When was the last time UConn won on a buzzer beater? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When was the last time UConn won on a buzzer beater?

Reaction Score
I would trade four years of Adams for four years of Vital under Hurley. Vital thrived with intensity. Adams never gave me the those vibes.
I never quite got the love affair with Jalen Adams this board has. I like him because he's a Husky but he had maturity issues and never really showed the grit I was hoping for. Off of talent alone he looked like a pretty sure NBA player when he came into the program but talent only carries you so far. The focus never really seemed to be there and from what I heard he wasn't in love with putting in the extra effort in the gym that our other great players put in. I can't blame Ollie for that. I think Adams confounded Hurley a little in the time he had with him.

Vital's BBIQ was a bit lacking but he squeezed everything out of his talent and always played as hard as possible.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Did alterique have one or something close where he grilled the camera after? I was trying to find the game but couldn't.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Personally would’ve loved to see Adams in a better situation. He always had that ‘it’ factor when it came to that clutch gene so many UConn guards had with all the talent to go with it.

Seemed to be able to score at will.

Really thought after this he was going to be the next great guard. Mind you he hit a half court buzzer beater for the championship in HS too and now his freshman year he tells the best player in the team to inbound the ball to hit a 3/4 shot to tie the game. Then goes on to takeover the OT. He just had it.

Wish he could’ve not been put in such a bad situation (mostly because of injuries).

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Reaction Score
He wasn't the most talented, for sure, but he was one of the hardest workers UConn has ever seen.
It was sad they didn't give the seniors who missed the NCAAT an extra year like they did freshmen-juniors. He is the first UConn player to have stayed for four years since Cliff Robinson, Phil Gamble, & Jeff King and not played an NCAAT game.

Reaction Score
It was sad they didn't give the seniors who missed the NCAAT an extra year like they did freshmen-juniors. He is the first UConn player to have stayed for four years since Cliff Robinson, Phil Gamble, & Jeff King and not played an NCAAT game.
He played and won a NCAA tournament game . Then lost in the the second round to the overall 1 seed .
Who then lost to the eventual Champs Nova .
A better seed and bracket and that team was sweet sixteen or elite 8 . 2016 was the last UConn team to win a tournament game until last year.,
That team was AAC tournament champs
He kind of got screwed over his last 3 years with little talent , injuries , and desertions . His minutes played were off the charts
Although the team was short handed and not very good he had a great year his sophomore year .
His 196 assists is an incredible achievement in a year were he suffered a concussion, and an ankle sprain that he was forced to play on because it was six man team
That team included two freshman that he made look better than they were.
Even his undermanned junior year team was 5-0 and playing a 30 win MSU team even when Gilbert went down .
It’s pretty difficult to look good when your option 1-2-3-4-5
I Thought Hurley screwed up making Gilbert the lead guard and moving him to the two . I know Danny loved Gilbert who was a terrific player and kid. but very weak at finding teammates and finishing at the rim . That was by far Adams worst year . Third team all AAC for a guy who if he could defend better would be in the NBA and has played in the top Euro Leagues , was an awful way to go out .
Adams got screwed over because he had little talent around him
Wilth options like , Sanogo , Clingan , Hawkins , Jackson , Karaban , Spencer even Martin , Bouknight , Akok , and an experienced Vital , Carlton , Whaley
and Polley. he would have been awesome.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Personally would’ve loved to see Adams in a better situation. He always had that ‘it’ factor when it came to that clutch gene so many UConn guards had with all the talent to go with it.

Seemed to be able to score at will.

Really thought after this he was going to be the next great guard. Mind you he hit a half court buzzer beater for the championship in HS too and now his freshman year he tells the best player in the team to inbound the ball to hit a 3/4 shot to tie the game. Then goes on to takeover the OT. He just had it.

Wish he could’ve not been put in such a bad situation (mostly because of injuries).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He played and won a NCAA tournament game . Then lost in the the second round to the overall 1 seed .
A better seed and bracket and that team was sweet sixteen or elite 8 . 2016 was the last UConn team to win a tournament game until last year.,
He kind of got screwed over his last 3 years with little talent , injuries , and desertions . His minutes played were off the charts
Although the team was short handed and not very good he had a great year his sophomore year .
His 196 assists is an incredible achievement in a year were he suffered a concussion, and an ankle sprain that he was forced to play on because it was six man team
Even his undermanned junior year team was 5-0 and playing a 30 win MSU team even when Gilbert went down .
I Thought Hurley screwed up making Gilbert the lead guard and moving him to the two . I know Danny loved Gilbert who was a terrific player and kid. but very weak at finding teammates and finishing at the rim . That was by far Adams worst year . Third team all AAC for a guy who if he could defend better would be in the NBA and has played in the top Euro Leagues , was an awful way to go out .
Wilth options like , Sanogo , Clingan , Hawkins , Jackson , Karaban , Spencer even Martin , Bouknight , Akok , and an experienced Vital , Carlton , Whaley
Agree with everything you’re saying, but TA was talking about Vital here lol

Also, I completely blame Gibbs for that team not being as good as they were. He was horrible. Another year of Boatright and they may have been a championship squad.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I never quite got the love affair with Jalen Adams this board has. I like him because he's a Husky but he had maturity issues and never really showed the grit I was hoping for. Off of talent alone he looked like a pretty sure NBA player when he came into the program but talent only carries you so far. The focus never really seemed to be there and from what I heard he wasn't in love with putting in the extra effort in the gym that our other great players put in. I can't blame Ollie for that. I think Adams confounded Hurley a little in the time he had with him.

Vital's BBIQ was a bit lacking but he squeezed everything out of his talent and always played as hard as possible.

We'll just never know about Jalen because so much damage was done by the time Hurley arrived. I'd like to think this coaching staff would have gotten the most out of him.

When your team's coach doesn't put in extra effort, you can't blame kids for following his lead. Kudos to the kids who take it upon themselves to go the extra mile. But a fish rots from the head down.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His coach was a low simmering prima donna.
Ask JA and CV how they feel about the low simmering prima donna

Reaction Score
I really like Adams and think he could have had a great career here. Even with what it was, it was a solid one.

But I meant Christian Vital, who came in after 2017 and had far less talent until that 2020 team that might have actually made the NCAAs: they were 19-12, won their first AAC tournament game, had just beaten a very good Houston team, etc. They had a puncher's chance to win that and sneak in.

Oh well.

Reaction Score

I think it's more the raw materials the right coaching staff would have to work with. He came into college with the reputation as a consummate winner, big game player, etc. For me he's the ultimate "what if he played for Hurley from day one" type kid. A lot of bad habits are tough to break when you've been allowed to do whatever you want on campus for a couple years.

Reaction Score

It's actually a great hypothetical question.

Did Jalen Adams slack off and fail to develop because he got absentee coaching (to put it generously)? Would Hurley have gotten him to take the game seriously and develop as a leader?

Or was he just innately unmotivated and uninterested and would have been a headcase under 4 years of Hurley too?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Serious question, what did the people who have issues with how JA played expect from him during those years post freshman season?

Reaction Score
I imagine the OP and others are classifying things like that as "game-winning basket" but not a buzzer beater, since that shot did not leave his hand before the buzzer and go in the hoop after the buzzer. On top of that, Nova had a full-court possession afterwards.
Correct, I was asking about a strict buzzer beater per your definition. I got my answer and a lot of cool bonus information. Thanks everyone!

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic with the OPs question, but in terms of the top 3 best UConn buzzer beaters of all time, it’s gotta be:

1. Tate’s vs. Clemson during the dream season NCAA tourney 1990
2. Kemba vs. Pitt BET 2011
3. Rip vs. Washington NCAA tourney 1998

So many other good ones though….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member