When does Olympic team get announced? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When does Olympic team get announced?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's always the case isn't it? They want to reward the players who have done the work, helped the team qualify etc.
Now 6.5 weeks from the opening games, so I return to my OG question: when does the team get announced?

It could be kind of a "Capt. Obvious" statement, but given your point that the clock's tickin' (6.5 weeks out), it seems even more of a given. Go with what you know. Think @Shades rundown of the pool is a good place to go.

Reactions: mmt

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA Basketball will host training camps and exhibition games for Men's and Women's teams in July. The WNT will begin camp on July 12 after the WNBA shuts down for the Olympic break. Team USA will play exhibition games against Australia and Nigeria.

The final roster for the women could be announced before the beginning of camp or after camp and the exhibition games. Either way the roster will be trimmed before camp.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Here’s who Team USA has in the current team pool.
Ariel Atkins (great start on WNBA season)
Sue Bird (great start on WNBA season)
Jordin Canada (not so great start on WNBA season)
Tina Charles (great start on WNBA season)
Layshia Clarendon (cut by NYL, picked up by MIN)
Napheesa Collier (hasn’t played much but looking good)
Kahleah Copper (great start on WNBA season)
Elena Delle Donne (out whole season with back issues)
Diamond DeShields (not so great start on WNBA season)
Skylar Diggins-Smith (great start on WNBA season)
Stefanie Dolson (3x3 team)
Sylvia Fowles (great start on WNBA season)
Allisha Gray (3x3 team)
Chelsea Gray (great start on WNBA season)
Brittney Griner (great start on WNBA season)
Tiffany Hayes (great start on WNBA season)
Jewell Loyd (great start on WNBA season)
Kayla McBride (so-so start on WNBA season)
Kelsey Mitchell (so-so start on WNBA season)
Tiffany Mitchell (not so great start on WNBA season)
Arike Ogunbowale (great start on WNBA season)
Nnemkadi Ogwumike (more health issues)
Kelsey Plum (3x3 team)
Katie Lou Samuelson (3x3 team)
Breanna Stewart (great start on WNBA season)
Diana Taurasi (more health issues)
Sydney Wiese (health issues)
A'ja Wilson (great start on WNBA season)

A big question might be who is healthy enough to join the team? That would affect Taurasi, Ogwumike, and EDD. And Ionescu if she's up for consideration.

If looking at post players, Fowles/Griner/Charles/Wilson are all having terrific seasons, and I would think are shoe-ins for the team. As is Stewart.

Bird and Gray are the two best PGs in the league right now. Loyd and Diggins-Smith have looked terrific.

I think Collier should make it; Atkins IMO has earned it based on her WNBA season thus far (and she's also a terrific defender). But I'd be surprised if she made the cut--she has an outside chance if Taurasi, Nnkeka, EDD all can't go.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A big question might be who is healthy enough to join the team? That would affect Taurasi, Ogwumike, and EDD. And Ionescu if she's up for consideration.

Bird and Gray are the two best PGs in the league right now. Loyd and Diggins-Smith have looked terrific.

I think Collier should make it; Atkins IMO has earned it based on her WNBA season thus far (and she's also a terrific defender). But I'd be surprised if she made the cut--she has an outside chance if Taurasi, Nnkeka, EDD all can't go.
Like your reasoning. Following along, I have two other names from this list that might in consideration with Atkins for those two last spots (I think Collier is a must):
  • Kahleah Copper
  • Tiffany Hayes

Both are fast and are aggressive, both offensively and defensively (Copper is a Rutgers graduate so it's in her DNA). Coach Staley loves aggressiveness and even though she does not pick the players, I'll be she can convey her prototype.

Copper is a tweener and that would help round out the roster. And I think Hayes, with her surgical, speedy strikes to the hoop would be great. Arike O. does that, too, but Hayes doesn't need the ball like Arike.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Atkins/Hayes/Copper would all be solid 12th man picks; Atkins and Hayes are having better shooting seasons than Copper; Copper is probably the most athletic and she's the tallest of the three; Hayes the quickest. All three are very good defenders.

Reaction Score

If looking at post players, Fowles/Griner/Charles/Wilson are all having terrific seasons, and I would think are shoe-ins for the team. As is Stewart.

The players That should be locks, Bird, Charles, Collier, Skyler, Fowles, Griner, Loyd, Stewart, Wilson. 3 others if Healthy, Taurasi, EDD, Nneka. If not Gray, Deshields, and find a forward to replace Nneka.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The players That should be locks, Bird, Charles, Collier, Skyler, Fowles, Griner, Loyd, Stewart, Wilson. 3 others if Healthy, Taurasi, EDD, Nneka. If not Gray, Deshields, and find a forward to replace Nneka.
Gray is on the 3x3 team. Deshields, despite all her talent, has been less than impressive this year.

Reaction Score
I wish they can break the record to add Paige in the Olympic team.

Reaction Score
Team announced this morning. See the thread on the main UConn WBB forum.
UConn with 5 of the 12 players.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Ended up guessing right with the Atkins selection. She’s having an amazing season and shooting 45% from 3.

I would take Collier over Nneka but it still stinks for her. She was left off the 2016 team and then promptly won MVP. If she hadn’t gotten injured she may have been selected over Collier or Atkins and no one would have complained, but as others have said, the glut at the 4 spot is insane.

Without Maya/Angel/Catchings there is no pure 3 as others have mentioned, but there’s also not a great SF in the W right now. I’d argue Laney is best 3 in the league but she wasn’t in the pool (understandable since she is quite a late bloomer)

Reaction Score
Taurasi has a mri Tuesday and if shows clear she may play Sunday report on espn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom