When Will Morgan Tuck and Natalie Butler Leave UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When Will Morgan Tuck and Natalie Butler Leave UConn?

What will Morgan and Natalie do after they receive their degree?

• Both will leave UConn for the WNBA

• Both will stay for their 4th year of eligibility at UConn

• Morgan will return to UConn but Natalie will go to the WNBA

• Natalie will return to UConn but Morgan will go to the WNBA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Butler will be in same class as Saniya from what I understand.

We'll have Butler (jr) and Boykin (So), then we'll have an additional 4 players who can play pf depending on matchups while also having Boykin able to play. We'll have Collier, KLS, Gabby and Irwin. All can play pf to some degree.
Butler is part of the Ekmark, Williams and Nurse class... If Tuck leaves early the "post" players would be as follows:

Butler (RS Jr), Boykin (So), Irwin (Fr). We will see what Tuck decides to do. As a UCONN fan, I hope she stays...

Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan I would agree that I would like Morgan to stay but with that said if playing in the WNBA is a dream come true then I think she should leave. She is recovering well from her torn ACL and you never know when another injury might occur which could end those dreams. I think Butler stays because she has more to prove as to what she can do.

Reaction Score
Butler is part of the Ekmark, Williams and Nurse class... If Tuck leaves early the "post" players would be as follows:

Butler (RS Jr), Boykin (So), Irwin (Fr). We will see what Tuck decides to do. As a UCONN fan, I hope she stays...

Yes you're right!! I screwed up. Butler 3 years, Damn glad to have it! As of this moment right now we have such a great assuredness of 5years of super basketball.

Reaction Score
sawxfan23, how would you know Natalie's potential? Geno has had very few transfers during his 30 years. He wouldn't have accepted her if he didn't believe she was a fit for the program. How many times have you seen her play, live or on video? Probably never. Natalie will be great, and then you'll have to pull your foot out of your mouth.

Actually, I have seen her play in person, on TV, as well as online video. Just because I don't think she will play in the WNBA doesn't mean that "she isn't a fit for the UConn program", wont be a good player at UConn, doesn't work hard enough, isn't a nice person. All it means is that I don't think her game translates to the WNBA, and guess what? That's OK. Not every player in the history of the UConn program has to play in the WNBA. So lets wait and see before insulting me!

"

Reaction Score
By all accounts, life at UConn is more enjoyable than life in the WNBA. . . . You want to put off the real world as long as possible, I would think.

Particularly since there is no irresistible money at stake.

Nobody would be leaving millions on the table by staying.

Reaction Score
Morgan is a jewel...she will have a lot of temptation...will take some willpower to stay put. I haven't seen enough of Natalie to opine.

My advice to both...get all the education you can...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The European/ Asian money isn't quite what it was ten years ago so none of these women are really earning 'drop dead' money during there careers. A few players can make big endorsement money, but there are not that many Maya/Diggins kind of stories, so having a start on an advanced degree is a real positive for whatever the post playing careers may be.
I would be surprised to see any player leave early who is getting big minutes. A player like Wolfe had really already lost basketball to her numerous injuries, so getting on with life made more sense for her.

Reaction Score
The European/ Asian money isn't quite what it was ten years ago so none of these women are really earning 'drop dead' money during there careers. A few players can make big endorsement money, but there are not that many Maya/Diggins kind of stories, so having a start on an advanced degree is a real positive for whatever the post playing careers may be.
I would be surprised to see any player leave early who is getting big minutes. A player like Wolfe had really already lost basketball to her numerous injuries, so getting on with life made more sense for her.

How much does an average player make? And what about Faris? She probably isn't making much-- but how much?

If the pay isn't so good then why do so many top tier players not forego professional basketball because of sub-par pay and go into other professions?

I don't know which is why I asked. Not bent on arguing. Until I see some some numbers I think the pay is still darn good between the two.

Reaction Score
How much does an average player make? And what about Faris? She probably isn't making much-- but how much?

If the pay isn't so good then why do so many top tier players not forego professional basketball because of sub-par pay and go into other professions?

I don't know which is why I asked. Not bent on arguing. Until I see some some numbers I think the pay is still darn good between the two.
(Approximate - WNBA)
League min $35K
Min for 3 years tenure $51K
League max $105K
League avg $72K
Even with these pathetic salary levels, half the teams lose money

Reaction Score
(Approximate - WNBA)
League min $35K
Min for 3 years tenure $51K
League max $105K
League avg $72K
Even with these pathetic salary levels, half the teams lose money

And what about overseas?

Reaction Score
I just read here average salary for a WNBA player was $75k.

http://www.ask.com/business-finance/average-wnba-salary-d7817b7841221e8

Withthis article there is a reference of Krtsit Toliver in which the article makes comments such as she makes a fraction in WNBA that she makes overseas and this article is June 2014. In addition it uses words such as "a dynamo salary" overseas.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d354c6-197b-11e4-88f7-96ed767bb747_story.html

But here is a an article I found a quote from Kalana Greene from "The Day" and Mike DiMauro

http://www.theday.com/article/20140430/SPORT01/304309925

"It comes down to what everything else comes down to: money. Women's basketball players make more overseas. Lots more. Kalana Greene said Tuesday "five and six times and more.""

"I understand why wages are what they are. I'm not naïve enough to think they should pay us all millions of dollars if you don't have millions to pay. They're doing a good job with what they have. But players make five and six times, even more over there. It's hard, but it's the truth."

This article - speaks of political unrest in both Russia and Israel which are big check providers so maybe in a few years it dries up. However as of 2014 his article is spouting most players making $100K and plus that overseas. Add the $72K-$75K and players are making a pretty good buck.

http://articles.courant.com/2014-08...07-20140809_1_ukraine-russia-renee-montgomery

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tuck is going to leave for the WNBA with her class of Stewart and Jefferson. In the most recent Geno Show Tuck was asked a question and said something like "I have 2 years left maybe more". That just struck me for some reason that she was leaning towards leaving with her class. I think that Butler will stay and use all of her eligibility. I don't think that Butler is going to be a big WNBA prospect and will end up playing overseas instead.
I think Morgan does feel a connection to Stewie and Moriah. Will that cause her to leave with them? Perhaps. Maybe she'll enjoy UConn, the coaches, and her younger teammates so much that she'll want to stick around. Will Norgan want a shot at up to 5 rings?

My guess is that Natalie is bonding with Kia, Gabby, and Courtney, who are also newbies, and will want to play with them through 2018.

I think the 2 situations are different. Morgan can be at UConn for 5 years and play 4+ seasons. Natalie can be at UConn for 4 years and play 3 seasons there. I think Natalie is more likely to stay.

My biggest hope is that Morgan is perfectly healthy and doesn't have injury affecting the decision.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I dunno, the Heisman Trophy winner decided to return to college rather than go pro. Everyone has different priorities and making money isn't always first on the list.
Which one? Not Mariotta.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This discussion reminded me of Dave Bike, a high school athlete at the same time I was. He had to make the decision between a full time college scholarship, and a professional contract. Male athletes are faced with this decision every year.

BTW, I found this bio of Dave Bike at Sacred Heart University:

DAVE BIKE

excerpt:

In his youth, Dave Bike was perhaps one of the most gifted athletes from the State of Connecticut and certainly the best in the City of Bridgeport. He played with and against men from the region who went on the play professionally in both basketball and baseball who will tell you what a fierce competitor and athlete Dave Bike was.

At nearby Notre Dame High School, he was an outstanding baseball player as well as an All-New England and All-State basketball selection that elected to bypass scholarship offers from Fordham and Boston College to sign a professional baseball contract.

Bike caught professionally for eight seasons (1965-72) in the Detroit Tigers’ farm system, reaching the Triple-A level. He played semi-professional basketball for several clubs during the off-season. Just a width of the chalk line from the Major Leagues, Bike walked away from the game he loved to go college an embark on a career as a teacher and coach.

He returned home to Bridgeport and enrolled at Sacred Heart University and is a member of the third graduating class in school history. While a student, he served as an assistant coach to his predecessor, J. Donald Feeley during the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons and graduated with a B.A. in Mathematics. He returned to his alma mater in 1978 after four seasons as an assistant basketball coach at Division I Seattle University.
I remember Dave Bike. He was a stud. I thought he would be the next Bill Freehan, but he wasn't quite at that level.

He and Rodock Cox were a formidable duo on the court.

Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff graduated and left with her class, rather than use an extra year of eligibility. On the Geno show, Morgan said, " I have at least two years left." That means she hasn't made up her mind yet. But she also said her best friend is Stewie, and I'm sure she feels a part of the MoJeff, Stewie class. She probably won't make a decision until she has to.

Butler is a different story, since she didn't come in with any other recruits. Since she voluntarily chose to sit out a year, I think she will use all of her eligibility. Only time will tell.
Nicole Wolff wasn't the player she might have been, prior to her injuries. She wasn't going to get a lot more playing opportunities so that probably hastened her departure. I believe her Dad was (is?) a coach and maybe she'd decided to venture into that aspect of the game. I'm just truly speculating because I don't think she spoke out about her reasons for leaving with her graduating class.

Reaction Score
Okay, here are the poll results to date.

Surprisingly, we don't all agree. :rolleyes:

BY_Poll_1.png

Reaction Score
Quite frankly I hope she stays for her fifth season. Then, instead of going pro, she takes on a coaching assistant position at UCONN and is groomed for when Geno retires. :)

Reaction Score
Really to early to have this debate, a lot of basketball left for these two before they have to make a decision... that said...

If Morgan continues to play the way she has this year and continues to improve the rest of the year and next year, she'll go pro with Breanna and Moriah... especially if they finish the task of going 4 for 4. 1,2,3 in the draft?

Natalie hasn't even played a game yet at UConn, no telling where her game will be in after playing two seasons.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really to early to have this debate, a lot of basketball left for these two before they have to make a decision... that said...

If Morgan continues to play the way she has this year and continues to improve the rest of the year and next year, she'll go pro with Breanna and Moriah... especially if they finish the task of going 4 for 4. 1,2,3 in the draft?

Natalie hasn't even played a game yet at UConn, no telling where her game will be in after playing two seasons.
1, 2, 3 in the draft rivals 1, 2, 4, and 6 in 2002. I think the recruiting class of 2012 may go down as the best ever. And there may not be a consensus on which of the trio is the best player.

Reaction Score
By all accounts, life at UConn is more enjoyable than life in the WNBA. I think most players would stay as long as possible (as Kalana Greene and even Caroline Doty did). I see regular stories about WNBA players who rarely see their teammates except for practice and games, who have to deal with a changing cast of teammates and coaches, who always travel on commercial flights (no Thanksgivings at a Florida resort with their parents, all expenses paid), and then face winters spent earning a living in some foreign country where they don't speak the language.

You want to put off the real world as long as possible, I would think.
Getting paid to play basketball in a foreign country?

Sounds good to me!

I loved being stationed in Germany for two years. The only bad part was having to be around GIs when I was on duty. :-P

Reaction Score
I dunno, the Heisman Trophy winner decided to return to college rather than go pro. Everyone has different priorities and making money isn't always first on the list.
In his case I'd say "Get it while it's hot!" or "Get it while you're hot!.

Reaction Score
It was Jones (redshirt sophomore with only 3 starts) that is going back to college not Mariota (Heisman trophy winner)... and it was a money decision. Jones was likely to be a minimum salary rookie if he went next pro next year (just not enough to judge how he would do at the next level). Min salary is project to be $510,000.00... which is a lot of money for normal working folks, but if he does as well or better for the entire year next year in college he could be drafted in the first half of the first round and would be looking at a $10,000,000.00 to $22,000,000.00 contract.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It was Jones (redshirt sophomore with only 3 starts) that is going back to college not Mariota (Heisman trophy winner)... and it was a money decision. Jones was likely to be a minimum salary rookie if he went next pro next year (just not enough to judge how he would do at the next level). Min salary is project to be $510,000.00... which is a lot of money for normal working folks, but if he does as well or better for the entire year next year in college he could be drafted in the first half of the first round and would be looking at a $10,000,000.00 to $22,000,000.00 contract.
But there's a chance he may not even start next year. He's got a 2 time B1G player of the year and the 5th place Heisman Trophy player to compete against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom