When will we know next years AAC schedule? | The Boneyard

When will we know next years AAC schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Would love to be able to start arranging travel plans (hopefully to ECU!) does anyone know what the date is for the schedule release?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm not really sure. The opponents are released first then the actual dates come out. I think spring at some point.

Reaction Score
Excerpts from an article on the UCF site that cannot be linked to ;):

"UCF's 2014 league opponents and home/away designations will soon be revealed. The American Athletic Conference will make a formal announcement in early January, according to the league's Director of Communications Chuck Sullivan. The full schedule will be released in mid-to-late February."

The following is also referenced:

>>In November, schools were given a tentative list of opponents with instructions not to release the information. A staffer at Temple inadvertently listed their home/away slate within their game notes, revealing they'd be hosting Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis and Tulsa while traveling to UCF, UConn, Houston and Tulane. An East Carolina fan on a message board, said to be well-connected, claims to have seen the Pirates' opponents which include home games against UCF, UConn, SMU and Tulane and road games at Cincinnati, Houston, Temple and USF.

While schools may have opponents in hand, a source claims the American's television partner, ESPN, makes the final call in all scheduling matters so changes could still be made. For instance, if UCF is not slated to play Cincinnati - two teams that should be the league frontrunners in 2014 - ESPN could put in a request that the game be scheduled.<<

We'll see soon 'nuff I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all gonna change anyway when B1G announces it was a typo and we're in with Rutgirls thrown to the curb, just plain drunk and stupid.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Would love to be able to start arranging travel plans (hopefully to ECU!) does anyone know what the date is for the schedule release?

Bob says wins are this way. I'd book travel accordingly.

ncf_a_bob-diaco_mb_600x400.jpg

Drew

Reaction Score
its kind of insane that espn has enough control to be able to say that UCF and Cincinnati should play each other but in all reality the AAC is shooting itself in the foot if UCF doesn't play Cincy, ECU, Houston, USF, UConn since those are supposedly the "stronger" teams. All those teams should be playing each other. Doesn't matter if UCF plays Temple or not.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
its kind of insane that espn has enough control to be able to say that UCF and Cincinnati should play each other but in all reality the AAC is shooting itself in the foot if UCF doesn't play Cincy, ECU, Houston, USF, UConn since those are supposedly the "stronger" teams. All those teams should be playing each other. Doesn't matter if UCF plays Temple or not.

I agree with you about the insanity of ESPN's control (if true). I don't agree with you about UCF, Cincy, Houston, and UConn playing against each other every year. If the idea is to get the conference at least 1 team that is the highest ranked out of the non-P5, in order to achieve the BCS game over the MW and others, then we should avoid creating scenarios that have our best teams beating up on each other.

And I'm guessing that UConn and UCF will be on one side of the future divisional splits anyways, with Cincy and Houston on the other side. The crossover games will create some of the big matchups in-season, but not every year. And that's probably how it should be, if we want to capture that big bowl bid every year...

Reaction Score
I agree with you about the insanity of ESPN's control (if true). I don't agree with you about UCF, Cincy, Houston, and UConn playing against each other every year. If the idea is to get the conference at least 1 team that is the highest ranked out of the non-P5, in order to achieve the BCS game over the MW and others, then we should avoid creating scenarios that have our best teams beating up on each other.

And I'm guessing that UConn and UCF will be on one side of the future divisional splits anyways, with Cincy and Houston on the other side. The crossover games will create some of the big matchups in-season, but not every year. And that's probably how it should be, if we want to capture that big bowl bid every year...
I agree. While I like good TV match-ups for publicity sake, we need to have clear conference leaders with solid records. The big east never got respect, partly because there was often parity among the league. If we want the BCS slot to go to the American, we cannot have our leaders all knock each other off and each end up with 2 losses.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is a carry over from the contract that the BE signed with ESPN ~ seven years ago that many individual (basketball) schools bragged about even though it was paying ~ 50 cents on the dollar (per school) vs what ESPN was paying the then ACC for men's hoops games.

For an additional couple of TV dollars the conference gave ESPN full control of football scheduling, making it impossible for the conference build rivalry games (we easily could have justified ending each season with WVU=Pitt, Louisville-Cincinnati and UConn-Rutgers or UConn-Syracuse matchups).

The who plays who is new as the old BE always had a full round robin schedule, something that cannot happen in the AAC. I imagine that once we reach twelve members there will be fixed divisions with a fixed schedule of opponents. Until then we (all members of the conference) will need to fall in line as ESPN pawns. Hopefully we will only need to endure this for a few seasons before we move to the B1G.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
the golden words will be UCONN @ Tulane - anyone who's ever spent quality time in the Big Easy knows this is the BEST road trip possible - hopefully on a weekend without a major "event" (Voodoo) or a huge convention - then hotels will be cheap and plentiful

Reaction Score
We'll see what ESPN knows or doesn't know (or how many typos they have in a day)...

Jarom Jordan‏@jaromjordan
ESPN showed the 2014 BYU football schedule last night. UCONN is listed as a Wednesday game to open the season. pic.twitter.com/SQ9HOFcMgU

BclbZ_zCcAEp-le.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We'll see what ESPN knows or doesn't know (or how many typos they have in a day)...

Jarom Jordan‏@jaromjordan
ESPN showed the 2014 BYU football schedule last night. UCONN is listed as a Wednesday game to open the season. pic.twitter.com/SQ9HOFcMgU

View attachment 4604
Really hoping we get an ESPN or ESPN2 game to start the season. That would be cool.

Drew

Reaction Score
interesting to see that BYU is playing three American teams, us Houston and UCF

Reaction Score
UCONN vs BYU on a week night should be carried on a network....

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Excerpts from an article on the UCF site that cannot be linked to ;):

"UCF's 2014 league opponents and home/away designations will soon be revealed. The American Athletic Conference will make a formal announcement in early January, according to the league's Director of Communications Chuck Sullivan. The full schedule will be released in mid-to-late February."

The following is also referenced:

>>In November, schools were given a tentative list of opponents with instructions not to release the information. A staffer at Temple inadvertently listed their home/away slate within their game notes, revealing they'd be hosting Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis and Tulsa while traveling to UCF, UConn, Houston and Tulane. An East Carolina fan on a message board, said to be well-connected, claims to have seen the Pirates' opponents which include home games against UCF, UConn, SMU and Tulane and road games at Cincinnati, Houston, Temple and USF.

While schools may have opponents in hand, a source claims the American's television partner, ESPN, makes the final call in all scheduling matters so changes could still be made. For instance, if UCF is not slated to play Cincinnati - two teams that should be the league frontrunners in 2014 - ESPN could put in a request that the game be scheduled.<<

We'll see soon 'nuff I guess.

Sorry, you lost me at 'television partner'...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Preaching to choir - that's exactly what i do, but it causes consternation for some.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love how Tulane is constantly the butt of jokes and derision around here. Tulane won 7 games and played in a bowl in a destination city (just happened to be their home stadium). As good as I thought UConn's talent was, the Huskies only won 3 games and have not played in the post season for the 3rd consecutive year.

Tulane also has recent sporadic NFL draftee success in Shawn King, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Mewelde Moore, and Matt Forte.

They are a program on the rise again.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I love how Tulane is constantly the butt of jokes and derision around here. Tulane won 7 games and played in a bowl in a destination city (just happened to be their home stadium). As good as I thought UConn's talent was, the Huskies only won 3 games and have not played in the post season for the 3rd consecutive year.

Tulane also has recent sporadic NFL draftee success in Shawn King, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Mewelde Moore, and Matt Forte.

Your overall point is solid, but other than Matt Forte, I am missing the success at the NFL level for the draftees named above (although, admittedly, I only lightly skimmed after reading the words "success" and "Losman" in the same sentence.")

Reaction Score

Shawn King. Way to reach back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member