When is out of bounds not out of bounds? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When is out of bounds not out of bounds?

Reaction Score
Thanks. That explains it -- but it doesn't make sense. Shouldn't there be people watching the championship game and letting the officials know when someone was out of bounds in the last minute of the game?

As far as Gonzaga's "extra possession," the shooter was fouled. So it was basically a wash. Maybe they got an extra point out of it.
But they would not be reviewing if its a jump ball but a person being out of bounds. I don't question your right about the rules, but that seems crazy. A guy could be standing on the baseline, tie someone up, and if they dont call the out of bounds, its a tie-up? That seems exactly the type of thing they should be reviewing.
You're both right that it doesn't make sense, but that's the rule. The reviewability of a play, as I understand it, is based on what the officials called at the time it happened. So yes, they can't review a play for out of bounds possession if the call on the court was a jump ball where no player was called out of bounds.

@4in16 yes, it appeared the UNC player got a piece of the arm, but it would've been pretty ticky-tack. The only point I was making there is there we very, very bad calls going both directions down the stretch. NWG also traveled on the final blocked shot by Meeks. When he spun his pivot foot clearly dragged a good 6 inches and wasn't whistled.

@superjohn that 4th foul on Collins was AWFUL. As was the flagrant 1 on Karnowski that was his fourth. These officials should never work a tournament game again.

Reaction Score
What was crazy is that I really didn't notice the refs all that much in the first half. They came out calling everything from the start of the second half. It was really bizarre. Both teams had a lot of fouls, but Gonzaga was always just ahead in the foul count, particularly in the front court. Collins starting getting in a rhythm and then he was gone with 5 minutes left, just like that.

Reaction Score
Just because gonzaga had fould trouble in the front court doesn't mean they were getting the short end of the stick on fouls. Both teams had 22 fouls and Gonzaga entered the bonus and double-bonus before UNC in the second half. I can remember at least 2 times down under the basket when Karnowski travelled/changed his pivot foot, and they weren't called. The refs weren't very good at all, but they didn't tip the game one way or the other.

Reaction Score
That 2 points Perkins gave UNC right out of halftime wound up looming YUGE!

Reaction Score
Did Collins shove his forearm into the UNC players neck? Maybe he did and that was the call?
I don't see it at all. That's a pretty common and legal positional clear out play.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
What was crazy is that I really didn't notice the refs all that much in the first half. They came out calling everything from the start of the second half. It was really bizarre. Both teams had a lot of fouls, but Gonzaga was always just ahead in the foul count, particularly in the front court. Collins starting getting in a rhythm and then he was gone with 5 minutes left, just like that.

This x1000! It was like watching 2 completely different games between halves. The game flow was good and the refs were largely non-existent in the first half then all of a sudden it was whistle after whistle in the first 2 minutes of the second. It was almost like the refs had a powwow themselves at half that said we need to make sure we get mentioned in this game so let's make ourselves the focal point of the second half.

Can't blame the officiating overall for the loss when Williams-Goss misses 4 FTs when he's a 90% shooter and Karnowski goes 1/8 on a lot of bunnies, but not letting the best players for both teams be involved in the final outcome is really a travesty.

Reaction Score
Same time a school that funnels athletes in to fake classes within an essentially fake major curriculum isn't committing academic fraud designed to illegally benefit their athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom