WHERE IS CTFOOTBALL12!!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WHERE IS CTFOOTBALL12!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are missing the point.When UConn offered the kid in the summer they should have known or confirmed where he stood academically with the NCAA. If this detail was covered, then Dobbs could have chosen a different route to get to his dream school. Period.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are missing the point.When UConn offered the kid in the summer they should have known or confirmed where he stood academically with the NCAA. If this detail was covered, then Dobbs could have chosen a different route to get to his dream school. Period.

That's not how it works though. Teams can't just call up the NCAA whenever they want and ask them to review a kid's transcript, especially when they don't even have the kid's transcript.

Reaction Score
This kid did EVERYTHING that was asked of him. He went prep because he had academic issues to settle and he excelled in the classroom at Milford. He MAY come up one credit short because of a class from high school that may not meet the NCAA standard. If Uconn would have clarified this in the summer when they offered him, this would be an non-issue, considering they are the experts not a 18 yr kid nor his family and he could have chosen a different route to achieve his goal.

Shame on those of you that started talking about UCONN's academic standards, this is not a standards issue relative to performance in the classroom. This is a kid that excelled in the classroom at Milford & excelled on the field, moving from a 2* recruit to a 4* recruit. All the while staying faithful to the hometown school. Wow if you will treat a hometown recruit like this......just wow.........

Reaction Score
That's not how it works though. Teams can't just call up the NCAA whenever they want and ask them to review a kid's transcript, especially when they don't even have the kid's transcript.

You are wrong! Schools standard M.O. is not to hand out schlorships UNLESS they have had their academic advisors review the transcripts and confirmed if the classes taken have cleared through the Clearinghouse.

Reaction Score
Schools have a template, they can either go the Clearinghouse website to verify classes from high schools across the country or they can call for guidance.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a template, but it is often tough for some schools(high school and college) to determine what the NCAA deems to be a core class. Still, the point remains, a school can't get the NCAA to review the eligibility of a recruit essentially a year before the recruit steps foot on campus.

Reaction Score
Schools have a template, they can either go the Clearinghouse website to verify classes from high schools across the country or they can call for guidance.

Dude, do you really think UConn didn't check into this at all? That it was apparent to someone on a message board, but not our staff? Do these thoughts really go through your head?

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a template, but it is often tough for some schools(high school and college) to determine what the NCAA deems to be a core class. Still, the point remains, a school can't get the NCAA to review the eligibility of a recruit essentially a year before the recruit steps foot on campus.

You are WRONG!!! I speak from a point of knowledge, it was not a year it was 6 MONTHS. You would think that a BCS school that is taking a kid after a semester would have this covered immediately. As a standard practice most schools will complete this before they offer. I have young man in the process and I know the recruiting process very well.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this UCHuskies, if the school checked this out, why did they not refer Dobbs to a JUCO, because what he needed could not be done in prep?????? Since you think you have it all figured out......

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If you are correct than the AD is remiss. Unfortunately the AD was in a state of change when things could have been handled differently. JH was the AD at the time. You have this passage from this linked article:

The article is still someone's opinion and therefore not proof. But if this report is accurate and your claim that UConn had the opportunity to evaluate Montrell Dobbs transcripts in June, then the problem stemmed from JH and UConn is still being impacted by his footprint.

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/1/...-time-for-jeff-hathaway-to-start-updating-his

UConn's insistence on academic success is not a problem -- in fact it might be the one thing Hathaway should be praised for (at least with the football team) -- but reports that Hathaway would not even go to meetings with Randy Edsall to discuss admissions issues are terrible sign. If sitting down with the coaches to work through a problem isn't Hathaway's job, what is?

Reaction Score
You are WRONG!!! I speak from a point of knowledge, it was not a year it was 6 MONTHS. You would think that a BCS school that is taking a kid after a semester would have this covered immediately. As a standard practice most schools will complete this before they offer. I have young man in the process and I know the recruiting process very well.

This is a pointless argument because I don't even think we're arguing about the same thing.

Reaction Score
Lets think this through, if a kid is coming to your campus as an early enrollee in January. What BCS school would not verify the kid is taking the proper classes at the prep school to ensure everything was moving along smoothly?????

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lets think this through, if a kid is coming to your campus as an early enrollee in January. What BCS school would not verify the kid is taking the proper classes at the prep school to ensure everything was moving along smoothly?????
The university was not at fault. An individual within the university was at fault and he is no longer with the university.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hope not^. i still say he can play his cards right and get to a local CC and get that needed point/credit to get to uconn for the summer/fall.

mr turner-thanks for your info in this thread also. it suprises me that some here don't know who you are considering all the milford chat on here.

Reaction Score
So coach P and company get a pass on this? Not buying that it's JH's fault alone.

If I'm the head coach I know what my commit needs at prep school BEFORE he goes.

If he was short of high school credits/points/core classes, etc I know about it well before now.

This had to be ongoing and everyone hoped the clearinghouse would give the green light. Obviously they didn't.

Reaction Score
Guys here is what you are missing. The Clearinghouse has not had their say because the kid HAS NOT even registered yet. This is all coming from the school. So we will see what happens with that. The issue with going to JUCO is that you can't just get one credit to fulfill HS requirements, going JUCO forces you to stay and take enough credit to qualify as a transfer and not as a HS enrollee.

So then the kid would have to give up at minimum his red-shirt year. But I can tell you this, how this is being publicly protrayed as the kid not taking care of business is NOT helping.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this UCHuskies, if the school checked this out, why did they not refer Dobbs to a JUCO, because what he needed could not be done in prep?????? Since you think you have it all figured out......

I don't have anything figured out. I don't sit in the UConn football facility or athletic department every day to know anything about the subject for certain. Thing is, neither do you. Just pointing out that I have my doubts that UConn didn't look into his transcript, classes he was going to take and whether he'd have a shot at clearing.

Reaction Score
All is not lost. It is not over just yet.
From your fingers to God's ears.

Let me ask you this since you seem very knowledgeable on what it would take for a kid in Montrell's situation to get qualified. Earlier in this thread I suggested he go to a CC for ONE semester, take 12 credits, and transfer in to UConn for the fall semester. Is this possible? In that case his redshirt year would NOT be burned.

Reaction Score
Here is my guess at what happened, and keep in mind I don't know Montrell personally and this all purely speculation on my part:

It has been fairly well documented that Montrell struggled in the classroom. That is why he is at Milford in the first place. I think that early on at Ansonia he was having trouble with this grades, and as a result the Ansonia counselors/support staff decided that in order to boost his GPA, they would put him in classes that weren't exactly the toughest. The problem with that is, it does nothing to help Montrell, as those classes don't help him meet the requirements towards the minimum number of core classes, if the NCAA doesn't consider those classes to be a "core" class.

I do think UConn could have done slightly more here, but IMO Ansonia is largely at fault as well. Again, this is all just speculation on my part, and I could be completely wrong.

Reaction Score
Seems like this could have been taken car of if he had enrolled at a real prep school that has a few simple things like a Spring semester. If he had gone to Hargrave or a Fork Union ( football factories, but also real schools) he would at least have the option of another semester to alleviate the curriculum issue.

Reaction Score
Seems like this could have been taken car of if he had enrolled at a real prep school that has a few simple things like a Spring semester. If he had gone to Hargrave or a Fork Union ( football factories, but also real schools) he would at least have the option of another semester to alleviate the curriculum issue.

Rock, Milford's curriculum is not the issue and to take a shot at Milford's program with limited knowledge of the academic programs is a cheap shot. Uconn offered in the SUMMER and they had plenty of time to review his transcript and advise him differently. Why would he have went to Fork Union or Hargrave if needing an extra credit was not an issue in the summer???

Now if UConn would have done the normally due diligence they could have alerted the young man in the summer and he could have chosen if he wanted to go to a "real" PG school or JUCO. But the system and the school failed this young man in this instance.

Reaction Score
From your fingers to God's ears.

Let me ask you this since you seem very knowledgeable on what it would take for a kid in Montrell's situation to get qualified. Earlier in this thread I suggested he go to a CC for ONE semester, take 12 credits, and transfer in to UConn for the fall semester. Is this possible? In that case his redshirt year would NOT be burned.

If you attend a JUCO as a "non-qualifier" you then must graduate from the school to transfer to a D-1A school unless there is some type of special waiver available.

Reaction Score
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you think the NCAA should have the responsibility to seek out kids BEFORE they submit their transcripts and "tell them what they need to do"? I dislike the NCAA as much as the next guy, but that is absolutely absurd.

what I'm saying is his transcripts should have been looked at before he headed to Milford. If there was a question, he should have been notified. He obviously wasted a season at Milford because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom