Where does UConn go from here? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does UConn go from here?

Reaction Score
I do think there's merit to the argument that if you're not competing to win a national championship then don't bother competing. I don't know if I agree with it but it's not an unreasonable mentality

Even when UConn was in the Big East/BCS they weren't really competing for a football National Championship. Today, there are about 12 teams (out of 135) that are really competing for a football national championship.

Almost all schools join and play D-I not because they are trying to win a National Championship in any sport, but to offering student athletes the highest level of competition

Reaction Score
There are a double handful of schools, as you recognized, that actually have a realistic shot at a football NC.

Even in basketball...it's been over 20 years since a Big Ten or Pac 12 team has won an NC...and 30 uears since a team not Nova, UConn or a P5 has won the NC (UNLV 1990).

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I think the Hawaii comparison is much more appropriate. Hawaii is literally an island to itself in it own time zone and own small media market that it shares with no one. Connecticut has is its own small market stuck in isolation between NY and Boston. Both have to recruit heavily out-of-state.

The Rainbow Warriors are relatively new to I-A football (1970s) and UConn is even newer (2001). They have had a window of National prominence (2007 Sugar Bowl; Tommy Chang) similar to UConn (Fiesta Bowl; Orlowsky). This is not derogatory - I think its fair look at how the both states and the universities fits in the larger National football landscape.

I think the reach for UConn may be Utah, not Iowa State. It is a state of similar size with a big private (BYU) in its backyard. Too many people here compare CT to the rest of the country in the college athletic landscape and it just doesn't fit. We are in a region dominated by pro sports, littered with better known and funded privates, and bigger state flagships that have a much longer history at the highest level of football. We also don't have a State economy or social culture built on UConn despite what some on this message board try to suggest.

From November to March, UConn basketball has become a much watch events and have brough a general sense of State pride. But too many people here overstate the impact of the UConn athletics as a whole. We don't have the college sports culture of an Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi - all states we Nutmeggers all look down on for a host of other reasons.
You convinced me. I want to be in a conference with Hawaii. I had no idea they went 1A in the 70s.

Reaction Score
Even when UConn was in the Big East/BCS they weren't really competing for a football National Championship. Today, there are about 12 teams (out of 135) that are really competing for a football national championship.

Almost all schools join and play D-I not because they are trying to win a National Championship in any sport, but to offering student athletes the highest level of competition
There's a difference between not being good enough and not being afforded the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I think the Hawaii comparison is much more appropriate. Hawaii is literally an island to itself in it own time zone and own small media market that it shares with no one. Connecticut has is its own small market stuck in isolation between NY and Boston. Both have to recruit heavily out-of-state.

The Rainbow Warriors are relatively new to I-A football (1970s) and UConn is even newer (2001). They have had a window of National prominence (2007 Sugar Bowl; Tommy Chang) similar to UConn (Fiesta Bowl; Orlowsky). This is not derogatory - I think its fair look at how the both states and the universities fits in the larger National football landscape.

I think the reach for UConn may be Utah, not Iowa State. It is a state of similar size with a big private (BYU) in its backyard. Too many people here compare CT to the rest of the country in the college athletic landscape and it just doesn't fit. We are in a region dominated by pro sports, littered with better known and funded privates, and bigger state flagships that have a much longer history at the highest level of football. We also don't have a State economy or social culture built on UConn despite what some on this message board try to suggest.

From November to March, UConn basketball has become a much watch events and have brough a general sense of State pride. But too many people here overstate the impact of the UConn athletics as a whole. We don't have the college sports culture of an Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi - all states we Nutmeggers all look down on for a host of other reasons.
Going to have to disagree with you on the impact UConn athletics has. The impact the basketball program has had on the school and state is enormous. University of Connecticut honestly wasn't seen as much before Calhoun and Auriemma came along. You would be hard pressed to find another school who has had a rise like UConn because of their sports team/teams.

The Hawaii Connecticut thing seems like a stretch.

Reaction Score
I will add a bigger threat to UConn than the P2. I think the NBA and NFL could step in with minor leagues that would make college sports obsolete.
I don't see the revenue model for minor league basketball and football and the NBA and NFL are getting developed players for free. Starting up minor leagues is expensive.

Reaction Score
Count me as in favor of this. If we die, we all die!
No chance. College football and college basketball are a part of the American fabric and big business as we've seen. Nobody would watch minor league football and basketball. The college game is great for the NFL and NBA. They get development for free and ready made name recognition players and stars constantly joining their leagues.

Reaction Score
No chance. College football and college basketball are a part of the American fabric and big business as we've seen. Nobody would watch minor league football and basketball. The college game is great for the NFL and NBA. They get development for free and ready made name recognition players and stars constantly joining their leagues.
Oh i agree. I just would root for all to die instead of just us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eventually, some FBS football programs will break away from the NCAA. For that to happen, the key media deals need to get to the point where they are ending at about the same time. The important key that it enables is that some existing P4 schools will not make the cut. Some of the schools in the ACC and BXII will make the cut. There will be a lot of gnashing of teeth about all this. Ultimately they will take a few schools that won't have any real chance to win championships. Iowa would be in, Northwestern out. Minnesota could be out. Mississippi State, Mizzou could be out.

Conferences can then either go back to rational regional leagues of 10-12 or split into complete divisions of 10 among 20 team leagues, where they only play in the conference tournament. Travel costs will drop, and the experience for most college athletes will improve. NCAA credits will drive some of that realignment and basketball will be king in that scenario, baseball, #2. UConn basketball would be in good shape. Football would be in with the also-rans, but that may still be better than what we have today.

Reaction Score
There already is a minor league basketball system. It is no threat to the NCAA & March Madness

Reaction Score
Going to have to disagree with you on the impact UConn athletics has. The impact the basketball program has had on the school and state is enormous. University of Connecticut honestly wasn't seen as much before Calhoun and Auriemma came along. You would be hard pressed to find another school who has had a rise like UConn because of their sports team/teams.

The Hawaii Connecticut thing seems like a stretch.

You make my point. UConn is a National name name solely due to the Calhoun/Geno era of M/W Basketball. It's relatively new and limited to one sport.

UConn is not engrained in the hears and minds if ever resident from birth, like it is in Iowa.

Extrapolating what UConn basketball has done to the entire UConn brand, including football is a very unrealistic objective.

The Giants, Jets, and Pats will are in the blood of CT residents and I don't see anything near that type of support translating to the Huskies.

Of course we're not Hawaii, but we are not a college football state, period. Trying to build that what SEC, Big Ten and Big XII schools have here in Connecticut is nearly impossible.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You make my point. UConn is a National name name solely due to the Calhoun/Geno era of M/W Basketball. It's relatively new and limited to one sport.

UConn is not engrained in the hears and minds if ever resident from birth, like it is in Iowa.

Extrapolating what UConn basketball has done to the entire UConn brand, including football is a very unrealistic objective.

The Giants, Jets, and Pats will are in the blood of CT residents and I don't see anything near that type of support translating to the Huskies.

Of course we're not Hawaii, but we are not a college football state, period. Trying to build that what SEC, Big Ten and Big XII schools have here in Connecticut is nearly impossible.
It's not impossible. But it does require some changes outside of UConn's control. Stop playing Saturday HS football games for one. HS football players and their families are absolutely critical college football supporters and they can't get to most games. One campus stadium, with tailgating is step 2. Every UConn student from that point on will have the college football experience as part of their expectation. Today, most students can just skip it. Step 3 is regional games/rivals. Need to play BC and Rutgers regularly. Winning is also required, but isn't enough.

Reaction Score

We've built something better in basketball here than everything in the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 other than Kentucky and Kansas.

Why did you compare UConn to Hawaii if you didn't mean it?

I know we're not considered a football state, fans whine about having to drive an extra half hour for a football game.

I didn't know any Patriots fans growing up in CT, now they're everywhere. Winning has everything to do with it. Connecticut wasn't considered a basketball state before 1990 despite having very good high school basketball talent back in the day. Now Connecticut is considered a basketball state. Again, winning changes everything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't see the revenue model for minor league basketball and football and the NBA and NFL are getting developed players for free. Starting up minor leagues is expensive.

I don’t think a single NBA or NFL owner views it as free. College basketball and football are direct competitors of the NBA and NFL that generate billions of dollars of revenue that the NBA and NFL think should go to them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We've built something better in basketball here than everything in the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 other than Kentucky and Kansas.

Why did you compare UConn to Hawaii if you didn't mean it?

I know we're not considered a football state, fans whine about having to drive an extra half hour for a football game.

I didn't know any Patriots fans growing up in CT, now they're everywhere. Winning has everything to do with it. Connecticut wasn't considered a basketball state before 1990 despite having very good high school basketball talent back in the day. Now Connecticut is considered a basketball state. Again, winning changes everything.
Disagree somewhat with the last paragraph. I was in HS in the 80s and we were all well aware of the strong hoops teams coming out of Wilbur Cross and the Hartford and Bridgeport high schools. UConn hoops was quite popular even before the Big East. It’s why we were asked to join. Also, most every kid I grew up with in Manchester rooted for the Patriots or if not Dallas or Pittsburgh (showing that yes, winning matters). Pats did have good teams off and on, 76, 78 and of course 85 and 86.

pj

Reaction Score

You must be joking. Hawaii has a population of 1,440,000, and it's 2500 miles to person 1,440,001. Connecticut has a population of 3,626,000 and there are 7 million people an hour to the north and east and 18 million people an hour to the south and west. The difference in market sizes and recruiting footprints is huge.

Reaction Score
Disagree somewhat with the last paragraph. I was in HS in the 80s and we were all well aware of the strong hoops teams coming out of Wilbur Cross and the Hartford and Bridgeport high schools. UConn hoops was quite popular even before the Big East. It’s why we were asked to join. Also, most every kid I grew up with in Manchester rooted for the Patriots or if not Dallas or Pittsburgh (showing that yes, winning matters). Pats did have good teams off and on, 76, 78 and of course 85 and 86.
I pointed out there was very good high school basketball talent in CT back in the day but we weren't known as a basketball state. It wasn't known on the national level and UConn wasn't known as a basketball school. Calhoun put the University on the map nationally and made UConn known as a basketball state.

Reaction Score
If the ACC or B12 say no for now, maybe keep some sports in Big East and put football (at least this) in remains of Pac12 and some AAC teams -- whatever this get called.
Pacfic American Conference.

Reaction Score
With a basketball instead

1693571154000.png

Reaction Score
If the ACC or B12 say no for now, maybe keep some sports in Big East and put football (at least this) in remains of Pac12 and some AAC teams -- whatever this get called.
Joining the AAC as football only at this point would be hilarious if nothing else

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What a patently absurd statement. The freaking Jets are more "in the blood of CT residents" than UConn basketball? Sure thing.

Up until the last few years, you could probably make the argument for Yankees/Sox being above UConn hoop... but no way for the NFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom