Where are we at? | The Boneyard

Where are we at?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We're looking at some great talented kids coming in over the next couple of seasons. What we really need is another post to back up ONO. Gabriel will need to be developed, Edwards will need to be developed. So Ono will have to stay out of foul trouble until theyre developed or If we bring in someone else she will have to learn the system and that will take time too So I will leave it up to Geno. We are what we are. Im sure Geno has his sights on a couple of kids and we have a couple coming in who if brought along could fill that need. The good thing is our upper classman will be around for 2 years.

We have a nucleaus to build on. With the way we finished last season we are in prime time to explode. We have a terrific class coming in. We have a great team coming back. I like where were at. Alot of "IFs". Will Westbrook be healthly to start and play the point? Anna looked great at the end of the season. A terrific passer and knock down shots I wanna see Griff hit her outside shots like she did in HS. If she can do that then dribble penetration with her quick first step could make her an AA. Liv has improved so much. She can be domin8. Shot blocker and learn to knock down a baby hook with either hand. CW will be back to form. No doubt she has too much talent and she will be a junior. Everybody else Im confident in.

The freshman class coming in. WOW WOW WOW so much talent that will be developed. Great ball handlers, Great passers, Great shooters and hey dont look over your shoulder because the following year we have height, shooters and ballhandlers. Im excited really excited. Those of you who know me from over the past 26 years know.

Where are we going.....We're Going to the TOP...........the VERY TOP...again

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I could see Ellie Mack from Bucknell for one year to provide depth up front for 2020-2021. Perhaps there is someone else like her in the ever expanding portal.

For 2021-2022, we have ONO, Gabriel, Edwards, and Deberry. We also have a roster of potentially 14 for 2021-2022 if Azzi commits. Brady will be here for 2022-2023 and there are some other very interesting bigs in her class, hopefully we can get one more.

So, I would be cautious about adding anyone else for up front now other than a one year player with immediate eligibility. You might end up losing more than you gain, especially if the transfer rules are eased.

I think Geno`s answer to the physical big behind or with ONO next season is Gabriel and possibly Edwards and he will roll with that. He offered Gabriel, she accepted, he has to coach her up to fill that role. I would note that ONO should be one of the top centers in the country over the next two years, and perhaps the only concern is her ability to match up with Boston of SC. I think she can but she needs to hit the weights.

I think 2020-2021 will be a great season, but the team will be very young and the two seasons following have the potential of being historically great. Winning it all next season would be wonderful, but I think of it as a prelude to 2021-2022.

Reaction Score
Sorr
I could see Ellie Mack from Bucknell for one year to provide depth up front for 2020-2021. Perhaps there is someone else like her in the ever expanding portal.

For 2021-2022, we have ONO, Gabriel, Marshall and Deberry. We also have a roster of potentially 14 for 2021-2022 if Azzi commits. Brady will be here for 2022-2023 and there are some other very interesting bigs in her class, hopefully we can get one more.

So, I would be cautious about adding anyone else for up front now other than a one year player with immediate eligibility. You might end up losing more than you gain, especially if the transfer rules are eased.

I think Geno`s answer to the physical big behind or with ONO next season is Gabriel and possibly Marshall, and he will roll with that. He offered Gabriel, she accepted, he has to coach her up to fill that role. I would note that ONO should be one of the top centers in the country over the next two years, and perhaps the only concern is her ability to match up with Boston of SC. I think she can but she needs to hit the weights.

I think 2020-2021 will be a great season, but the team will be very young and the two seasons following have the potential of being historically great. Winning it all next season would be wonderful, but I think of it as a prelude to 2021-2022.
sorry who’s Marshall you’re referring to?

Reaction Score
We'll be in the Final Four this coming year and for a few years, at least, after that. Too much talent not to, even though they'll be young.

Reaction Score
Geno has said recently that he's watching the transfer portal for a big that can help immediately!
So trust in Geno!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has said recently that he's watching the transfer portal for a big that can help immediately!
So trust in Geno!
I don't remember reading or hearing Geno speak to the bolded part of your statement. On the podcast with Rebecca, Geno in response to a question about transfers, said they were looking at a "couple" kids in portal and he should know something in a few weeks. Did I miss something since that podcast?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So trust in Geno!

Stephanie Soares--The Masters College --Santa Clarita, CA. 6'6"
I saw this young lady play last month in a NAIA game in my neck of the woods. I know Milford Husky mentioned her a couple years ago, as she was rated by ESPN, which rated her as a 5-star prospect with a 96 scouts grade and 10th overall at her position.
The problem is her older sister is a senior this year at the same school and she also has a brother playing there too. So getting her to leave would be like getting Lou to not go to Stanford and play with Karlie and instead play for UConn. Wait, that happened?
She is on the Brazilian National team too.

We can always wish.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stephanie Soares--The Masters College --Santa Clarita, CA. 6'6"
I saw this young lady play last month in a NAIA game in my neck of the woods. I know Milford Husky mentioned her a couple years ago, as she was rated by ESPN, which rated her as a 5-star prospect with a 96 scouts grade and 10th overall at her position.
The problem is her older sister is a senior this year at the same school and she also has a brother playing there too. So getting her to leave would be like getting Lou to not go to Stanford and play with Karlie and instead play for UConn. Wait, that happened?
She is on the Brazilian National team too.
We can always wish.

Soares is the one on the left. The one on the right is Kamilla Cardosa ( I'm using the ESPN spelling which some claim is incorrect) Cardosa was briefly on the UCONN radar (Geno went to her HS to see her play) and she is headed to Syracuse in the fall. I believe the two are related. Did Soares look like a UCONN contributor when you saw her play?
1586563279063.png

Reaction Score
Good thoughts, Tony. You are correct that the talent is there for championships. A lot of "ifs" remain in between that time and the season opener. I think that your comment: "So I will leave it up to Geno." is prudent at this time.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Soares is the one on the left. The one on the right is Kamilla Cardosa ( I'm using the ESPN spelling which some claim is incorrect) Cardosa was briefly on the UCONN radar (Geno went to her HS to see her play) and she is headed to Syracuse in the fall. I believe the two are related. Did Soares look like a UCONN contributor when you saw her play?
View attachment 52922
She played against Vanguard U. I think The Masters was ranked 3rd in the nation and VU ranked 6th in the nation, so both were good teams. They, VU, loves to play an up tempo, run set plays and always in motion game. She ran the floor better than any big, 6'4" or over, I have seen in a long time. She was an intimidation force in the middle, but remember NAIA doesnt have many real bigs, at least not with top skilled levels. This gal impressed me.
On her Bio, linked in my other post, it appears she was named the NAIA Division 1 player of the year for the past season. If so, that tells me she can play at D1 level. Whether it is UConn level is another story, but Brazil National team has to help. I think there are some You Tube videos of her, from the Brazil team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She played against Vanguard U. I think The Masters was ranked 3rd in the nation and VU ranked 6th in the nation, so both were good teams. They, VU, loves to play an up tempo, run set plays and always in motion game. She ran the floor better than any big, 6'4" or over, I have seen in a long time. She was an intimidation force in the middle, but remember NAIA doesnt have many real bigs, at least not with top skilled levels. This gal impressed me.
On her Bio, linked in my other post, it appears she was named the NAIA Division 1 player of the year for the past season. If so, that tells me she can play at D1 level. Whether it is UConn level is another story, but Brazil National team has to help. I think there are some You Tube videos of her, from the Brazil team.
Here is one of those video her strength definitely appears to be her mobility. Also don’t remember the specifics but at least part of her college decision was religion based. She has been named NAIA POY for the past two season. BTW that vanguard team played UCONN in the preseason not so long ago. VU plays very good organized basketball.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Here is one of those video her strength definitely appears to be her mobility. Also don’t remember the specifics but at least part of her college decision was religion based. She has been named NAIA POY for the past two season. BTW that vanguard team played UCONN in the preseason not so long ago. VU plays very good organized basketball.

Vanguards coach, Russ Davis, is also coach of the AAU team Cal Swish. Lou and Laren Engeln, both UConn former players, played for that AAU team.

Reaction Score
We have to wait six months before the beginning of basketball practice and it is going to be a tough summer without major league baseball and the major golf tournaments. I could care less about pro basketball, hockey, tennis, or soccer, but have been a baseball fan all my life, beginning with a devotion to the Brooklyn Dodgers. As far as the 2020-21 season is concerned, we will have a number of questions to ponder over the next few months.

Will COVID-19 be sufficiently under control so that the fall and winter sports can be played? The odds are, yes, but under what conditions?

Will the players have to wear masks and will the public be allowed to attend the games? The chances are no and yes, but will social distancing still have to be maintained at least in part and fans subjected to temperature checks or the wearing of face masks before being admitted to the stands? No one really knows at this juncture.

Olivia Nelson-Odoba - will she gain strength over the summer and can she reduce her tendency to foul?

Christyn Williams - can she improve on a sophomore year in which many believe she under performed?

Anna Makurat - assuming that conditions improve enough and she can fly back to the US, can she build upon the second half of her freshman year and become the all-around talent she showed in spots?

Aubrey Griffin - will she add a mid-range jump shot to her repertoire, one then consists now largely of lay ups and scoring off offensive rebounds?

Evina Westbrook - has she recovered from her second surgery and will she work back into top playing shape? Will she fulfill the promise she showed at Tennessee? Will she be a one and done player for UConn?

Paige Bueckers - can she make the leap from high school to college and take over as point guard, as did Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird as freshmen? And will she live up to a portion of all the hype around her?

Aaliyah Edwards - has she been under appreciated by the ratings mavins like Kia Nurse was and play meaningful and productive minutes at the power forward position?

Mir McLean - can she be a strong defensive presence and display some Gabi Williams like moves?

Nika Muhl - a true point guard, will her passing ability and team orientation lead to getting significant minutes?

Piath Gabriel - termed a project, can she be skilled enough to play some quality minutes when Nelson-Odoba gets in foul trouble and/or when the Huskies play big and physical teams?

So much to think about and so much time.

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin - will she add a mid-range jump shot to her repertoire, one then consists now largely of lay ups and scoring off offensive rebounds?

At the beginning of the season I was wondering what the driveway games at the Griffin household were like. Did her brothers and father take it easy on Aubrey? By early January, I was asking if Aubrey took it easy on them?

Reaction Score
"Paige Bueckers - can she make the leap from high school to college and take over as point guard, as did Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird as freshmen? And will she live up to a portion of all the hype around her?" YES. She's the next great Husky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom