Where is our weakness? | The Boneyard

Where is our weakness?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just excited because for the first time in 7 years it looks like we have a competent basketball team from top to bottom. But with this team at full strength, lubed up and playing in "mid-season" form, I don't see any glaring weaknesses. We have 3 legitimate scoring threats who can do it at all 3 levels (Bouknight, Cole, Sanogo). We have depth off the bench with Polley & Carlton. We have a freshmen stud who can play 1-4, and honestly might be our best passer / point guard. Our guy who starts at the 4 can shut down any NBA style big we face. Our starting forward is a rebound machine and can be an offensive weapon if needed. Our shooting is a potential liability at times but our offensive rebound makes up for that.

Hats off to Hurley & Co. for not only getting the pieces of the puzzle, but now getting the most out of each piece. I knew with time he would figure it out, and he is not the kind of guy who is going to take his foot off the gas now that he got us zooming forward.

One game at a time, for 9 more games... LETS DO THI5.

Reaction Score
We do not match up well with teams who can place five guys outside the arc and shoot. Pulling Sanogo and Whaley out of the middle and forcing them to play outside the paint or worse going with a smaller lineup, which I think plays to the other teams strength. Not too many teams can do that. I’d rather we combat this with our big lineup and pound the paint.

Reaction Score
Cons:

No post-season experience on the entire roster
Poor shooting team
foul prone inside
Have not beaten a top team other than USC back in-game number 3

Pros:

Our defense has played great
Rebounding and relentless on the glass
Peaking at the right time
Healthy
All-American that can take a game over late
Solid 9 player rotation
Playing with confidence

Reaction Score
Cons:

No post-season experience on the entire roster
Poor shooting team
foul prone inside
Have not beaten a top team other than USC back in-game number 3

Pros:

Our defense has played great
Rebounding and relentless on the glass
Peaking at the right time
Healthy
All-American that can take a game over late
Solid 9 player rotation
Playing with confidence

knock on wood ^^

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Three weaknesses on the floor, as opposed to experience/success in the postseason:
1. We cover well as it happens, but I still see too many guys beat off the dribble. Jackson tends to give up the baseline. Gaffney can be beat by a quick point guard, as can Cole. That can break down the D, as you have to scramble to recover.
2. The outside shooting has been excellent lately, but could be problematic if we're off from 3. Bouknight, Cole, Gaffney and Polley are the guys that have to keep that 40%+ level of stroking it from the arc. If they're off or rushed, that would be trouble.
3. We have a tendency to foul. If two bigs get early fouls we have depth but it does mess with the rotations.

There can also be matchup issues, for example with a big like Garza, depending on the draw mostly.

But I like our chances :cool:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When Sanogo or Carlton have to guard the perimeter.

Sometimes we look like the Globetrotters vs the press and sometimes we look like Bolton High JV.

inconsistent offense.

Cold starts

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Consistency in execution, however you want to apply that individually and collectively. GT in the first half was the high point against a broken team. Everyone taking and making comfortable shots, mostly staying out of foul trouble (Whaley aside, need him for more minutes), and not giving up easy baskets on defensive breakdowns.

What does that all have in common? Playing intelligently not making selfish, low percentage decisions, doing your job.

Reaction Score
I think we can tend to have offensive lulls and we also foul too much which scares me in a tournament game. I also think we are deep and well coached so those weaknesses will be hard to exploit. Let’s GO!!!

Reaction Score
While strengths are the sum of your parts, so too are weaknesses.

Bouk drifts and gets taken out of his game when things don't go his way. More of a Ty Martin game persona would be helpful.

Cole needs to penetrate the lane with a pass first mentality.

Adama needs to develop a quick kick out pass.

Gaff needs to have his confidence match his athleticism..

AJ needs to elevate on his shot.

Whaley needs to use more backspin.

Polley needs to realize how far you run doesn't dictate how open you will be.

Reaction Score
1- We are drought prone. We often go four or five minutes without a hoop.
2- We are foul prone. Which means...
2a- We could lose a vital player at any time.
2b- A large disparity in points at the stripe.
3- With the exception of the first DePaul game we have not shown the ability to comeback late in games.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just excited because for the first time in 7 years it looks like we have a competent basketball team from top to bottom. But with this team at full strength, lubed up and playing in "mid-season" form, I don't see any glaring weaknesses. We have 3 legitimate scoring threats who can do it at all 3 levels (Bouknight, Cole, Sanogo). We have depth off the bench with Polley & Carlton. We have a freshmen stud who can play 1-4, and honestly might be our best passer / point guard. Our guy who starts at the 4 can shut down any NBA style big we face. Our starting forward is a rebound machine and can be an offensive weapon if needed. Our shooting is a potential liability at times but our offensive rebound makes up for that.

Hats off to Hurley & Co. for not only getting the pieces of the puzzle, but now getting the most out of each piece. I knew with time he would figure it out, and he is not the kind of guy who is going to take his foot off the gas now that he got us zooming forward.

One game at a time, for 9 more games... LETS DO THI5.
Great analysis. my concern about fouling too much (18% more than opponents) on D seems to be less of an issue the past few game. Not sure if it’s because we r playing smarter D or refs are just calling fewer fouls as the post season approaches. We also need to be able to make key free throws. Overall I think we are in a position to have a fun postseason run. Get a good bracket and who knows??

Reaction Score
surprised nobody mentioned this...we foul a ton. i could see foul trouble and other teams getting in the bonus hurting us.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A rare thread in which almost all posts answer the question.

The only mentioned item that we have not yet seen addressed successfully (at least once throughout an entire game) is passing out of a clogged lane during over-penetration by a guard or the double-teaming of a big.

I thought that it was a missed opportunity to not work on this in yesterday's second half.

It is worth noting that while DH has not yet been to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, 3 staff members have UConn Championship rings: Moore as a coach twice, and KFree & Talik as players on those two different teams.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Our weaknesses, ranked:

5. Small teams that spread the floor can neutralize our bigs
4. Only one guy who can put his head down and just get us a bucket
3. Bad FT shooting
2. Inconsistent 3-point shooting
1. Only one guy (Cole) who consistently runs the offense and manufactures good looks

If we lose this month, it'll be because somebody took Cole out of the game and nobody else was there to start the offense and run the show, and it'll all devolve into a bunch of contested Bouk isos.

EDIT: I should add that this is exactly what happened to us in 1996 when Mississippi St. took Doron out of the game and Ricky was hurt. It's not a coincidence that the best UConn teams of all-time have all had two true PGs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The only mentioned item that we have not yet seen addressed successfully (at least once throughout an entire game) is passing out of a clogged lane during over-penetration by a guard or the double-teaming of a big.

I thought that it was a missed opportunity to not work on this in yesterday's second half.

It is worth noting that while DH has not yet been to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, 3 staff members have UConn Championship rings: Moore as a coach twice, and KFree & Talik as players on those two different teams.
Great points on having 3 staff members who have won championships either by coaching or playing.
Invaluable to have this time of year.

Reaction Score
Like many others have pointed out, lack of experience and the fact that nobody on this team “knows how to win”. In 2011, we were very young and inexperienced, but Kemba was on a Final Four team, and I remember reading at the time how Kemba played such a huge leadership role with the other players by telling them what to expect at the Final Four and that really helped the team in not getting overwhelmed. Same thing with Shabazz in 2014.

The other thing I worry about is If Bouknight is off, will others step up to fill that role?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As for the 5 out teams we may have to play..............

I'm not nearly as worried about this as I was earlier in the season.

Why? Jackson. Pure and simple. If a team goes five out he can guard any 3 or stretch 4 who wants to hang on the perimeter and he is plenty quick enough to guard them should they put it on the floor.

If teams go five out, I'll take Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Martin and Whaley all day long.

Reaction Score
Zone defenses still give us issues.

A scenario we want to avoid, but which is going to be really tempting for the Committee, is making us a 6/7 seed and giving Syracuse their typical generous treatment with a 10/11.
i am worried about this as well. we have seen almost no zone in the big east, but we have historically struggled against it.

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting, particularly end of games.

Offensive plays with game on the line (a la Shabazz or Kemba), taking the big shot. Team has not been in that position really this season; but any run in March will require moments like this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yeah, I read the thread title and first few responses and was certain someone would chime in with their thoughts on the Oprah, Harry, Meghan interview tonight.

Reaction Score
Coach Cooley today
Screenshots_2021-03-07-13-53-57.png

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-03-07-13-53-57.png
    Screenshots_2021-03-07-13-53-57.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 81

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics