Where are they now? | The Boneyard

Where are they now?

Reaction Score
With Megan heading off to the WNBA, I wondered how her three classmates were doing.

Lexi Gordon has found a home for herself at Texas Tech. She has become a starter, averaging 29.5 min/gm, shooting 42.4% (36.5 from 3pt), 83.6% at the line, 13.0 ppg, 6.1 rpg.

Andra Espinoza-Hunter has struggled to find her niche at Mississippi State. 12.2 min/gm, shooting 36.9% (26.2 from 3pt!!), 67.7% at the line, 4.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg.

Mikayla Coombs should have an impact at Georgia, but this was her year to sit out due to transfer.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that this is the first year that Geno has ever had a class that he recruited and not have one of them graduate at UConn.

Reaction Score
I believe that this is the first year that Geno has ever had a class that he recruited and not have one of them graduate at UConn.
Hadn't thought about it that way. Has there ever been a year with no recruits at all? I know I heard the stat that this is the first two consecutive classes since 1989-90 to not have a player win a championship. That's pretty remarkable.

Reaction Score
Around 03 or 04, the recruited class was Liz Sherwood, Kianna Robinson, and Kia Wright (possible I've switched the two first names). Robinson left after a year--don't know where she went. Sherwood left after a year (two?) and went to Vandy, where she played, but was a sub. Wright left almost as soon as she arrived--I think it was homesickness--and played well at St. Johns. A wipeout for the class of recruits.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Around 03 or 04, the recruited class was Liz Sherwood, Kianna Robinson, and Kia Wright (possible I've switched the two first names). Robinson left after a year--don't know where she went. Sherwood left after a year (two?) and went to Vandy, where she played, but was a sub. Wright left almost as soon as she arrived--I think it was homesickness--and played well at St. Johns. A wipeout for the class of recruits.

You didn't look that up? Wow, that is one impressive memory. :)

Reaction Score
It was either Geno or some other ultra-successful coach who said that he didn't remember the wins well, but remembered every loss. So as a fan, I remember the recruiting losses. Here are two other blasts from the past: Tammy Arnold, recruited right after the 95 championship, left after one year despite being rated the #1 recruit--did moderately well at a West Coast school (maybe Portland); Tihana Abrlic, point guard good for six assists a game--three to UConn, three to the opposition.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A sign of the times???? Has the number of entries in the transfer portal been increasing annually??? Might not be a problem unique to UConn...

Reaction Score
Andra should have stayed at UConn. She would have played a prominent role on this year's team. May have hurt her chances for a WNBA career.

Reaction Score
Playing for Geno and UConn is a true investment with associated pros and cons. I have sat behind the UConn bench many times and was amazed at the volume of yelling and sarcasm. I could not personally play for Geno but recognize him as one of the greatest coaches in any sport as well as one of the most unique success stories in US sports (i.e. family coming over from Italy at 6 without any language skills, etc.). If you believed you could become one of the best women's basketball players and/or wanted the UConn logo on your resume, you take the good with the bad. Its reasonable to understand why others leave.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This article from the UConn Blog gives a slightly more detailed write up of our Wayward transfers

Example of interesting talking points

Though Coombs couldn’t take part in game action or travel to road games, she drew rave reviews from the team about her work ethic in practice and earned praise as a teammate — most notably helping point guard Gabby Connally recover from wisdom teeth surgery.

Reaction Score
Playing for Geno and UConn is a true investment with associated pros and cons. I have sat behind the UConn bench many times and was amazed at the volume of yelling and sarcasm. I could not personally play for Geno but recognize him as one of the greatest coaches in any sport as well as one of the most unique success stories in US sports (i.e. family coming over from Italy at 6 without any language skills, etc.). If you believed you could become one of the best women's basketball players and/or wanted the UConn logo on your resume, you take the good with the bad. Its reasonable to understand why others leave.
If you think Geno yells, have you not noticed the rants Kim goes on, remember Pats stare, or bombs Dawn throws out all game long. Every coach looks calm until things go wrong. Every top coach is very hard on their players because the pressure is great and molding 18 to 22 year olds, most coming to college with bad habits, to "get it" is hard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom