Where does this take us???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does this take us????

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
really? playing crapy teams liek depaul, prov and shu every year was that good? i'm not saying im thrilled about not playing cuse, wvu and nd every year for example but i think your a little to dooms day about it.

we shall see in time who we are actually playing....:D

Right. In that conference there were a handful of bad teams. Check them against the bad teams in Gonzaga's conference. Then check them the sort of teams we might be in a conference with.

Providence and Seton Hall seem terrible until you see SMU or Tulane.

It's pure denial at this point. The available schools are awful.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What you have to understand is that the ship you are talking about sailed quite some time ago, when we lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and now Louisville. Does losing Georgetown, Marquette, and Nova hurt? Certainly. But not nearly as much as the other teams we've lost that are legitimate top15 teams (althoug GTown belongs there too).

We'll have to leverage games against Memphis, Temple, Cincy, and UCF in conference, along with the fact that we will likely play SDSU even if they aren't full members. Bolster the OOC a bit (we already play marquee teams, but play a couple more), and we will be okay. This is what our life is now, but it's not that bad. We will never see a conference again like Big East 2011....never....but that doesn't mean that we can't have a meaningful schedule...

The ship I'm talking about? I spent too much time arguing that Syracuse and Pitt can be replaced with Memphis and Temple.

It's easy to say play some ridiculous OOC schedule - no one can point to a legitimate school that does it. If you think you get Michigan State in Germany or home and home w Texas outside a legitimate conference you have lost your mind.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Right. In that conference there were a handful of bad teams. Check them against the bad teams in Gonzaga's conference. Then check them the sort of teams we might be in a conference with.

Providence and Seton Hall seem terrible until you see SMU or Tulane.

It's pure denial at this point. The available schools are awful.

uconn-power bball
cincy-top30 bball
temple-top40 bball
usf-rising bball
ucf-rising bball
tulane-crapy bball
navy-not bball
memphis-top30 bball
ecu-not bball
bsu-no bball right now in the nbe but they are rising bball
sdsu-no bball right now in the nbe but they are a top40 bball
uh-rising bball
smu-rising bball

is that good? no its not but its not what zaga plays bad at all. now think abouyt adding a byu or usu(both are good), then a unr or unlv, a nm maybe and so on...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, time bit them in the ass and it'll be interesting to see the fight over Cincy and UConn. AFAIK, USF is royally screwed.

I don't think there is going to be a fight over Cincinnati and UConn. If any conference really wanted either of those schools I think they would have snatched one or the other up already. The tough thing is that I think that even if the ACC does decide to expand, I think they may add Cincinnati over UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The ship I'm talking about? I spent too much time arguing that Syracuse and Pitt can be replaced with Memphis and Temple.

It's easy to say play some ridiculous OOC schedule - no one can point to a legitimate school that does it. If you think you get Michigan State in Germany or home and home w Texas outside a legitimate conference you have lost your mind.

First of all, I'm not saying that we need a ridiculous OOC schedule. That's where you are misunderstanding me. We don't have a ridiculous OOC right now, and I imagine that we will still play our fair share of UNH's, Vermont's, and Quinnipiac's. We typically have about 3 or 4 big time games OOC (meaning top 40 competition). This year, it's Michigan State, New Mexico, and NCState (I'm not counting Washington because they are not top40). What I'm saying is to increase that to 5 top40 OOC games.

And if you think that the University of Connecticut cannot schedule 5 top40 games out of conference, YOU'RE the one that lost your mind! For , we are known as a big-time basketball school, and rightfully so, since we won 3 of the last 13 national championships in the friggin' sport!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
tell me one school who would say no if we called and offered this:

2 home 2 away mbball
2 home 2 away wbball
roate years so every year each schools gets a game.

honestly what school would say no to that?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
By the way, as a side note, we are going to be getting the top four teams from the C-USA and 6 of their top 7:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...s/_/id/11/year/2013/conference-usa-conference

For all the crap Houston and SMU have caught here, they aren't doing too bad. And one of them had a fantastic recruiting year last year and the other one has Larry Brown coaching them. I'm not saying C-USA is anything to write home to mom about, but I'm thinking they are going to be pretty solid. Hell, even Tulane is 6-3!

EDIT: I'm prematurely throwing in ECU basketball, because I think it's inevitable that they get the all-sports call in response to the C-7 leaving.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, I'm not saying that we need a ridiculous OOC schedule. That's where you are misunderstanding me. We don't have a ridiculous OOC right now, and I imagine that we will still play our fair share of UNH's, Vermont's, and Quinnipiac's. We typically have about 3 or 4 big time games OOC (meaning top 40 competition). This year, it's Michigan State, New Mexico, and NCState (I'm not counting Washington because they are not top40). What I'm saying is to increase that to 5 top40 OOC games.

And if you think that the University of Connecticut cannot schedule 5 top40 games out of conference, YOU'RE the one that lost your mind! For , we are known as a big-time basketball school, and rightfully so, since we won 3 of the last 13 national championships in the friggin' sport!

Anyone can get 5 Top 40 games. MEAC schools do it every year. Getting them to play in your building is the trick.

I understand I'm further along the mourning spectrum - without a legitimate conference the scheduling is impossible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

2 home 2 away mbball
2 home 2 away wbball

Any school that doesn't give a about women's basketball. Jesus when you are trying to leverage women's basketball you are done.

I can't believe I am stuck in a place where people are so lost they think women's basketball matters.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Any school that doesn't give a **** about women's basketball. Jesus when you are trying to leverage women's basketball you are done.

I can't believe I am stuck in a place where people are so lost they think women's basketball matters.

our womens bball fills arenas on the road, and gets games on major tv times/slots. its worth a lot of $ to schools to make game agreements with us.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Any school that doesn't give a **** about women's basketball. Jesus when you are trying to leverage women's basketball you are done.

LOL. Technically, you're not stuck here. I think you're really close to an invite from another message board, but you just need to promote yourself better.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
our womens bball fills arenas on the road, and gets games on major tv times/slots. its worth a lot of $ to schools to make game agreements with us.
Come on Dan. We have the best women's program in the country, if it was that important we would not be sitting on the outside looking in and #beggingharder.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Come on Dan. We have the best women's program in the country, if it was that important we would not be sitting on the outside looking in and #beggingharder.

hugh? do u know how tc contracts and bball vs fball $ works? the way its set up now, great bball doesn't get huge # for confs, that will change in the future when the big boys split or demand a redo of setup from the ncaa. until then bball is not worth much. thats why. if bball was handled like fball was $ wise right now, we would be in big 4 conf right now.

when our girls bball plays any other big time brand, that arena is filled and the game is on espn2 or soemthing. thats possibly the only time all year the other teams girls bball is on a national tv game. only baylor and nd really have pull besides uonn in girls bball and for nd its when they play other big brands becuas eof nd alum pull tv wise and baylor is just becuase of 1 player for her time at the school.

Reaction Score

2 home 2 away mbball
2 home 2 away wbball

Probably about 3/4ths of the ACC, BIG, and Big 12. Probably the entire PAC12 except maybe UCLA, but why travel all the way here when they could get a Kansas or Texas matchup. Kentucky, Florida, probably Alabama.

Reaction Score
that will change in the future when the big boys split or demand a redo of setup from the ncaa.

if that is their plan, and a certain future, why wouldn't they be jumping to get UConn locked up now while we are a cheap free agent?

If the big boys are set up for a CBB cash windfall, the B1G would have taken UConn over RU without thinking twice.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if that is their plan, and a certain future, why wouldn't they be jumping to get UConn locked up now while we are a cheap free agent?

If the big boys are set up for a CBB cash windfall, the B1G would have taken UConn over RU without thinking twice.

becuase we will always be a cheap free agent until that point...no rush until it pays off or is threatned by some 1 else making a move.

schools like ruty may be bad at bball right now, but once the power confs split or get a redo from the ncaa on how post season $ is done, then the big boys will have a huge advantage $ wise over the rest. that will result in schools like ruty with big arenas and fanbases also improving bball as kids will want to play for the have's and not the have nots.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about WBB. Teams are trying to secure $15-$25 million a year for their school, and people think a couple games against the women where the revenue in a 10,000 seat arena goes up to maybe $40,000-$50,000 ducking matter? Put the bottle down.

You think anyone in the south gives a about their team playing our women on ESPN2?

Reaction Score
becuase we will always be a cheap free agent until that point...no rush until it pays off or is threatned by some 1 else making a move.
Don't you get it? This isn't a public auction.

If what you say is true, the ACC would be wise to lock up UConn now and create the best and most lucrative basketball conference ever. Because if they don't, the B1G will take UConn without the ACC ever getting the chance to bid.

IF what you believe will happen is in the works, UConn wouldn't be a free agent. The presidents would be made to understand the direction of the landscape, the value of UConn, and we'd have made an announcement. As valuable as you think UConn's women's hoops is, it shocks me that you think conferences would risk losing men's hoops by waiting.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Don't you get it? This isn't a public auction.

If what you say is true, the ACC would be wise to lock up UConn now and create the best and most lucrative basketball conference ever. Because if they don't, the B1G will take UConn without the ACC ever getting the chance to bid.

IF what you believe will happen is in the works, UConn wouldn't be a free agent. The presidents would be made to understand the direction of the landscape, the value of UConn, and we'd have made an announcement. As valuable as you think UConn's women's hoops is, it shocks me that you think conferences would risk losing men's hoops by waiting.

my stance is we have told the acc were not ready to go yet twice. have u read my crazy stuff lol? we are waiting for a better invite.

the wbball argument is different then this. it was me saying that our 2 bball programs together are enough where most teams in the country would want to do ooc agreements with us becuase both programs are powerful compared to most

Reaction Score
my stance is we have told the acc were not ready to go yet twice. have u read my crazy stuff lol? we are waiting for a better invite.

the wbball argument is different then this. it was me saying that our 2 bball programs together are enough where most teams in the country would want to do ooc agreements with us becuase both programs are powerful compared to most

as long as you can admit the idea that UConn turning down the ACC not once but twice is crazy, then recovery is still possible. lol.

Scheduling the women's team is a guaranteed loss (or two) for 99% of the programs in the country, but the payday is peanuts.

It's as much (or moreso) a barrier to scheduling than leverage for the men.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
as long as you can admit the idea that UConn turning down the ACC not once but twice is crazy, then recovery is still possible. lol.

Scheduling the women's team is a guaranteed loss (or two) for 99% of the programs in the country, but the payday is peanuts.

It's as much (or moreso) a barrier to scheduling than leverage for the men.
FWIW, playing our women is also better gauranteed press than anyone would get anywhere else.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Probably about 3/4ths of the ACC, BIG, and Big 12. Probably the entire PAC12 except maybe UCLA, but why travel all the way here when they could get a Kansas or Texas matchup. Kentucky, Florida, probably Alabama.
I was going to say, the ACC passed on this prospect multiple times.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thing most of you are missing is that for this new league to form, there will need to be incentives. There will be a TV contract to negotiate. It will suck. Even getting that crappy TV contract will require some commitment by the members, perhaps a GOR. So in order to even get a seat in a conference we will hate, we may need to surrender the opportunity to join a real conference.

That's the risk, that in order to secure that we have someplace to play, we will need to give up our hopes of joining the big boy's club. It's a disaster. We need to make sure that whatever lifeboat we climb into, we can get the hell out of it as fast as possible.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Or create a mega conference of all the rest and bolt from the NCAA. Could be the best option as opposed to withering away in ten years. Grab forty to sixty of the next best, create a GOR, say goodbye to the NCAA, its going to happen anyways so do it on terms most advantageous, approach the media and bowls and say we are the change!

Also pay bb and football players. That will force the big boys to do so and eat at their profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom