Where should Stewie rank in MVP voting? | The Boneyard

Where should Stewie rank in MVP voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel has posed this question on her Twitter:

It's fascinating to see that most respondents so far would put her well within the top 5. These include Monique Currie (of the SA Stars), who answered: "Top 3 behind Charles and Ogwumike."

Another commenter correctly points out that Stewie's stats this year are uncannily similar to those of Parker's 2008 rookie campaign, when she won both ROY and MVP:

Parker 2008: 18.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 3.4 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.8 topg, 52.3% fg, 73.3% ft
Stewie 2016: 18.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 3.4 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.4 topg, 45.6% fg, 82.4% ft

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah I myself would have Stewie 5th behind Maya and EDD, but ahead of McCoughtry and Parker.

Same here. Fifth behind some order of Ogwumike, Moore, Charles, and Delle Donne. Though I could see 4th if you want to penalize EDD for missing games.

From a stats perspective, Stewart is 6th in PER and 5th in win shares per basketball reference. Compare to Ogwumike (1st in both by a mile), Delle Donne (2nd PER, 4th WS). Moore (3rd PER, 2nd WS), Charles (4th PER, 7th WS). It's not all about stats but stats are the strongest part of her case to me because you can't point to team success.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Same here. Fifth behind some order of Ogwumike, Moore, Charles, and Delle Donne. Though I could see 4th if you want to penalize EDD for missing games.
It's not all about stats but stats are the strongest part of her case to me because you can't point to team success.

Still to be determined
They're peaking
If they ever figure how to regularly get Jewel and Stewie in synch, no telling how good they'll be
They got a coupla gals don't like to lose.:)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Still to be determined
They're peaking
If they ever figure how to regularly get Jewel and Stewie in synch, no telling how good they'll be
They got a coupla gals don't like to lose.:)

They need to win the last two games just to get to .500

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They need to win the last two games just to get to .500

They're in the playoffs
What did my stockbroker always say?

Past performance is no guarantee of future.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

From a stats perspective, Stewart is 6th in PER and 5th in win shares per basketball reference. Compare to Ogwumike (1st in both by a mile), Delle Donne (2nd PER, 4th WS). Moore (3rd PER, 2nd WS), Charles (4th PER, 7th WS). It's not all about stats but stats are the strongest part of her case to me because you can't point to team success.
I'm with Plebe and Orang: about 5th, which is outstanding.

One difference between Candace's rookie year and Stewie's rookie year:

The WNBA players (and the competition for MVP) now include Tina Charles, Maya Moore, and Elena DelleDonne, each of whom has already won an MVP award and is in the conversation almost ever year.

Reaction Score
I think it's Tina- hands down. She not only dominates the stats across the board. But she has also almost single-handedly taken the Liberty to the third best record in the league. Not much at guard, no other great players to take the heat off her (as Ogwumike has, and as Maya has in Minnesota).

I think she's been absolutely amazing this year. Breanna has the best point guard to help her, and then there's an All-American shooting guard. So she's got a lot of help.

Tina for MVP; Breanna for ROY.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue Bird, 1st Team All-WNBA per ESPN. I'm glad to see her getting some respect.

BTW, the former Huskies account for 60% of the 1st Team. Maybe Geno is a good coach after all. ;)

See, that is the thing. It isn't about football games There isn't a WNBA or International team that doesn't put extra points of the draft board for "Coached by Geno et al". I'm not going to Tonyland tonight, but for one particular recruit who is keeping people waiting and hoping I'd just like to say: Take heed and ponder.

Stewie: I love her, yet I'm surprised how amazing her season has been. Stewie, I just wanna say: You were dogging on us, girl! :);):)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's Tina- hands down. She not only dominates the stats across the board. But she has also almost single-handedly taken the Liberty to the third best record in the league. Not much at guard, no other great players to take the heat off her (as Ogwumike has, and as Maya has in Minnesota).

I think she's been absolutely amazing this year. Breanna has the best point guard to help her, and then there's an All-American shooting guard. So she's got a lot of help.
Tina for MVP; Breanna for ROY.

Must be kin to Cierra Burdick.
Mechelle Voepel thinks Neka will win the MVP.
Why Sparks' Ogwumike should win WNBA MVP.
"Ogwumike's true shooting percentage -- which takes into account 2-pointers, 3-pointers and free throws -- is 73.8. That ranks as the best in league history."
"Then there is this stat: Charles has missed almost as many shots this season, 349, as Ogwumike has taken, 357."

Hands down, man down, Mic drop for Neka.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

The WNBA players (and the competition for MVP) now include Tina Charles, Maya Moore, and Elena DelleDonne, each of whom has already won an MVP award and is in the conversation almost ever year.
22068170.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly! Candace had a great rookie year, but she wasn't competing against Maya, Tina, or Elena. All of them are at least on a par with Candace.

Candace won the WNBA MVP in 2013 competing against Tina, DT, Jackson & Catch ( all former MVPs) and also Maya & EDD (future MVPs). In 2013 Elena was a rookie but I'd bet Maya and Tina were better players than each was as rookies and apparently so was Candace for that one season.
Candace did not just have a great rookie year she was the WNBA MVP as a rookie.

Reaction Score
Candace won the WNBA MVP in 2013 competing against Tina, DT, Jackson & Catch ( all former MVPs) and also Maya & EDD (future MVPs). In 2013 Elena was a rookie but I'd bet Maya and Tina were better players than each was as rookies and apparently so was Candace for that one season.
Jackson's last season 2012, and in 2008 she only played the 1st 21 games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Exactly. And Parker winning that year was odd (to me at least) given that Dee averaged a full 5.5 PPG more than Parker (Dee averaged just over 24 PPG that season playing less minutes per game than Parker). In fact, it was Dee's 2nd most prolific scoring season in her amazing career (she was 25+ PPG in 2006).

IIRC Cappie and Siemone both had better scoring averages also, but it seems the committee felt Parker deserved the award. I thought it should have come down to Dee or Cappie (21+ PPG that season also averaging less minutes per game than Parker)...

But bottom line I agree that competing against Dee, Tina, Maya, EDD, Angel, etc. is a tad different than competing against Dee, Cappie, Siemone, Becky Hammon, Tina Thompson, Sophia Young, Ashja Jones (those were the top scorers that season). Talent in women's hoops has continued to grow and improve and has become more and more amazing!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jackson's last season 2012, and in 2008 she only played the 1st 21 games.
Good catch. Rookie Candace unseated two time MVP Lauren Jackson to win MVP in 2008.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In 2008, Candace didn't have to compete with Maya, Tina, or Elena.

In 2013, I thought that Maya would have been a more deserving recipient. Candace has name recognition and seems to get more credit than deserved. Mechelle has her in the top 6 this year. I do not; I have Angel and Sue ahead of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom