Where does Paige Bueckers' freshman season rank among the best in UConn's prolific history? | The Boneyard

Where does Paige Bueckers' freshman season rank among the best in UConn's prolific history?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, Stewie, Paige interchangeable best freshman campaign taking into account the NC vs what was asked of Paige.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Considering that Paige had no returning AA's or Senior's on the team. That she was hands down the best player on the team and was #2 all time in Freshman scoring. If Paige had played the same amount of games that Maya did, which I believe it was 38, she would have most likely achieved the all time Freshman scoring record at UConn. Paige did something that NO OTHER UConn player has ever done, she scored 30 or more points in three consecutive games. She also won all of the Player of the Year awards that she was eligible to win as a Freshman. Both Paige and Maya lost in the Final Four Game and each also lost two games in their Freshman Season, with Paige averaging 20 pts. per game and Maya 17.4 pts. per game. I give the nod to Paige over both Stewie and Maya, because of her having to carry the team while those two did not have that pressure.

Reaction Score
Paige and Maya had comparable outstanding freshman seasons (Breanna got hot at the end but overall her season was not on par). Maya's schedule was stronger with a more robust Big East. Paige had better assists, steals and immediate leadership, Maya had rebounds, blocks, was superior defensively and led by example. Maya came a close second to Candace Parker for player of the year, Paige didn't have the same competition in winning her awards.

Reaction Score
Paige and Maya had comparable outstanding freshman seasons (Breanna got hot at the end but overall her season was not on par). Maya's schedule was stronger with a more robust Big East. Paige had better assists, steals and immediate leadership, Maya had rebounds, blocks, was superior defensively and led by example. Maya came a close second to Candace Parker for player of the year, Paige didn't have the same competition in winning her awards.
To be fair, I think the old Big East Stewie played in her first year was a better league than the current version Paige played in last season. For example we played ND 4 times alone that season and 3 of the 4 Final Four teams were Big East teams.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
To be fair, I think the old Big East Stewie played in her first year was a better league than the current version Paige played in last season. For example we played ND 4 times alone that season and 3 of the 4 Final Four teams were Big East teams.
Stewie had Stef, KML, Bria, CD2, and Kelly, just to name a few. Who did Paige have to help her, the only one that comes close to the above may be CW.

Reaction Score
Stewie had Stef, KML, Bria, CD2, and Kelly, just to name a few. Who did Paige have to help her, the only one that comes close to the above may be CW.
Evina was the #2 ranked recruit in her class. CW and ONO were #1 and #5 respectively in their class. It's not like Paige didn't have talent alongside her. Stef and Kelly were ranked somewhere in the 30s, Bria and Doty were in the teens, and KML was #1 in her class. UConn hadn't won a title since Maya left town until Stewie came along and put them over the top.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clarke, Ashley Joens, Haley Jones, Aari McDonald, Naz Hillmon, Ashley Owusu, etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Although we have had freshman AAs and Maya The Magnificent, Paige in a Covid shortened season ran the Huskies and in a full season of games would have smashed stat records. We witnessed a truly unfathomable performance that was unprecedented.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Evina was the #2 ranked recruit in her class. CW and ONO were #1 and #5 respectively in their class. It's not like Paige didn't have talent alongside her. Stef and Kelly were ranked somewhere in the 30s, Bria and Doty were in the teens, and KML was #1 in her class. UConn hadn't won a title since Maya left town until Stewie came along and put them over the top.
High School class rankings are nothing when it comes to college. Considering that Stef, Kelly, Bria, CD2, and Kelly Ferris much better player's then what they were in High School. Evina was coming off of surgery and hadn't played in over a year. ONO may have been #5 when she came to UConn she wasn't close to either Stef. Both Bria and KML were better than CW. Kelly was better than any of the other players except for Paige and CW. UConn had at the start of the season 7 players that had never played a game for the Huskies and 6 of those were Freshman, that's not counting Saylor who came aboard after Christmas, while Stewie, MoJeff, and Tuck hadn't, that's a huge difference. If the players that Geno had last year were better or equal to the players that Stewie had, then why did Geno start Paige and AE or Paige and Nika, while having all three on the floor at the same time with game still on the line. The ONLY Freshman that played major minutes was Stewie because she had game and also had a much better supporting cast. Still Paige is the ONLY Freshman at UConn that swept all of the National Player of the Year trophy's that a Freshman can win is Paige. Maya did not nor did Stewie.

Reaction Score
What a season she had during her first year! And still, there’s more to come.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd put her #1 or #2 alongside Maya. Both had very similar years--POY caliber seasons (edge to Bueckers who swept the awards, but didn't have near the same competition Maya did), led team into tournament as a title favorite and performed quite well and quite consistently throughout the year. Led team to Final Four.

Stewart won it all but had a very very choppy freshman season and much better upperclassmen to rely on. Paige was straight up carrying the team through stretches last year. It's a shame we didn't get a full season of Bueckers but I think she's on par with Moore as far as freshman performance. Maya followed it up with a consensus POY season and an undefeated year--we'll see if Paige can follow suit.

Reaction Score
I'd put her #1 or #2 alongside Maya. Both had very similar years--POY caliber seasons (edge to Bueckers who swept the awards, but didn't have near the same competition Maya did), led team into tournament as a title favorite and performed quite well and quite consistently throughout the year. Led team to Final Four.

Stewart won it all but had a very very choppy freshman season and much better upperclassmen to rely on. Paige was straight up carrying the team through stretches last year. It's a shame we didn't get a full season of Bueckers but I think she's on par with Moore as far as freshman performance. Maya followed it up with a consensus POY season and an undefeated year--we'll see if Paige can follow suit.

Geno said once that Moore was the only player who "got it" from day one. It's two now and likely will be 3.

Reaction Score
Stewart hands down. Best player and the X factor in beating a great ND team for the title.

Reaction Score
Stewart hands down. Best player and the X factor in beating a great ND team for the title.
She picked the right time to get a hot shooting hand. But she lost 3 times to ND during the season. And those were not exhibition games, I remember how intense and competitive they were. I'd say she had the best postseason for a freshman, but not the best season overall.

Reaction Score
For me, Stewie, Paige interchangeable best freshman campaign taking into account the NC vs what was asked of Paige.
I’d say Maya #1, Stewie #2, Paige #3

Reaction Score
She picked the right time to get a hot shooting hand. But she lost 3 times to ND during the season. And those were not exhibition games, I remember how intense and competitive they were. I'd say she had the best postseason for a freshman, but not the best season overall.
That ND team was better than anyone UConn faced this year.

Reaction Score
The 2013 team in Stewie's freshman year was a team with a backbone. UConn lost 3 games to Notre Dame, by a point, 2 points, & in 3 OT; Then 3 weeks later in the final four, freshman Stewie delivered 29 points in an 83 - 65 thrashing of their tormentor. UConn then beat Louisville for the national championship, finishing 35 - 4, with those 3 losses to Notre Dame, the first of 4 consecutive championships, and in 2 of those years, UConn didn't lose any games at all. There was only 1 loss in Stewie's last 3 years - An OT loss to Stanford in 2014, and 3 more national championships.

Reaction Score
For me its Paige & its not even close. UConn is not a Top 10 team without Paige. Paige's heroics pulled out victories against Tenn. & SC. Paige was clearly the most talented all around player in the country in her Freshman year - taking into account shooting, assists, defense, etc. But, what puts her over the top was she was the floor general & leader of the team. Its wasnt the Juniors. It was Paige.

BS was wildly inconsistent - Geno benching her for poor play at times during the season. Maya was great, but nowhere near best player in the country her Freshman year. It's Paige - she was must-see-TV.

Reaction Score
Stewart was and is the best player in semi-finals and finals of any Championship run: NCAA [four time FF MVP although she called right that MoJeff should have been in the final run], WNBA, FIBA Worlds, and will show it in the Olympics as well. Particularly this year. with Sue Bird and DT dishing out the assists, and Fowles/Charles setting some mean picks...

However, for Freshman year performance, I would call it a first place tie with Maya and Paige [would give the tie-breaker to Paige due to the start/stop/start again CoViD effect in this season] with Stewart in 3rd. I cannot think of any other Freshmen leading teams from any other schools [than UCONN] who had two or less losses in a year AND making it to the Final Four.

Need to upgrade the saying, "We have Paige AND Azzi and you don't!" Hopefully, we will be able to add more names to the saying [used to be singular with DT, then Maya] due to consistent outstanding performances in the upcoming year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewart was and is the best player in semi-finals and finals of any Championship run: NCAA [four time FF MVP although she called right that MoJeff should have been in the final run], WNBA, FIBA Worlds, and will show it in the Olympics as well. Particularly this year. with Sue Bird and DT dishing out the assists, and Fowles/Charles setting some mean picks...

However, for Freshman year performance, I would call it a first place tie with Maya and Paige [would give the tie-breaker to Paige due to the start/stop/start again CoViD effect in this season] with Stewart in 3rd. I cannot think of any other Freshmen leading teams from any other schools [than UCONN] who had two or less losses in a year AND making it to the Final Four.

Need to upgrade the saying, "We have Paige AND Azzi and you don't!" Hopefully, we will be able to add more names to the saying [used to be singular with DT, then Maya] due to consistent outstanding performances in the upcoming year.
"We have Paige AND Azzi and you don't!" :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clarke, Ashley Joens, Haley Jones, Aari McDonald, Naz Hillmon, Ashley Owusu, etc.
This crew doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Parker, Fowles, Wiggins, Paris, McCaughey, Langhorne, Toliver, etc. And all of those players were juniors or seniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom