Where can we improve? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where can we improve?

Reaction Score
I don't think it's so much an "every player" thing as a team thing.

I think this team is likely to be an elite defensive team -- South Carolina- or Vic Shaeffer-type defense.

So the question mark is offense. What did Coach say repeatedly last year? The ball's getting stuck. So what needs to happen?

Azzi and Caroline are VERY good moving without the ball. Check.

Geno has said that the offense is better with Nika on the floor. As has been pointed out in other threads, Nika needs to take better care of the ball, and not foul so much (stay in the game). Most of all, she needs to learn whether to shoot a pullup, pass, or drive to the basket (and shoot once she's there).

Dorka and Aaliyah have both shown that they CAN be good passers from the high post. They need to be more consistent with that. It'll be wonderful if the other bigs can show some of that too.

This team will shoot well if they move the ball to where the high-percentage shots are. As TonyC said, it's a team sport.
I'm not sure what this team is better at Offense or Defense but I lean toward offense. But I have to say this year at least to start unlike any other, I think the team warrants using full court pressure. Or at least trapping more at halfcourt provided there isn't a wide separation between Dorka and Edwards and some of the other bigs.

A completely wild guess here just for fun complete speculation: I tend to think the offense is better but the defense can make the offense significantly better if they maybe employ a conservative full court press like a 2-2-1. Don't press to create turnovers but press to take time off the shot clock. Maybe doing that will limit a team's ability to attack the guards off the dribble by not giving them enough time to make several passes before attacking the paint. Overall a team’s offense isn’t just one pass then drive the lane.

And once I take a step back and stop pretending like I came from a Holiday Inn, what will probably happen is that Geno will get his team to run the offense just like always and overall develop the team to play tough halfcourt defense.

Reaction Score
These are my thoughts. Every player of course has to improve and they will. The five starters are going to be: Aaliyah Edwards; Nika Muhl; Dorka Juhasz; Caroline Ducharme and Azzie Fudd. These are the key players on the team. Not to stay that the others are not. However, above mentioned will get the bulk of the minutes and scoring.

I believe that Azzi will need to score average at least 20.0 ppg. Aaliyah, Dorka and Caroline will need to combine to score average 40.0 ppg. Nika doesn't need to up her scoring a bunch. Her job is to stay on the floor leading the team and keep out of foul trouble. But she still needs to look for her shots. If she can up her scoring to at least 6.0 ppg that will help.

That brings the starters to 66.0 points per game. The subs if they can grab 10.0 ppg as a group would be fantastic and very much needed. Adding that up it brings us to 76.0 ppg. Last year our team scored at a pace of 73.8 ppg. I think that this team can achieve the same numbers.

Reaction Score
Good thoughts all. Geno runs a multi option offense. This requires players to always have vision and court awareness while moving with the flow of the play. Proven to be a great concept in practice by Uconn. But, when that style breaks down, as it sometimes does there is a lot of standing around or aimless cutting while not expecting the ball. At times like these UCONN needs players to use individual ball skills to breakdown the defenders and make the defense react. It is best done with explosive pace. We need to see more of this when used wisely it complements the pass first style.
Come on Coaches turn them loose!

Reaction Score
Good thoughts all. Geno runs a multi option offense. This requires players to always have vision and court awareness while moving with the flow of the play. Proven to be a great concept in practice by Uconn. But, when that style breaks down, as it sometimes does there is a lot of standing around or aimless cutting while not expecting the ball. At times like these UCONN needs players to use individual ball skills to breakdown the defenders and make the defense react. It is best done with explosive pace. We need to see more of this when used wisely it complements the pass first style.
Come on Coaches turn them loose!
I don't agree. The game vs NC State was a testament to how Geno's offense works when the offense stalls when Paige took over. The Offense gives the players chances to make plays.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. The game vs NC State was a testament to how Geno's offense works when the offense stalls when Paige took over. The Offense gives the players chances to make plays.
I don’t agree with this. Uconn stalls out i when the motion offense fails .. no initiative …one single game doesn’t mean I’m mistaken. Stop defending the blunting of individual brilliance . Some of our greatest players took it upon themselves to elevate performance instead of looking towards they bench for guidance. They have the ability or it can be coached. It simply adds a dimension to Uconns game. Geez!

Reaction Score
A few thoughts. The problem with Nika has been two fold when we discuss her as an offensive threat. First, she drives sideways through the lane from right to left and then gets lost and often walks. She doesn't finish at the rim. The second issue is a corollary of the first. She shot a pull up last year maybe 3-4 times. She needs that shot. When she beats her man on the drive it forces a big to come out to defend her if she can make a pull up, thereby opening up passing opportunities to our bigs but also giving them more interior position for rebounding. Geno actually mentioned these two areas when discussing her.

If we press I will be surprised unless it is a backcourt press when Aubrey is in the game and she can play a big guard or small 3 position. I also am apprehensive of Lou Two's defense perhaps unfairly because it has to be UCONN D to be effective and the best way to have that defense mature is with a press. So I see the two of them pressing and of course another guard depending on game realities. We only have 10 players right now and the season is long. We have to last. When you press you foul so that has to be a concern with Nika.

AE has a great upside on offense and if she had a productive summer, unlike last year, and develops some tight drive moves and post moves she can be an All BE player. I expect Dorka to have a great year. She can really play and the offense will likely run through her and Azzi who is going to soar. Dorka is a tough out for anyone in the country and I mean anyone. This is her year.

Caroline is a player. If she improves even 10% you have a major star brewing and I think you will see it. She was beat up a lot last year but has guts galore. So the issues to me are Amari, Lou Two, Aubrey, Ice and AP. They are good issues to have. Any of them can be major contributors and if two are we keep the FF streak alive.

Finally, yes it is a team game and that means team chemistry is the sine qua non of success any year but especially this year. I can't imagine that they aren't even closer with the loss of Paige. It can go a long way. We are going to lose games, we did last year but Geno and crew know the story right now about this year and probably already what the best approach should be. He always does. I still say last year may have been his best job ever. Oh sure, it was UCONN and you got back to the Finals, normal stuff right? Anyone else, they would be hailing him or her as the next Wooden. Actually, Geno is the next Wooden come to think of it.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree with this. Uconn stalls out i when the motion offense fails .. no initiative …one single game doesn’t mean I’m mistaken. Stop defending the blunting of individual brilliance . Some of our greatest players took it upon themselves to elevate performance instead of looking towards they bench for guidance. They have the ability or it can be coached. It simply adds a dimension to Uconns game. Geez!
I don't agree. IMO what you are stating here is a bit misleading (It's "Individual Brilliance" when UCONN wins but it's The Offense and Geno when they lose?). But it's not one individual game. For example, it's 14 straight Final fours as an example. What do you think-- in none of those games in which games were relatively tight no one made a play on their own within the offense?

The UCONN women are not pros. In tight games sometimes young college kids will freeze in a manner of speak. Just as they did several years ago vs ND (either a reg season game or in FF) I forget which- where UCONN had the ball late and Kelly Farris wound up dribbling the ball toward the opposite baseline away from the coaching staff sideline and the play completely blew up in which they ended up losing a very tight game. Geno said afterward that they didn't run the play from early on.

But Geno does allow players to make plays. Heck even the loss to Miss State Saniya Chong broke toward the basket. She had the go-ahead to make a play.

Heck even as far back as 20 years ago Barb Turner had talked to Chris D about wanting to shoot more from the outside and Chris responded by saying "Who said you can't shoot from the outside?"

After Baylor / Griner got beat her senior year, at the end of the season Geno was on TV wrapping up the end of the season with Meg and she asked him about Baylor and Griner and Geno said he would have had Griner throughout the season also play on the perimeter and let other players work on the inside. That’s not what Kim did. Geno looks to open things up for all the players and gives them opportunities. It’s why he goes to 14 straight Final fours and wins 11 titles, right? The great players take it upon themselves within the offense. Just as Diana Taurasi took it upon herself to make the play vs Oklahoma in 01-02 Title game to ice the game in which Geno ran the offense to feed her the pass in the low post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are my thoughts. Every player of course has to improve and they will. The five starters are going to be: Aaliyah Edwards; Nika Muhl; Dorka Juhasz; Caroline Ducharme and Azzie Fudd. These are the key players on the team. Not to stay that the others are not. However, above mentioned will get the bulk of the minutes and scoring.

I believe that Azzi will need to score average at least 20.0 ppg. Aaliyah, Dorka and Caroline will need to combine to score average 40.0 ppg. Nika doesn't need to up her scoring a bunch. Her job is to stay on the floor leading the team and keep out of foul trouble. But she still needs to look for her shots. If she can up her scoring to at least 6.0 ppg that will help.

That brings the starters to 66.0 points per game. The subs if they can grab 10.0 ppg as a group would be fantastic and very much needed. Adding that up it brings us to 76.0 ppg. Last year our team scored at a pace of 73.8 ppg. I think that this team can achieve the same numbers.
This sounds about right and will get them through the Big East. But in order for UConn to compete with the upper tier non-conference teams they will have to rely on defense. They will also need a consistent spark off the bench if they hope to do anything in March.

Reaction Score
The team needs some improvement from everyone.
Nika - better offense, pull up jumpers and driving. Study Sue Bird
Azzi - needs better driving and short pull ups
Dorka - needs more strength off the boards, better put backs
Alijah E - better ball handLING, footwork. Time to shine
Lou - show on defense
Amari - general defensive toughness, intensity
Ayanna - be yourself - a star in the making
Ice- better defense, rebounding
Aubry - get healthy - pull up jumpers
Ines- learn the system - get stronger
Caroline - avoid turnovers, better defense

Reaction Score
I expect the freshman to make a big contribution to the Huskies success this year. Ayanna simply needs confidence which she will get from playing. A new star. Ice needs to play defense. Needs footwork training and rebounding focus. A very good offensive play but needs defense. Ines, needs to learn the system and gain strenght and speed. That will come along with confidence. Go freshman!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom