When will it happen again?....in search of an NFL caliber QB | The Boneyard

When will it happen again?....in search of an NFL caliber QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since 2006, there have been 82 QBs drafted from 67 schools.......when will it happen for UCONN again?

Alabama (2)
Alabama-Birmingham
Alabama State
Arizona
Arizona State
Arkansas
Auburn
Ball State
Baylor
Boston College
Bowling Green State
Brigham Young
Central Michigan
Clemson
Cincinnati
Coastal Carolina
Delaware
Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida State
Fordham
Fresno State
Furman
Georgia (2)
Hawaii
Houston
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas State
Kentucky
Louisiana State (2)
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State (2)
Missouri
Nevada-Reno (2)
North Carolina
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Notre Dame (2)
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State (2)
Oregon (2)
Oregon State
Purdue
Rutgers
Sam Houston State
San Diego
San Diego State (2)
Stanford (2)
Tennessee (2)
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Texas (2)
Texas A&M (2)
Texas Christian
Texas-El Paso
Toledo
Troy
USC (3)
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech
Washington
Washington State
West Texas A&M
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Reaction Score
Do you mean to tell me that we are not the only school without an NFL caliber QB on the field every season? I find this shocking.

Reaction Score
I am far more concerned about whether we get good, or at least average, QB play than whether our QB ends up being drafted by the NFL.

Reaction Score
Our last JC transfer QB won a Super Bowl with the Saints. But he wasn't drafted.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Since 2001, UConn has recruited exactly one QB that even flirted with mediocrity, and he was a pothead.

Under Pasqualoni, I do think that we will not see the trend that we had for 10 years where QB's seemed to get worse during their career at UConn.

Reaction Score
Since 2001, UConn has recruited exactly one QB that even flirted with mediocrity, and he was a pothead.

Under Pasqualoni, I do think that we will not see the trend that we had for 10 years where QB's seemed to get worse during their career at UConn.

Putting aside the second paragraph and coaching (because as we head for the season I personally will try harder to avoid getting dragged into crap about what is becoming ancient history), I think that is a little harsh. I think Zach over his career, not to be harsh but using your terms, flirted with mediocrity, especially as a junior. And I think Tyler in '07 was without question an average Big East QB, although there is also no question his throwing was better earlier in the year than later in it.

Being a mediocre QB is not just about throwing the ball. If it was, Johnny Mc would have flirted with mediocrity last year. It's about a lot of other things that are just as important in college, even if not in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Because of his running ability TL was at times better then an average QB. Who cares whether a QB gets it done on the ground or in the air, as long as he keeps the chains moving...

The 2008 season was wrecked when TL hurt his leg in the Carolina game.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the second paragraph and coaching (because as we head for the season I personally will try harder to avoid getting dragged into crap about what is becoming ancient history), I think that is a little harsh. I think Zach over his career, not to be harsh but using your terms, flirted with mediocrity, especially as a junior. And I think Tyler in '07 was without question an average Big East QB, although there is also no question his throwing was better earlier in the year than later in it.

Being a mediocre QB is not just about throwing the ball. If it was, Johnny Mc would have flirted with mediocrity last year. It's about a lot of other things that are just as important in college, even if not in the NFL.

Frazer was a lot better than mediocre during the 2nd half of the 2009 season. From the ND game right through the Pizza Bowl, that is by far my most favorite stretch of Husky football. I know that we went on a similar type of run to a BCS bowl the following year, but to me, 2009 was a funner ride all things (RIP Jazz) considered.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because of his running ability TL was at times better then an average QB. Who cares whether a QB gets it done on the ground or in the air, as long as he keeps the chains moving...

The 2008 season was wrecked when TL hurt his leg in the Carolina game.

TL was very good at misdirections and feints, which would give him an extra split second on play action. To this day, DJ was one of the worst starting QB's I have ever seen at hiding the play. It was like the defense was reading his mind. Both DJ and TL got worse over their career at UConn, as did every other QB. I expect McEntee to break that streak if he starts.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is on the small side for an NFL quarterback. I think he's 6 feet 190. But he can be a highly competent college quarterback and it will be a huge step forward. While its certainly nice to have a pro prospect at the position, I'm not sure that its critical. Just having a good college quarterback will be a huge step forward after last year. I always thought Lorenzen was pretty solid in his first season until he got hurt. later in the season and in his 2nd year he didn't have the same motion on his throws.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just want a QB that doesn't get held to 10 points by a Greg Robinson coached defense, two weeks before UMass lights that same defense up for 37 points.

Reaction Score
I just want a QB that doesn't get held to 10 points by a Greg Robinson coached defense, two weeks before UMass lights that same defense up for 37 points.

I really don't get your need to oversimplify things to justify your anger and hatred. Was the offense insufficient against UM? You bet. But Zach got held to 10 points? Really. Did Zach fumble inside the 5, or was that DJ Shoemate? Did Zach drop a ball he got two hands on at the goal line, or was that Michael Smith? Did Zach miss a makeable FG that took 3 off the board? Keep the offense off the field so much that the Michigan D was always fresh?

We sucked that day. And Zach was not good enough that day. But, among players and coaches both, not being good enough that day seemed to be the rule rather than the exception.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just want a QB that throws catchable balls to receivers and knows when to throw the ball away. I'll take anyone who averages 250-300 yrds a game and who makes the fans feel confident in them. If he goes onto the NFL, great, but I just want him to win games and keep the Defense honest and not stacking the box.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a QB with Frazer's arm, Tyler's feet, DJ's quickness, Orlovsky's poise, Cody's touch, and Bones's toughness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom