwell Tavern in Coventry is hit or miss (more of the latter) these days in my experience.

Reaction Score
Campus options have changed, especially with Storrs Downtown, but each restaurant will likely be pretty busy for gameday.

Best options there are Dog Lane Cafe (not sure if you've ever been to Vanilla Bean Cafe in Pomfret, but same owners and same style), Mooyah's for burgers, or Geno's Grille.

Reaction Score
Good suggestion on Willi Brew - I was thinking Bidwell but that's usually a mob scene on game days and Saturday nights. Too bad it's gone down hill - loved that place while I was a student.

Reaction Score
Actually just called Chuck 'n Auggies because you got me wondering. They are closed tomorrow. Open this week from 11-2 and back full time on the 18th. Surprised they are open during this week but not before one of the bigger games on campus.

Union food court is open from 5-7:30 pm tomorrow only bc of the game I was told.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What type of food are you looking for? Willington Pizza off 195 is pretty good ( great buffalo chicken pizza)

Reaction Score
Always a must-do every time I go back. I guess I'm interested in what's new and good within a few miles of campus - that won't require a reservation for 3 people

Reaction Score
Speaking of that, I may be pressed for time getting there tomorrow. Is the Student Union food court open tomorrow? May just need to grab a quick bite before the game as opposed to a real sit down meal.

As for the opening poster, there's Geno's in the new Storrs Center, Chuck 'n Auggies in the Student Union. Down 1-95 towards Willimantic there's Angelino's which is Italian, an Applebee's also I believe.

I think angelinos might have closed. Last time I drove by it looked closed but didn't check to make sure.

I personally would stop at Reins exit 65 off 84. Same time and distance going 95-91-84 vs 95-395-32

Reaction Score
Hi,

Heading to the game from Long Island tomorrow. Taking 395 up and over to Storrs - it's been a little while since I've been near campus, so what are some restaurants you'd recommend I stop by at before tip? I don't necessarily need to eat on campus, anywhere in a 10 mile range to the east and south (minus Willy) would be fine.

Thanks,
Mike
You are better served heading up the Hutch to the Merrit to 91 to 84.

Reaction Score
methodology said:
I think angelinos might have closed. Last time I drove by it looked closed but didn't check to make sure. I personally would stop at Reins exit 65 off 84. Same time and distance going 95-91-84 vs 95-395-32

They are still open I believe. Their website is still up and active.

Reaction Score
You can always go the the Nathan Hale on campus. Pretty good pub food.

Reaction Score
Not if one arrives by ferry....
I'd take Rt 8 to the Merrit and go the same way if going into Bridgeport...if taking the ferry from Orient then yeah up 395 to 32.

Reaction Score
Ate at Geno's recently. Food and price were excellent. Had plenty of time to game at 6'30. Great atmosphere---filled with Husky fans:):):):):):)

Reaction Score
I know you said minus Willy, but Willimantic Brewery is by far the best option within that radius imo.

Bidwell Tavern in Coventry is hit or miss (more of the latter) these days in my experience.
I was thinking of mentioning Willy Brew but we are going pregame tomorrow. I didn't want to take the chance that it would decrease the odds of us getting seated without a wait. Yes, I am a selfish old bastard. lol.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
They are still open I believe. Their website is still up and active.

Angelino's in Mansfield is closed. Angelino's in Manchester is still open.

Most of the privately owned restaurants and retail stores not involved with the Storrs downtown development in Mansfield have either already closed or will close soon. Exceptions exist (like the Altnaveigh Inn and Willington Pizza) but this is not an unanticipated consequence of the project, if not a planned result.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
logo.png

Reaction Score
When did Angelino's close? Was it recent? I saw online the address for Storrs Road location in Mansfield had it open today. Weird.

On edit: just saw on Yelp that they have closed. Sad, had a lot of memories there when I was a student. Went there with family that came up before games, after graduation, etc.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Sneaky good food that nobody ever mentions: Sarah's Pockets. It's located above Teds. Place has BOMB hummus, everything is made fresh. Check out the menu.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Place has BOMB hummus, everything is made fresh.
Hummus is the anti-wings, suggesting hummus for pre-game vittles is bad for the mojo. I know this for a fact, during a road trip to a PC game (2010) we decided to each bring our own food because we wouldn't have time to stop.
The back seat had Capicola grinders. My friend was driving and his new wife was a vegetarian. They had hummus and carrot sticks. UConn lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom