Where is Mazzonne? | The Boneyard

Where is Mazzonne?

Reaction Score
For the love of god can someone please ask at the next coaches show or someone in the know if Mazzonne is gone from the program?? Looks like he is not there by the way we played today??
Anyone know if he’s still here???

Reaction Score
For the love of god can someone please ask at the next coaches show or someone in the know if Mazzonne is gone from the program?? Looks like he is not there by the way we played today??
Anyone know if he’s still here???
I'll second that motion.

Reaction Score
I heard last time there was wyoming. For vandy he pretty much set up spanos how to call the game. Todays play calling was rediculous

Reaction Score
Mazzonne is friends with Spanos. Maybe he will only help out if Spanos is coaching that day. Saturday's coach really should not have been coaching for any FBS team. I believe if Lou Spanos was there, we would have won.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t know, but sick or not, this is his football team, and they pooped the bed yesterday.

Reaction Score
Last year: Mack Brown stated If a coach gets sick during the season, NCAA has approved ability for teams to use an interim from analysts/GAs to replace them while quarantined.

We should have had Mazzonne fill in in-person in Amherst if that was allowed.

Reaction Score
Mike Moyseenko was calling all the plays. Benedict was on sideline all game looking on like the rest of us--embarrassed. Play calling was abysmal. Personnel groupings were at times absurd. Their squib kick recovery at end of game was coaching malfeasance. We weren't prepared. Mazzone is gone. Wyoming was his last game. He had pushed innovation (at least for us it was--lol) such as reverses and TE (Rose) passes. Moyseenko loves sideline throws for 1 yard gains. You can be sure other coaches are watching film on Carter, Marion, etc. The head Parker search guy said job #1of the new HC is to keep our young talent from entering the portal.

Reaction Score
Mike Moyseenko was calling all the plays. Benedict was on sideline all game looking on like the rest of us--embarrassed. Play calling was abysmal. Personnel groupings were at times absurd. Their squib kick recovery at end of game was coaching malfeasance. We weren't prepared. Mazzone is gone. Wyoming was his last game. He had pushed innovation (at least for us it was--lol) such as reverses and TE (Rose) passes. Moyseenko loves sideline throws for 1 yard gains. You can be sure other coaches are watching film on Carter, Marion, etc. The head Parker search guy said job #1of the new HC is to keep our young talent from entering the portal.
Moyseenko needs to stop calling plays.
They are predictable and don’t work. My 20 year old can tell me what we are going to do before every play. If he can see it so can the opposite team.. He’s terrible with the QB coaching too.

Where is a competent coach on this team?? With Spanos, Giofre and Edsall out for Yale I don’t see a win here either.

We are at a new low which I didn’t think was possible. Mazzone needs to come back.. is there anyway he can come advise for the remainder of the season??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Voting in favor.

motion to amend to include:

1. Who was calling plays?
2. Why Brewton our best returner wasn’t returning and ran one play.
3. Why we passed once to a Tight End all game and then on the most critical play of the game to a second TE who wasn’t our best.
I am guessing that Brewton was hurt. I never saw him on the field during the game. He was standing on the sidelines. Maybe they didn't want to risk further injury by allowing him to return kickoffs back. Watching him return kickoffs has been one of my few joys watching Uconn play football this year.

Reaction Score
The head Parker search guy said job #1of the new HC is to keep our young talent from entering the portal.
A profound statement of the obvious, but good to hear someone with influence thinks so. I've said twice or three times on this board that retention is the key. I suppose I should have specified who should be retained. Certainly not the staff.

Reaction Score
We are at a new low which I didn’t think was possible. Mazzone needs to come back.. is there anyway he can come advise for the remainder of the season??
Advising is like pushing on a rope. I do not blame him if he is gone.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'd much rather our new HC be more focused on making our team a winner. If our young players enter the portal than so be it. Outside of Carter and Tyler Phommachanh, who has shown anything this season that can't be replaced via the portal? Honestly, Carter is the only one I'd want to keep.

If the search firm is focusing on keeping our current players as a priority for new coach, we're screwed.

Reaction Score
I'd much rather our new HC be more focused on making our team a winner. If our young players enter the portal than so be it. Outside of Carter and Tyler Phommachanh, who has shown anything this season that can't be replaced via the portal? Honestly, Carter is the only one I'd want to keep.

If the search firm is focusing on keeping our current players as a priority for new coach, we're screwed.
The young WRs are not bad.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The young WRs are not bad.
I'm not saying our young players aren't good. I'm just saying that I wouldn't make it be the priority that our new HC be able to keep them out of the portal. We have some decent young players at different positions but this team needs to turn it around quickly and that's going to happen with an innovative OC/HC and using the portal.

Reaction Score
At the risk of stealing business from the vaunted Parker Executive Search crew, priority number one in the hiring of a prospective head coach should be demonstrated ability to recruit players more talented than those presently on the team. I'll make sure to give my bank account and routing number to the UConn Controller's Office in the morning so that my unparalleled consulting advice is appropriately remunerated.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t over-analyze the job #1 comment by the search firm. It arose from a discussion about recruiting and improving the roster. A statement was made by a participant that the first job of the new HC should be to scour the portal for new talent. That’s when the “Parker” guy said that players in the portal are there for lots of reasons and figuring that out is key— but upon hiring, the first job of the new HC is to evaluate his players—and keep the most talented from entering the portal.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying our young players aren't good. I'm just saying that I wouldn't make it be the priority that our new HC be able to keep them out of the portal. We have some decent young players at different positions but this team needs to turn it around quickly and that's going to happen with an innovative OC/HC and using the portal.
If you have talented young players (like Tyler Phommachanh, Carter, etc.) and they leave, they will need to be replaced. Replacement requires more time and effort, and introduces risk.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
There's definitely an interpretation issue here. They're just saying that once the coach is hired, the first thing he needs to do is retain. It has nothing to do with who gets hired or why they get hired, just that it's the first thing they should do. Steps 1A and 1B should be assemble a staff and retain players. Given the max of 25 recruits, we can't afford to get gutted and have a shortage.
First interview question should be "How do you feel about the transfer portal?". Any RE like answer and we can stop there.

Back to the topic at hand. If Mazzone is MIA, let's get him back as OC for the week, assuming FG is still unavailable. He should be retained for as long as we can keep him. The difference since he arrived was huge. I was enjoying the change of pace and mix of plays including the razzle dazzle plays.

Reaction Score
There's definitely an interpretation issue here. They're just saying that once the coach is hired, the first thing he needs to do is retain. It has nothing to do with who gets hired or why they get hired, just that it's the first thing they should do. Steps 1A and 1B should be assemble a staff and retain players. Given the max of 25 recruits, we can't afford to get gutted and have a shortage.
First interview question should be "How do you feel about the transfer portal?". Any RE like answer and we can stop there.

Back to the topic at hand. If Mazzone is MIA, let's get him back as OC for the week, assuming FG is still unavailable. He should be retained for as long as we can keep him. The difference since he arrived was huge. I was enjoying the change of pace and mix of plays including the razzle dazzle plays.

This is the key, we were actually enjoying UConn football. The promise that a better day was coming was enough for so many of us after what we've endured. All the goodwill generated by the close losses was completely flushed down the toilet against UMass. That seems to be entirely due to the absence of Mazzone and his brand of offense. If he left on his own that's one thing, but if we let him go, what a huge blunder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom