Where are They Now: Former UConn star Doron Sheffer | The Boneyard

Where are They Now: Former UConn star Doron Sheffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm happy he's happy, but I would have liked to have seen him really try to make it in the NBA.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I dont remember him ever being called the "Jewish Jordan". Maybe my memory is fading.

Reaction Score
Very nice read. Always wondered what happened to Doron.
One of my favorite players to watch years ago.

Those 3/4 court passes on a dime were a thing of beauty.
Only Marcus Williams came close to passes like those...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Probably my favorite UCONN player. There was always a sense that he "understood." Looks like that spilled over from his real life.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
alexd. said:
How many long lead chest passes did Doron throw to Donny Marshall for easy layups???? He had that pass down pat.

This will always be the epitome of UCONN basketball in my view.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Always liked Doron's game and I can see better after reading this article why it was focused and consistent. To repeat what others have posted here, his long passes for easy lay ups to Donny and others were a thing of beauty. The other team would score and Doron would inbound the pass 3/4 court or more resulting in 2 pts before the other team knew what happened. Good memories.

Reaction Score
I remember players on Georgetown trying to ride him at the foul line and thinking that he must have thought it was funny to try to yap at someone who carried a machine gun , ready to fight terrorists in the Israeli army. he had that wry smile.

Reaction Score
I remember players on Georgetown trying to ride him at the foul line and thinking that he must have thought it was funny to try to yap at someone who carried a machine gun , ready to fight terrorists in the Israeli army. he had that wry smile.

I think, but I'm not sure, it was Nadav Henefeld, that absorbed Alonzo Mourning's anti-semitic disgraceful tirade in the Big East Championship vs. Georgetown. I don't think Sheffer had anything like what was thrown at Henefeld. Both the Israelis were cool under pressure; never seemed to get rattled.

Reaction Score
Great article, thanks for posting.
Played at the highest level of college basketball in USA and had great career as a pro in Israel.
Seems very happy with his family, his religion and his life choices.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference".

A Husky all fans should always remember with pride.

Reaction Score
I think, but I'm not sure, it was Nadav Henefeld, that absorbed Alonzo Mourning's anti-semitic disgraceful tirade in the Big East Championship vs. Georgetown. I don't think Sheffer had anything like what was thrown at Henefeld. Both the Israelis were cool under pressure; never seemed to get rattled.
It was Dav. And yes, the Mourning.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Definitely could have played in the NBA. Nadav as well.

Maybe Nadav. definitely Doron. Doron could have been a starting pg if he really wanted it.

Nadav was perfect for that UCONN team but there was no natural NBA position for him.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Sheffer came back to JC's charity event a few years ago. The crew-cut military look was gone, a thinner curly-haired Doron spent the warm up time walking around the court barefoot - relaxed and taking it all in. He looked very different, but exactly the same.

Reaction Score
Sheffer came back to JC's charity event a few years ago. The crew-cut military look was gone, a thinner curly-haired Doron spent the warm up time walking around the court barefoot - relaxed and taking it all in. He looked very different, but exactly the same.

I remember going to that game and Doron played well. His basketball IQ, skill and size for the pg position would have made him a good player in the NBA. It was interesting to read in the article but not surprising that Ray Allen thought Doron would have had a 10 year career in the NBA.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Doron is an intense, crunchy granola type! Who would have guessed? Sounds like a life well lived.
Thanks for the article.

Reaction Score
Doron had crazy vision and the coolest demeanor. That 95 team stands up to any UConn team.

Too bad he got drafted by the Clippers. I blame Donald Sterling.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Very nice read. Always wondered what happened to Doron.
One of my favorite players to watch years ago.

Those 3/4 court passes on a dime were a thing of beauty.
Only Marcus Williams came close to passes like those...
@tcf15 extra credit if you can put together a few clips of Doron's full court passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom