Where are the Sun fans? | The Boneyard

Where are the Sun fans?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a great game last night. They look like a tough out to me. Especially with a determined Alyssa Thomas.
Yup. Glad the Lynx avoided them

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Right here! Good win last night against another depleted squad. LA is on another level from Chicago and probably has some Playoff Payback in mind. Without JJ, Stricklen and Williams, 3 point shooting has not been up to speed (11th in the league in the reg season and worse last night) and that might be telling. Exploiting their rebounding edge and putting in an intense defensive effort will be key for the Sun.

I haven't been posting a lot because the Sun appears to be of little interest here beside maybe 3-4 other 'Yarders. Outside of UConn alums, interest in the W in general seems oddly low here given that it represents the apex of women's basketball talent and competition.

The Sun's only UConn alum is, sadly, not doing so well (29% FG, 25.5% 3PT, 57.1% FT). I would not be surprised to see her out of the league next season. :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Right here! Good win last night against another depleted squad. LA is on another level from Chicago and probably has some Playoff Payback in mind. Without JJ, Stricklen and Williams, 3 point shooting has not been up to speed (11th in the league in the reg season and worse last night) and that might be telling. Exploiting their rebounding edge and putting in an intense defensive effort will be key for the Sun.

I haven't been posting a lot because the Sun appears to be of little interest here beside maybe 3-4 other 'Yarders. Outside of UConn alums, interest in the W in general seems oddly low here given that it represents the apex of women's basketball talent and competition.

The Sun's only UConn alum is, sadly, not doing so well (29% FG, 25.5% 3PT, 57.1% FT). I would not be surprised to see her out of the league next season. :(

I was all set to be a fan of the Liberty but :(:(:(

For non home teams, it is natural to root for the teams with significant and successful UConn players. (Mercury, Lynx, Storm and if I stretch the definition alot Sky)

Reaction Score
Apparently some people here did watch the Sun-Sky game, so a bit surprised no mention of the great game Gabby played. Not only scoring, but, if you watched carefully ,as I did, really made things a whole lot more difficult for Thomas in the 2nd half. Gabby is such a tough defender; she is quick, tenacious, and physical, all of which was needed to deal with Thomas at all. More and more, she has been given the tough defensive assignments thru the Sky's season. With much more playing time, the both-ends-of-the-court Gabby game has really been fun to watch again. Much enjoyed seeing her more aggressive offensively( making threes, going to the basket).
We have watched the WNBA games every night, and really interesting to see players, like Gabby, who have benefitted from the absence of other players, with more playing time. Jones of the Sun is one of the best examples of this happening, as she has really played well with Jonquel not around. I've always marveled at the way players perform when given a chance, whether it be in this WNBA season, with players opting out, or because some player is injured. With all the examples of this over the many sports over the years, the first player I think of who benefitted from another's injury and performed so well is Earl Morrall. First Johnny Unitas goes down for the Colts, then a few years later Bob Griese goes down for the Dolphins. We could probably have a separate post here about other players over the years who have stepped in. Just one of the more fascinating things in sport for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Apparently some people here did watch the Sun-Sky game, so a bit surprised no mention of the great game Gabby played.
It's rare to get props for a "great" game when your team got smoked. I think individual perspective is coming into play here. I'm thinking when Gabby was in the game your eyes were on her and maybe magnified her play. I say that because I was watching as a Sun fan and barely noticed Gabby at all.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gabby hit a couple late 3's in Q2, had a poor 3rd quarter, then really played well in Q4. It didn't matter though, because Chicago was playing from behind almost the whole way and it was too much of an uphill battle for them to overcome. I didn't notice her so much on defense. Also, I didn't notice ANYONE slowing down A. Thomas, she was a beast all game long.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun steamrolls LA. I'm glad they're not playing Seattle next.

Reaction Score
Sun fansare even less prominent as the men’s fans when uncle cliffy died

psconn

Reaction Score

So how'd I do? The Sun shot 45% from 3 :eek:, had no appreciable rebounding edge :confused:, BUT definitely put in some work on the D :). A .333 batting average is pretty good in baseball, right ;). The important thing is that they move on to the Semi-Finals. Las Vegas... yikes.

Reaction Score
Does Sun have any UConn players? If no, sorry ... :p

Reaction Score
Sad to see KML's shot abandoning her. She was 1 of the best 3-point shooters in college history.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I hope the Sun fans are watching their great play against the Ace's. They are kicking their rear ends. I've never liked Bill Laimbeer, I think he was one of the dirtiest players in the NBA. Even though I live in Vegas I would rather see Connecticut win the series.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
These guys are playing great team ball, especially on D. Feeding the hot hand on offense, hitting both boards. I picked a great time to get back on the bandwagon.

psconn

Reaction Score
One down, two to go.... can it happen???

Reaction Score
Apparently some people here did watch the Sun-Sky game, so a bit surprised no mention of the great game Gabby played. Not only scoring, but, if you watched carefully ,as I did, really made things a whole lot more difficult for Thomas in the 2nd half. Gabby is such a tough defender; she is quick, tenacious, and physical, all of which was needed to deal with Thomas at all. More and more, she has been given the tough defensive assignments thru the Sky's season. With much more playing time, the both-ends-of-the-court Gabby game has really been fun to watch again. Much enjoyed seeing her more aggressive offensively( making threes, going to the basket).
We have watched the WNBA games every night, and really interesting to see players, like Gabby, who have benefitted from the absence of other players, with more playing time. Jones of the Sun is one of the best examples of this happening, as she has really played well with Jonquel not around. I've always marveled at the way players perform when given a chance, whether it be in this WNBA season, with players opting out, or because some player is injured. With all the examples of this over the many sports over the years, the first player I think of who benefitted from another's injury and performed so well is Earl Morrall. First Johnny Unitas goes down for the Colts, then a few years later Bob Griese goes down for the Dolphins. We could probably have a separate post here about other players over the years who have stepped in. Just one of the more fascinating things in sport for me.
Gabby should be playing more and being aggressive on offense she was to passive at times

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun let this one get away. It's a shame after all McCoughtry was doing to keep them in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom