Where can we improve? | The Boneyard

Where can we improve?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Although we have a great team, the loss of Paige increases the challenge we will see from the other top teams. So, where can each player improve? Some players need more than one facet of their game to work on, but I will list only one for the key players for now. I think everyone will have different opinions, but here are mine.

Nika- If she listened to Geno and will increase her driving to the basket, more free throw opportunities will occur. Last year she had a very poor FT performance, although her trips to the line were very scarce. She will have to improve that this year to possibly keep us in a game.
AE- Screening. She does screen very well, but after watching many game replays of LY, she is called too many times for a moving screen. Sometimes it is the screeners' fault, but sometimes the shooter makes her move too fast and creates the problem. She has to work on staying put until the shooter makes her move.
Caroline- Aggressiveness. Until she had her bell rung a couple of times under the hoop, Caroline was like a steam engine moving towards the basket. She seemed to improve a little during the last couple of games of the tournament, but she has to get that back for her to be a multi-facetted force.
Dorka- Rebounding. If she isn't on the floor with AE, then she will be our "Big" to box out better to get the rebounds. She does pretty well, but with Liv gone she is our best option after AE. That should be her number one option before scoring.
Amari- Energy. She has the talent, but she never has impressed me as being aggressive defensively. She has the ability to score in or out, but she didn't ever in my opinion possess the drive needed to become a huge factor in our game.
Azzi- Decision making. With Paige gone, she will be the second option at PG. When Nika is on the bench, she has to decide the best option to score, whether to pass to a teammate, or look for her own shot. When Nika is in, she doesn't have to worry about that.
Aubrey- Just stay healthy, and any contribution will be met with enthusiasm.
Lou- Adjustment. Learning to work at the increased speed of the top tier of WBB.

Just my opinion but let's see yours.

Reaction Score
I agree with the original post. Here are some ideas of my own:
Nika = fewer fouls, same energy, careful on those chest bumps you might hurt Dorka or Aaliyah!
Dorka = continued progress on the inside and outside scoring. get ready for the WNBA!
AE = enhanced focus, on those screens, continue the intensity and enthusiasm = it's infectious
Aubrey = bring all you can to the game, we are all glad that you're back, continue with
all that defensive prowess!
Azzi = find your "ZONE", get in your most comfortable mind set - where you can be " all you can be "
( offensively, defensively, and those all-important ball
handling skills. Mayber set a record for Free Throw %???
Caroline = when you get back to those magical games of December and January, the other pieces
of the UCONN puzzle will nicely fall into place, Go MILTON, MA.!
Amari = "Believe" and work hard, the pieces of your game are there, so " be" the lost piece of the
UCONN puzzle.
Lou = still an unknown = become a " known", be smooth, be complementary, be an effective
cog in the UCONN machine!
Yanna and Ice = the future is bright; the future is yours to seize = Carpe Diem!! Go Huskies!!
That "unknown" late transfer to UCONN = this is your opportunity, make Geno and Boneyard
proud of your contribution = whatever it may be!! Z

Reaction Score
I don’t have anything to add to your excellent list, @Bald Huskie

I’ll just reinforce your suggestion for Aaliyah. She’s such a complex key to everything. You’re right to notice the screens, and also that it’s sometimes her teammates’ responsibility not to make their move too soon. I seem to recall both Kara Wolters and Meg Culmo making this same point in game commentaries. A small improvement in this area could enhance every other aspect of her game.

Reaction Score
1--- Azzi becoming more efficient of a shooter from all over the floor and becoming more able to score on her own. Also an ability to create for others.

2--- Nika becoming a much more efficient shooter from 3 and becoming a much more effective/efficient precision-passer. Also less dumb fouls.

3--- Caroline becoming a much more efficient shooter and scorer from 3 and becoming an overall better defender. . Also an ability to create for others at an improved efficiency of passing vs turnovers with a much higher rate of assists.

4--- Lou Becoming a better overall defender. . Also an ability to create for others.

5—Edwards Becoming a more reliable scorer that is much, much more efficient both inside and out. Also less dumb fouls.

6—Dorka Becoming a more reliable scorer that is much, much more efficient both inside and out. And becoming a much better inside defender.

Overall Team Other:

7--- Aubrey getting back to at least same defensive form prior to injury. Along with improved outside shot and decision-making with the ball.

8--- Between Amari, Ayanna, and Ice at least one of these 3 prove to be a better basketball player than Dorka was last year filling the 4/5 positions even if they are only capable of being a 4 in which Edwards/Dorka can be the 5 while they are in.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1--- Azzi becoming more efficient of a shooter from all over the floor and becoming more able to score on her own. Also an ability to create for others.

2--- Nika becoming a much more efficient shooter from 3 and becoming a much more effective/efficient precision-passer. Also less dumb fouls.

3--- Caroline becoming a much more efficient shooter and scorer from 3 and becoming an overall better defender. . Also an ability to create for others at an improved efficiency of passing vs turnovers with a much higher rate of assists.

4--- Lou Becoming a better overall defender. . Also an ability to create for others.

5—Edwards Becoming a more reliable scorer that is much, much more efficient both inside and out. Also less dumb fouls.

6—Dorka Becoming a more reliable scorer that is much, much more efficient both inside and out. And becoming a much better inside defender.

Overall Team Other:

7--- Aubrey getting back to at least same defensive form prior to injury. Along with improved outside shot and decision-making with the ball.

8--- Between Amari, Ayanna, and Ice at least one of these 3 prove to be a better basketball player than Dorka was last year filling the 4/5 positions even if they are only capable of being a 4 in which Edwards/Dorka can be the 5 while they are in.
I was feeling ok until I realized every player has to improve much more. :eek:

Reaction Score
I will approach this more from a top down than bottom up approach. Usually very good teams are significantly above average in just about all statistical categories. Without going back and pulling out the specific numbers, the areas I recall that were relatively weak at least by Uconn standards were 3pt%, FT%, our rate at drawing fouls, and the pace of play (# of possessions per game).

The players that will get more time this year generally are better shooters than those that graduated. Azzi, Caroline and Lou vs. Christyn and Evena, which should help regarding the first two, although not having Paige detracts from that. In terms of drawing fouls, I think it is somewhat a byproduct of an offense that attempts to produce open uncontested shots, and there are other years when we have not been very high in that category.

As for pace, Geno says we like to play fast, and we generally think of our team that way, but statistically at least last year we didn't do it. Our fast breaks were generally due to our defense, when we get a turnover we try to push the pace, but on most possessions we don't. That is partly a byproduct of an offense that patiently looks for a good shot, but may also reflect personnel.

Paige would look ahead to pass the ball upcourt sometimes, but without an opportunity there, would rarely push the pace off the dribble. When Evina had to run the point due to injuries, she would bring it up much slower. Basically Nika was the only one who sometimes raced upcourt with the ball. I get the feeling Caroline could fit in with a fast pace, and Aubrey and Ayanna would like to get out and run, but I don't know about most of our personnel. If we ever reached the point of using a 9-10 player rotation, substituting liberally, pressing and breaking, obviously that would change and some players would benefit (Nika in particular), but I don't know if that will happen or not.

We have shooters to help those percentages, maybe the new bigs can draw some more fouls down low, but I suspect that category and pace are two areas that could stay relatively low.

Reaction Score
These are great lists of what COULD be improved, but not what needs to be. I would be happy with a much shorter list. We got to Finals last year and with a few more points per game on offense, a few less on defense, and the same skills, I like our chances.
-Nika - play at the same pace, just don't foul as much as make one more drive, one more 3-pointer, and one more foul shot a game. Helps take heat off the other 4 players.
-DeBerry - earn 8 minutes a game. Could be through tougher defense and/or rebounding. Her offense is already solid. Take the pressure off our two frosh.
-Team - play the same motion offense we saw at the end of last year and better team defense. Don't let the other team's point guard constantly drive the lane. This causes our bigs to come over to help, leaving noone to rebound (i.e. SC championship game)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
By simply remaining more healthy. Some of the major injuries like those requiring surgery have been noted but other like when Evina started hobbling after a blazing start to the season are equally debilitating. I'm also struggling to think of a recent UCONN player that did not have a major surgery in HS or while at UCONN. Kia Nurse maybe the only one in the past 6 years.

By players improving individually- Last UCONN WBB player to display a significant & noticeable sophomore leap was Napheesa Collier-which was 5 full recruiting classes ago.

By playing a deeper rotation so as to have no single player plays more than 30 MPG.

By listening to the coaching staff-I was struck by Geno comment from last year where he said that on the current team only Caroline is listening-or words to that effect.

By taking care of All NIL business in the off-season. I'm all in favor of NIL for the players don't get me wrong. My issue is that some of these kids kids are working contracts and deals well before the typical college student has had a chance to take a college course which teaches them the meaning of a contract.

By more efficiently utilizing the transfer portal.- Dorka, Evina and Lou are very nice players but if the portal in going to be the way of doing business going forward UCONN needs to be knee deep in it to snag our share of the top talent.

By striking a deal with the Big East to play fewer conference games.

By utilizing more of the available scholarships.

Reaction Score
By simply remaining more healthy. Some of the major injuries like those requiring surgery have been noted but other like when Evina started hobbling after a blazing start to the season are equally debilitating. I'm also struggling to think of a recent UCONN player that did not have a major surgery in HS or while at UCONN. Kia Nurse maybe the only one in the past 6 years.

By players improving individually- Last UCONN WBB player to display a significant & noticeable sophomore leap was Napheesa Collier-which was 5 full recruiting classes ago.

By playing a deeper rotation so as to have no single player plays more than 30 MPG.

By listening to the coaching staff-I was struck by Geno comment from last year where he said that on the current team only Caroline is listening-or words to that effect.

By taking care of All NIL business in the off-season. I'm all in favor of NIL for the players don't get me wrong. My issue is that some of these kids kids are working contracts and deals well before the typical college student has had a chance to take a college course which teaches them the meaning of a contract.

By more efficiently utilizing the transfer portal.- Dorka, Evina and Lou are very nice players but if the portal in going to be the way of doing business going forward UCONN needs to be knee deep in it to snag our share of the top talent.

By striking a deal with the Big East to play fewer conference games.

By utilizing more of the available scholarships.
Love 'em all. But playing a deeper rotation seems like a conundrum -- every year I wish for this, and every year Geno seems to end up playing 5+1 or 5+2 (not counting the little bits). What does he know that I don't... I mean apart from pretty much everything?

I'm also less enthusiastic about using the Portal extensively. It may be unavoidable, but it seems antithetical to the program culture. We've used it occasionally and sometimes to great effect. But I shudder to think we might become like Maryland or Tennessee.

Reaction Score
A very loaded question and all very good comments. Life would be good if they would simply make more baskets especially in clutch situations. If they could be a great shooting team, doing this consistently, the pressure would be off some of the overt weaknesses and this includes free throws as well. Just thinking outload.

Reaction Score
These are great lists of what COULD be improved, but not what needs to be. I would be happy with a much shorter list. We got to Finals last year and with a few more points per game on offense, a few less on defense, and the same skills, I like our chances.
-Nika - play at the same pace, just don't foul as much as make one more drive, one more 3-pointer, and one more foul shot a game. Helps take heat off the other 4 players.
-DeBerry - earn 8 minutes a game. Could be through tougher defense and/or rebounding. Her offense is already solid. Take the pressure off our two frosh.
-Team - play the same motion offense we saw at the end of last year and better team defense. Don't let the other team's point guard constantly drive the lane. This causes our bigs to come over to help, leaving noone to rebound (i.e. SC championship game)
We lost Paige Bueckers. That is a brutal loss. Brutal. (UCONN was a FF lock if healthy. That is no longer the case.) But it can be overcome to a degree because the players are talented enough. But this team now without the 3 seniors and Paige nowhere near resembles last year's team.

From the E8 game and the FF UCONN lost 71% of it's scoring, 50% of it's free throws made, 48% of it's rebounding, and 71% of it's assists. And we know in the Finals we heard Rebecca say over-and-over how SC was going all out to prevent Paige from even touching the ball. They just can't click their heels and expect it just takes a couple of players unless two or three players ramp up their game significantly.

Though, like many of us, I expect that there will be enough players that step up anywhere from a little to a lot which means UCONN will be tough. There's a ton of potential to look forward to.

Reaction Score
Although we have a great team, the loss of Paige increases the challenge we will see from the other top teams. So, where can each player improve? Some players need more than one facet of their game to work on, but I will list only one for the key players for now. I think everyone will have different opinions, but here are mine.

Nika- If she listened to Geno and will increase her driving to the basket, more free throw opportunities will occur. Last year she had a very poor FT performance, although her trips to the line were very scarce. She will have to improve that this year to possibly keep us in a game.
AE- Screening. She does screen very well, but after watching many game replays of LY, she is called too many times for a moving screen. Sometimes it is the screeners' fault, but sometimes the shooter makes her move too fast and creates the problem. She has to work on staying put until the shooter makes her move.
Caroline- Aggressiveness. Until she had her bell rung a couple of times under the hoop, Caroline was like a steam engine moving towards the basket. She seemed to improve a little during the last couple of games of the tournament, but she has to get that back for her to be a multi-facetted force.
Dorka- Rebounding. If she isn't on the floor with AE, then she will be our "Big" to box out better to get the rebounds. She does pretty well, but with Liv gone she is our best option after AE. That should be her number one option before scoring.
Amari- Energy. She has the talent, but she never has impressed me as being aggressive defensively. She has the ability to score in or out, but she didn't ever in my opinion possess the drive needed to become a huge factor in our game.
Azzi- Decision making. With Paige gone, she will be the second option at PG. When Nika is on the bench, she has to decide the best option to score, whether to pass to a teammate, or look for her own shot. When Nika is in, she doesn't have to worry about that.
Lou- Adjustment. Learning to work at the increased speed of the top tier of WBB.

I can get better, You ,can, the "lady huskies can, but these Uconn women can't , they are perfect!!!!

Reaction Score
A very loaded question and all very good comments. Life would be good if they would simply make more baskets especially in clutch situations. If they could be a great shooting team, doing this consistently, the pressure would be off some of the overt weaknesses and this includes free throws as well. Just thinking outload.
You remind me of something Megan Duffy apparently said to her Marquette squad before a game against UConn: “This is UConn we’re playing. We need to score more points.”

Reaction Score
I can get better, You ,can, the "lady huskies can, but these Uconn women can't , they are perfect!!!!
Veryolddog, being a military man, you know your Army/Marines have strengths and weakness, so does your enemy. How to you attack them. You minimize your weaknesses, as best you can mask them, AND you penetrate those of your enemy while trying to side step their strengths.
That is Geno's job. Masking weaknesses. Avoiding, when possible, the strength of the opponents.
Shooting, of this team is the best and with more shooting players than I have seen in many many years. We no longer are prisoners to one or 2 hot or cold shooting STARS. Caroline, Azzi, Edwards, Dorka make more than 30 percent of their shots. If those shots are 3's--you just got an effective 33% increase. IF The newbies are as good as they are hyped to be--so much the better.

Reaction Score
Love 'em all. But playing a deeper rotation seems like a conundrum -- every year I wish for this, and every year Geno seems to end up playing 5+1 or 5+2 (not counting the little bits). What does he know that I don't... I mean apart from pretty much everything?

I'm also less enthusiastic about using the Portal extensively. It may be unavoidable, but it seems antithetical to the program culture. We've used it occasionally and sometimes to great effect. But I shudder to think we might become like Maryland or Tennessee.
5 years or so and back forever, the impression, so stated, by many on the BY were: 1. Geno shall never take a Transfer. 2. Geno shall never start Freshmen. Of course Freshmen were starting when DT was a frosh . I learned to use "qualifiers" in statements like those.
But, the truth is Geno hasn't had much luck with Transfers. Dorka is an exception, Azura was close to being one, but she was a Forward that couldn't fill a post spot.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
5 years or so and back forever, the impression, so stated, by many on the BY were: 1. Geno shall never take a Transfer. 2. Geno shall never start Freshmen. Of course Freshmen were starting when DT was a frosh . I learned to use "qualifiers" in statements like those.
But, the truth is Geno hasn't had much luck with Transfers. Dorka is an exception, Azura was close to being one, but she was a Forward that couldn't fill a post spot.
Just want to mention that Diana didn't start until Svetlana broke her foot against Tennessee, but two years earlier Sue did start until she tore her ACL in her 8th game.

Reaction Score
I’d include Evina as a transfer who worked out.

Reaction Score
Just want to mention that Diana didn't start until Svetlana broke her foot against Tennessee, but two years earlier Sue did start until she tore her ACL in her 8th game.
Maya started her first game. I was watching that one on a 17 inch tv on CPTV--couldn't tell Sveta from DT. Thanks for the clarification!!!

Reaction Score

Of all of Nika's weaknesses Driving I consider her weakest. However, she is still using a Croatia license.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was feeling ok until I realized every player has to improve much more. :eek:
I don't think it's so much an "every player" thing as a team thing.

I think this team is likely to be an elite defensive team -- South Carolina- or Vic Shaeffer-type defense.

So the question mark is offense. What did Coach say repeatedly last year? The ball's getting stuck. So what needs to happen?

Azzi and Caroline are VERY good moving without the ball. Check.

Geno has said that the offense is better with Nika on the floor. As has been pointed out in other threads, Nika needs to take better care of the ball, and not foul so much (stay in the game). Most of all, she needs to learn whether to shoot a pullup, pass, or drive to the basket (and shoot once she's there).

Dorka and Aaliyah have both shown that they CAN be good passers from the high post. They need to be more consistent with that. It'll be wonderful if the other bigs can show some of that too.

This team will shoot well if they move the ball to where the high-percentage shots are. As TonyC said, it's a team sport.

Reaction Score
I generally agree but am wondering how you can conclude that Amari’s offense is “solid” ?

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Dorka have more arm strength. She gets her hands on a lot of rebounds and it gets knocked away. It's also hard for her to finish sometimes.

I'd like to see Azzi "take charge" of this team in the same way Nika does. She's a polite kid and a giving kid. She could help us more if she were a little more self assertive with the ball. That's an area of growth for her. Penetrate. Get to the T and pull up. Knock down open 3's.

I'd love to see Ayanna focus on rebounding and defense more than anything. That's an immediate role she could fill on day one and we need that role badly.

I'm not looking for improvements from Lou. Just create offense as she already knows how to do very well, and play the best D she has in her. Ramp up the intensity because she probably averages around 25 minutes PT in Uconn's system. Most players can improve their stamina.

I hope Caroline is healthy because when she gave us 38 minutes a game for a while she carried our offense. She did it by running more than other players. When in doubt Caroline, move! That seemed to be your motto for much of last year and then the injuries seemed to stop that.

Ice can probably step in and help but it's tough breaking that lineup. She's already better than Amari though and if someone gets injured it would be better if they are a big rather than another guard. We have 5 good bigs.

Man, it sure would be good if Aubrey can even get back to the player she was before she got hurt. That gives us so much more depth and defensive intensity. The probabilities of this team being great go up significantly if Aubrey can contribute. Can she get out on the break like CW did? That would be a plus. Can she get back on D to help stop the opposing team's break? I think she helps us more as a 3 than as a 4.

Reaction Score

Overall Team Other:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom