When does Olympic team get announced? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When does Olympic team get announced?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know I was pooh-poohing adding Ionescu based on her limited WNBA battle testing, but after a few games and the earliest triple-double in WNBA history (by like 100 games, no less...), I'd definitely add her. She brings hype, fans, Sportscenter Plays of the Day, and fills a genuine need at the 1. And we need to start building the next generation of PGs now.

Reaction Score
I know I was pooh-poohing adding Ionescu based on her limited WNBA battle testing, but after a few games and the earliest triple-double in WNBA history (by like 100 games, no less...), I'd definitely add her. She brings hype, fans, Sportscenter Plays of the Day, and fills a genuine need at the 1. And we need to start building the next generation of PGs now.
The Olympic roster usually has an exciting young player on the roster, even if they don' t play a lot, see Stewie in 2016.
Sabrina will be that player, the only guard outside of Sue who isn' t shoot first guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing with Ionescu is that she’s not been to any of the training sessions with this team in the 2 year period that they have had them. They just had a couple of other sessions, in Columbia and in San Antonio, this spring. If she Was going to get a shot at being on this team I would think that would have been the time to look at her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
US National Team already screwed up getting Vandersloot being involved in the program, they can't do it again w/ Ionescu.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
US National Team already screwed up getting Vandersloot being involved in the program, they can't do it again w/ Ionescu.
How is it a screw-up? USA BB has done pretty well without CVS and will do just fine going forward I suspect.

Also, more to this story than what is posted on message boards.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How is it a screw-up? USA BB has done pretty well without CVS and will do just fine going forward I suspect.

Also, more to this story than what is posted on message boards.
Because she's been the best PG in the WNBA for several years and she competes internationally for another country?

I know the position has been locked down for about 2 decades, but they absolutely need to get Sabrina in the program now that there is going to be a changing of the guard soon.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Because she's been the best PG in the WNBA for several years and she competes internationally for another country?

I know the position has been locked down for about 2 decades, but they absolutely need to get Sabrina in the program now that there is going to be a changing of the guard soon.
Oh come on. She "competes" for a country (Hungary) that hasn't played in a major international championship since the 1998 World Cup. Hungary's last Olympic appearance was 1980. Vandersloot made that decision for financial reasons. I'm not faulting her but her decision was not USA Basketball screwing up. Vandersloot made the decision to play for Hungary when she was 28 years old. Lindsay Whalen was 28 years old when she made her first appearance for Team USA.

If Ionescu does not make the Olympic team she will likely be on the World Cup team in 2022.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If Ionescu does not make the Olympic team she will likely be on the World Cup team in 2022.
I know the position has been locked down for about 2 decades, but they absolutely need to get Sabrina in the program now that there is going to be a changing of the guard soon.e

So, the Olympics were supposed to take place in 2020 and they were postponed. Sabrina Ionescu couldn't of played then due to injury. Since then she's come back very nicely in the beginning of the WNBA season. Yet everyone wants to have her inserted onto the team when there have been players who have dropped whatever they're doing to join a tour here, or a tourney there. And, no, not all of these are "older" players, but ones who have steadfastly kept plugging away to have a chance.

As Cat points out, the World Cup pops up very quickly and Ionescu will get a chance with other young point guards for slots on that team. Of course, she could be selected for this one, but I won't consider it a supreme injustice or setback if she waits one more year.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Cat points out, the World Cup pops up very quickly and Ionescu will get a chance to compete for a slot with other young point guards for slots on that team. Of course, she could be selected for this one, but but I won't consider it a supreme injustice or setback if she waits one more year.
That's my thinking as well.

Reaction Score

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. health officials and the State Department on Monday warned Americans against travel to Japan because of a surge in coronavirus cases in the country, which is preparing to host the Olympics in just two months.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I would put Sabrina Ionescu on the Olympic team because she's really good at basketball. I know she's not in the national team pool and she has more chances in the future, etc. I just think she's really good and gives you a bit of positional versality because she can also play off-ball.

Maybe I'm overreacting to her just beating my Sky but I think I'd rather have Ionescu than Diggins-Smith or McBride...and I mean consider the source on that comment.

I can't fathom Collier not making it. She's just too good. So using Cat's roster as a starting point:

Bird
Taurasi
Gray
Ionescu
Loyd
EDD (if healthy)/Ogwumike (if EDD not healthy)
Wilson
Fowles
Charles
Collier
Stewart
Griner

Normally, I would be all over the "dump Charles" train but she has shown so far this year that she's still got something left in the tank. Just tell her to stop taking long 2s!

Reaction Score
I would put Sabrina Ionescu on the Olympic team because she's really good at basketball. I know she's not in the national team pool and she has more chances in the future, etc. I just think she's really good and gives you a bit of positional versality because she can also play off-ball.

Maybe I'm overreacting to her just beating my Sky but I think I'd rather have Ionescu than Diggins-Smith or McBride...and I mean consider the source on that comment.

I can't fathom Collier not making it. She's just too good. So using Cat's roster as a starting point:

Bird
Taurasi
Gray
Ionescu
Loyd
EDD (if healthy)/Ogwumike (if EDD not healthy)
Wilson
Fowles
Charles
Collier
Stewart
Griner

Normally, I would be all over the "dump Charles" train but she has shown so far this year that she's still got something left in the tank. Just tell her to stop taking long 2s!
At the present time would pass on EDD this year, with her back problems. A long flight to Japan would probably aggravate her back problems, it's not a risk worth taking. Nneka is healthy so put her on the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At the present time would pass on EDD this year, with her back problems. A long flight to Japan would probably aggravate her back problems, it's not a risk worth taking. Nneka is healthy so put her on the team.

With the situation in Japan with COVID and the lack of vaccinations , we might as well get it into our heads that the Olympics may very easily be cancelled. Maybe the US will find some way of hosting a "replacement" games.

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. health officials and the State Department on Monday warned Americans against travel to Japan because of a surge in coronavirus cases in the country, which is preparing to host the Olympics in just two months.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
With Taurasi's injury, who knows if she's even going to be ready to play again by then. Four to six weeks of not playing is a long time. If it's best-case scenario and she returns in late June, I think she'll be ready. If she doesn't return until almost mid-July, though?

Reaction Score
Bird/Ionescu/Canada
Ogunbowale/Loyd/Gray
Stewart/Collier
Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

ogwumike to miss out, most other teams have little post depth.

Reaction Score
I’ll update my predictions based on injury and WNBA play to date.

Bird/Ionescu/Gray
Loyd/Diggins Smith
Stewart/Collier
Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

If healthy, Taurasi replaces either Gray or Diggins-Smith. If healthy, EDD replaces either Ogwumike or Collier.

I know I have a lot of pgs, but Diggins-Smith and Ionescu can both play off the ball. Not much depth at the 2 guard, and I don’t think a player like Ogwunbowale fits the team USA mold. Also a bit thin on the wing, as I believe Stewart is best at the 4 spot. But EDD, Stewart, and Collier are all mobile and can hit the 3.

Reaction Score
I’ll update my predictions based on injury and WNBA play to date.

Bird/Ionescu/Gray
Loyd/Diggins Smith
Stewart/Collier
Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

If healthy, Taurasi replaces either Gray or Diggins-Smith. If healthy, EDD replaces either Ogwumike or Collier.

I know I have a lot of pgs, but Diggins-Smith and Ionescu can both play off the ball. Not much depth at the 2 guard, and I don’t think a player like Ogwunbowale fits the team USA mold. Also a bit thin on the wing, as I believe Stewart is best at the 4 spot. But EDD, Stewart, and Collier are all mobile and can hit the 3.
are you calling ogwunbowale a 4

Reaction Score
Now 6.5 weeks from the opening games, so I return to my OG question: when does the team get announced?

The 2016 team was announced in April, nearly 12 weeks ahead.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Now 6.5 weeks from the opening games, so I return to my OG question: when does the team get announced?

The 2016 team was announced in April, nearly 12 weeks ahead.
I think with Diana's injury they will continue to push it out to see where she is with her recovery.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think with Diana's injury they will continue to push it .out to see where she is with her recovery.

I'm under the impression that the Selection Committee is going to focus primarily on players who have been associated with the team the last few years. As we get closer and closer to the games, I'm even more convinced of it.

You might see a player taken from outside that group (Sabrina?), but I'll bet a lot of FIBA tape and current WNBA game film is being scoured on those players that have done time with the USA.

Diana's situation is one of the considerations that is under (final) review, as is EDD and other injuries.

Reaction Score
I'm under the impression that the Selection Committee is going to focus primarily on players who have been associated with the team the last few years.

That's always the case isn't it? They want to reward the players who have done the work, helped the team qualify etc.

Reaction Score
Here’s who Team USA has in the current team pool.
Ariel Atkins (great start on WNBA season)
Sue Bird (great start on WNBA season)
Jordin Canada (not so great start on WNBA season)
Tina Charles (great start on WNBA season)
Layshia Clarendon (cut by NYL, picked up by MIN)
Napheesa Collier (hasn’t played much but looking good)
Kahleah Copper (great start on WNBA season)
Elena Delle Donne (out whole season with back issues)
Diamond DeShields (not so great start on WNBA season)
Skylar Diggins-Smith (great start on WNBA season)
Stefanie Dolson (3x3 team)
Sylvia Fowles (great start on WNBA season)
Allisha Gray (3x3 team)
Chelsea Gray (great start on WNBA season)
Brittney Griner (great start on WNBA season)
Tiffany Hayes (great start on WNBA season)
Jewell Loyd (great start on WNBA season)
Kayla McBride (so-so start on WNBA season)
Kelsey Mitchell (so-so start on WNBA season)
Tiffany Mitchell (not so great start on WNBA season)
Arike Ogunbowale (great start on WNBA season)
Nnemkadi Ogwumike (more health issues)
Kelsey Plum (3x3 team)
Katie Lou Samuelson (3x3 team)
Breanna Stewart (great start on WNBA season)
Diana Taurasi (more health issues)
Sydney Wiese (health issues)
A'ja Wilson (great start on WNBA season)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom