Where does Paige Bueckers' freshman season rank among the best in UConn's prolific history? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does Paige Bueckers' freshman season rank among the best in UConn's prolific history?

Reaction Score
The 2013 team in Stewie's freshman year was a team with a backbone. UConn lost 3 games to Notre Dame, by a point, 2 points, & in 3 OT; Then 3 weeks later in the final four, freshman Stewie delivered 29 points in an 83 - 65 thrashing of their tormentor. UConn then beat Louisville for the national championship, finishing 35 - 4, with those 3 losses to Notre Dame, the first of 4 consecutive championships, and in 2 of those years, UConn didn't lose any games at all. There was only 1 loss in Stewie's last 3 years - An OT loss to Stanford in 2014, and 3 more national championships.
Breanna was really great in the FF wins, give her that. But in the 3 losses against our archrival, she averaged 10 pts on 34% shooting. That doesn't support the idea that hers was the best freshman season ever.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stewart was and is the best player in semi-finals and finals of any Championship run: NCAA [four time FF MVP although she called right that MoJeff should have been in the final run], WNBA, FIBA Worlds, and will show it in the Olympics as well. Particularly this year. with Sue Bird and DT dishing out the assists, and Fowles/Charles setting some mean picks...

However, for Freshman year performance, I would call it a first place tie with Maya and Paige [would give the tie-breaker to Paige due to the start/stop/start again CoViD effect in this season] with Stewart in 3rd. I cannot think of any other Freshmen leading teams from any other schools [than UCONN] who had two or less losses in a year AND making it to the Final Four.

Need to upgrade the saying, "We have Paige AND Azzi and you don't!" Hopefully, we will be able to add more names to the saying [used to be singular with DT, then Maya] due to consistent outstanding performances in the upcoming year.
They had more than 2 losses (4), but Holdsclaw led Tennessee to a title as a freshman.

Catchings as a frosh went undefeated and put up comparable numbers to Maya, although Holdsclaw as a junior was the clear go to player on that team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Breanna was really great in the FF wins, give her that. But in the 3 losses against our archrival, she averaged 10 pts on 34% shooting. That doesn't support the idea that hers was the best freshman season ever.
Best freshman tournament run of 6 games, definitely a top contender off the top of my head--but if we're looking at a full season of 38-40 games, her season doesn't compare.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Evina was the #2 ranked recruit in her class. CW and ONO were #1 and #5 respectively in their class. It's not like Paige didn't have talent alongside her. Stef and Kelly were ranked somewhere in the 30s, Bria and Doty were in the teens, and KML was #1 in her class. UConn hadn't won a title since Maya left town until Stewie came along and put them over the top.
It's not where they are ranked when they come in to a program but where they are at in the moment. I think most would agree while Paige had good talent around her it wasn't comparable to what Stewie had.

Reaction Score
For me its Paige & its not even close. UConn is not a Top 10 team without Paige. Paige's heroics pulled out victories against Tenn. & SC. Paige was clearly the most talented all around player in the country in her Freshman year - taking into account shooting, assists, defense, etc. But, what puts her over the top was she was the floor general & leader of the team. Its wasnt the Juniors. It was Paige.

BS was wildly inconsistent - Geno benching her for poor play at times during the season. Maya was great, but nowhere near best player in the country her Freshman year. It's Paige - she was must-see-TV.
The player who finished #2 behind Candace Parker who went on to win MVP and ROY in her first year in the W was “nowhere near the best player in the country” cmon this is one of the most dense things I’ve ever read! Maya’s freshman season here to me is unmatched because she brought this program quite literally back from the dead we have been to every final four since her freshman year let that sink in!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The player who finished #2 behind Candace Parker who went on to win MVP and ROY in her first year in the W was “nowhere near the best player in the country” cmon this is one of the most dense things I’ve ever read! Maya’s freshman season here to me is unmatched because she brought this program quite literally back from the dead we have been to every final four since her freshman year let that sink in!
We are talking about Freshman year not first year in the WNBA, big difference. Maya was great, but she also had a better supporting cast then Paige. If Paige had played in as many games as Maya, she would have the Freshman scoring record. I kind of agree with @BostonBay, if UConn didn't have Paige last year they would not have been as good, at least not a Top 5 team for sure, maybe not even a Top 10.

Reaction Score
We are talking about Freshman year not first year in the WNBA, big difference. Maya was great, but she also had a better supporting cast then Paige. If Paige had played in as many games as Maya, she would have the Freshman scoring record. I kind of agree with @BostonBay, if UConn didn't have Paige last year they would not have been as good, at least not a Top 5 team for sure, maybe not even a Top 10.
That was her freshman year lol! I’m saying the only reason she lost NPOY that specific year is because of a player who the following year went onto win ROY & MVP in the WNBA lol reading is fundamental! Also, while I agree maybe she did have a better supporting cast looking back, but Tina Charles wasn’t the Tina Charles we know NOW when Maya got there! That team Maya’s freshman year was injury plagued and she carried them that whole season just like Paige to the final four! I know we get excited about the shiny new object every year but no offense to Paige she doesn’t hold a candle to Maya when comparing freshman seasons.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stewart hands down. Best player and the X factor in beating a great ND team for the title.
They beat Louisville for that title and beat ND in the semi-finals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom