Where did they get these refs? | The Boneyard

Where did they get these refs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About as bad as it gets in terms of a whole game. When you have a guy like Rafterty, who's a really positive announcer, mentioning missed calls multiple times then you know it's bad.

From ticky tack fouls to missing easy calls to the lane violation on Omar to the delay of game warning late in the second half on Colorado. Just awful.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
from the 6:20 to about 0:49 it was probably the worst officiating I have seen all year. both ways. I know they wont but the NCAA needs to look at that and the 2nd half of the Puke/UNCW game - the refs are a terrible product

Reaction Score
The officiating at the youth level, including high school, is pretty bad but I expect that. The best refs are definitely in the NBA and each level below that gets worse and worse the further down you go. But shouldn't the top refs in college basketball be only slightly worse than the NBA ones? And since I'm assuming the NCAA Tournament takes the best ones in college basketball you just figure there wouldn't be that much of a difference from the NBA.

Reaction Score
Refs are bad, but Miller in constant foul trouble really means Miller fouls a lot.

Amida not fouling out in games is the bigger story.

Reaction Score
Some of the other games I have seen today have been pretty bad as well. It really is a shame to see it in what is the sport's showcase event.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm assuming they shatcan this crew and have a better one for the Kansas game.

Reaction Score
It's really a shame for both teams when you have a game called the way it was.

Reaction Score
They were dreadful, not sure Miller has fouled anyone since his first where he reached - they were terrible and hurt us!

Reaction Score
the 2 bad calls near the end, not calling offensive on Scott's clear out and a foul instead of a jump ball really could have done us in (we did help though). We should have been shooting 2 free throws on the clear out, and they had possession on the held ball, working to score. Instead they got 4 points with no time off the clock. Game should have been over.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So bad and it seems like Miller gets the worst calls. His second foul on the block shot at the basket was really bad.

Miller's problem is he has a "reputation" for hand checking on the blocks, bringing his hands down while trying to block shots and reaching. I swear half his fouls are BS every game. But different refs keep calling the same nickel/dime fouls. Miller has to adjust.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Terrible refs. Game was moving too fast for them at the end.

Even bad calls that went our way too.

Thought aac play was over?

Reaction Score
The best refs officiate multiple conferences. The problem in the early rounds is there are so many games going on at the same time, plus they probably take a pool of refs that span all the conferences.

But, there were some real obvious bad calls. There were at least two clean blocks called fouls. Those are compounded mistakes. Not only you don't get the nice offensive play, you get the foul called and if there are shots, you can lose a couple points when it should have been going the other way.

Reaction Score
Miller did hold Scott's arm down low on his fourth one and prevented him from getting to the pass. He needed to let go of his arm a Mississippi sooner - gotta be cognizant of time and score (the layup hurts us less than his fourth). The first half block was obviously clean and I swear Scott just dribbled off his leg totally on his own on Miller's third, but they never showed a replay.

Miller's fifth is the kind of foul that makes you lose games - you hand them a two-point possession that takes zero seconds off the clock when you are trying to shorten the game.

Reaction Score
yeah the count of calls the commentating team questioned or said "they got away with that one" went I think 5 in their favor, 0 in ours.

You had 2 travels that raf said they got away with, the jump ball foul, a few ridiculously ticky-tack fouls on us

Miller definitely got some bad ones, but he did commit fouls. The one where his arm got under Scott's though, his arm was in the armpit area for like a quarter second. I'd agree that if his hand remained there as the play progressed, it would have been a foul, but its like they see incidental glancing contact at an angle and just whistle.

How about the time scott dribbled off his foot and they bailed him out...

All I am saying is, we better get the bull called in our favor against Kansas, because if they're going to have it out for us against the top seed, I hope Ollie gets himself at least 1 T

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The AAC? May not be accurate, but it's the obvious answer.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So bad and it seems like Miller gets the worst calls. His second foul on the block shot at the basket was really bad.
Agreed. This seems to happen all the time. The announcers couldn't believe the second foul which took him out of the game for the rest of the half. Amazing we can win with
the calls that sometimes go against our bigs. Admittedly they sometimes make dumb fouls but this has been a pattern all year long. Thought things would change in the NCAA
but I guess not. Just one more thing to overcome but overcome they did. No quit.

Reaction Score
the 2 bad calls near the end, not calling offensive on Scott's clear out and a foul instead of a jump ball really could have done us in (we did help though). We should have been shooting 2 free throws on the clear out, and they had possession on the held ball, working to score. Instead they got 4 points with no time off the clock. Game should have been over.
FWIW UConn wouldn't have been shooting free throws on the Scott clear out. You don't get to shoot free throws on an offensive foul even if you're in the bonus.

Reaction Score
FWIW UConn wouldn't have been shooting free throws on the Scott clear out. You don't get to shoot free throws on an offensive foul even if you're in the bonus.
you're right, but that's even better. Rather have the ball than Nolan at the line.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I rarely complain about refs, and UConn won so I don't care that much, but holy crap is that the best refs they can get for the NCAA Tournament? Is officiating talent that thin in college basketball? Seriously, those guys were pretty bad.
I also rarely complain about refs. In fact I try to avoid threads about refs. HOWEVER, I have to jump in on this one. Looked like to me they wanted CU back in the game. How many fouls did they call in 30 seconds. They were sending CU to the line. I need to read the the new rules. I have a 65 inch curved tv. I sit about 10 feet from it. I swear I am not seeing most fouls on Miller or Brimah. I know there have been threads on Millers stupid fouls. I am here to defend him on some. They drive by him, his hands are up, and whistle. Poor kid couldn't get started.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Miller did hold Scott's arm down low on his fourth one and prevented him from getting to the pass. He needed to let go of his arm a Mississippi sooner - gotta be cognizant of time and score (the layup hurts us less than his fourth). The first half block was obviously clean and I swear Scott just dribbled off his leg totally on his own on Miller's third, but they never showed a replay.

Miller's fifth is the kind of foul that makes you lose games - you hand them a two-point possession that takes zero seconds off the clock when you are trying to shorten the game.
I don't think that was how it happened. Live, that is exactly what it looked like (which led to an automatic the call) but before the pass, Scott hooked his arm around Miller's and when he went for the pass, all Miller really did was slide his arm out.

Miller does need to be a lot smarter with his hands however as they often are where they should not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom