When does an official decision get made on Mamadou? | The Boneyard

When does an official decision get made on Mamadou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will he play this year? Is he healthy or is basketball not an option? We know he has chronic problems with his knee. There are any number of consequences to his health situation and how it handled. But none of them are meaningful until a decision is made. Is there a time table for this decision?

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a timetable. Hurley said Mamadou would be home with his family considering what to do, and back on campus June 3. After he's back on campus they'll mutually come to a decision.

Reaction Score
Whatever they decide I don’t want there to be bad blood. We have another recruitment going on with his brother Hassan so it is possible the outcome of this may have a big impact on that. I have nothing but the best wishes for Mamadou. I was a massive fan of his when he was in high school at PSA. He played with lots of explosiveness on the break and a great rebounder. It is extremely unfortunate for him to go through these knee injuries with his size and talent. Hopefully everything works out for him and his family. Hes a really good dude!

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a timetable. Hurley said Mamadou would be home with his family considering what to do, and back on campus June 3. After he's back on campus they'll mutually come to a decision.
Thanks. That would mean -potentially- next week.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is all we know at the moment. But if Hurley is mentioning this isn't the decision already made?

UConn’s 12 scholarships are filled at the moment, but there is a chance another could open up if Mamadou Diarra, beset by chronic knee problems, moves to a different role.

“Mamadou is a valued member of the program,” Hurley said, “a valued member. We have a ton of respect for Mo. He’s home for break right now, he’ll be back for Summer I (on June 3) and we’ll kind of go from there.”

Although UConn is at its scholarship allotment of 12 (the program docked itself a scholarship for violations under Kevin Ollie’s tenure), it is still recruiting for one more spot. Nothing’s official about how that final scholarship will open up, but it appears Mamadou Diarra’s basketball career may be over. The 6-7 power forward has been beset by chronic knee problems since high school and played in just two games last season.

“It’s been a tough couple of years for Mamadou,” Hurley said. “He’s a warrior and a winner and a guy that wants to get out on the court, but he’s been just besieged by difficult injury stuff that very few players have to deal with — before he got to UConn, and pretty much since he’s been here.”

Diarra is home for break now and will return to campus for the start of summer classes, at which time some decisions will be made.

“Mo’s a valued member of the program, and we have a lot of respect for Mo,” Hurley said.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes, this is all we know at the moment. But if Hurley is mentioning this isn't the decision already made?

UConn’s 12 scholarships are filled at the moment, but there is a chance another could open up if Mamadou Diarra, beset by chronic knee problems, moves to a different role.

“Mamadou is a valued member of the program,” Hurley said, “a valued member. We have a ton of respect for Mo. He’s home for break right now, he’ll be back for Summer I (on June 3) and we’ll kind of go from there.”

Although UConn is at its scholarship allotment of 12 (the program docked itself a scholarship for violations under Kevin Ollie’s tenure), it is still recruiting for one more spot. Nothing’s official about how that final scholarship will open up, but it appears Mamadou Diarra’s basketball career may be over. The 6-7 power forward has been beset by chronic knee problems since high school and played in just two games last season.

“It’s been a tough couple of years for Mamadou,” Hurley said. “He’s a warrior and a winner and a guy that wants to get out on the court, but he’s been just besieged by difficult injury stuff that very few players have to deal with — before he got to UConn, and pretty much since he’s been here.”

Diarra is home for break now and will return to campus for the start of summer classes, at which time some decisions will be made.

“Mo’s a valued member of the program, and we have a lot of respect for Mo,” Hurley said.

... “and we really want to sign his brother”

Reaction Score
It’s funny that some posters still defend the previous staff with regard to Mamadou. Hurley has repeatedly said his knee issues go back to high school, and now used the word chronic. I feel bad for the kid though, his motor and skill set could have provided a lot the past few years.

Reaction Score
That was actually pretty fast.

Reaction Score
Whatever they decide I don’t want there to be bad blood. We have another recruitment going on with his brother Hassan so it is possible the outcome of this may have a big impact on that. I have nothing but the best wishes for Mamadou. I was a massive fan of his when he was in high school at PSA. He played with lots of explosiveness on the break and a great rebounder. It is extremely unfortunate for him to go through these knee injuries with his size and talent. Hopefully everything works out for him and his family. Hes a really good dude!

Agree. The only way I’m okay with taking him off athletic scholarship is if he’s physically unable to play.

C

Chief00

Havent offered. This is Mo's choice for his future. Hurley doesn't force players out regardless of who they're related to
I agree, although I may not agree with that approach. As in business, sometimes people get complacent or are not a good fit for a variety of legitimate reasons - then it’s usually best to have a frank discussion. Often it benefits everyone but some push is often needed.

Reaction Score
Agree. The only way I’m okay with taking him off athletic scholarship is if he’s physically unable to play.

The ultimate question is if he can or can’t play. Even if it’s for 0-5 minutes per game... I can see Mamadou being productive. If he simply can’t play, period, then not sure if it’s worth it for everyone. We shall see. I have a feeling the ball is in his court to make the decision with his doctor and parents.

Reaction Score
The ultimate question is if he can or can’t play. Even if it’s for 0-5 minutes per game... I can see Mamadou being productive. If he simply can’t play, period, then not sure if it’s worth it for everyone. We shall see. I have a feeling the ball is in his court to make the decision with his doctor and parents.

Yep, exactly. If he's able to be on the court for any number of minutes for every game, I'm totally fine with him staying on scholarship. He's a great kid, works his butt off, he's tough, and I can assure you he's good enough to play at this level. But at the same time, if he's unable to play at all it truly is not worth eating up a scholarship..I'd be confident the school could find a non-athletic scholarship for him.

Reaction Score
A few of these posts give Mo a little too much agency in all this. The medical reports are what they are. The staff will help him process a decision, assure him that he’s still a part of the team, and carve out a good role for him, with compensation. There are enough alumni who have come through the program and have used it to be successful off the court to provide him with advice and a blueprint of how his life looks without playing. It does kind of suck, people want to do what they love. But, every athlete has his or her last day on the court or field some time.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, great kid and tough as hell. He showed some promise his freshman year when he was able to grab some minutes so there was hope. But he played in a game this year for 2-3 minutes, had some decent play during the short stint and was active. The fact we didn't see him again led me to believe he woke up the next day and could hardly move. Only assuming mind you, but the kid I saw for those few minutes could have helped us if he was actually able to stay healthy but we didn't see him again. Hope they figure something out that works for both but in the end it has to work for Mamadou and his financial situation UConn owes him that.

C

Chief00

I am sympathic and not critical of our approach. One observation though, while other schools are paying 5 to 6 figures for a player - are there realistic limits to being ethical beyond what is required? It may be who we are but that doesn’t mean it also doesn’t have a competitive cost.

Reaction Score
I am sympathic and not critical of our approach. One observation though, while other schools are paying 5 to 6 figures for a player - are there realistic limits to being ethical beyond what is required? It may be who we are but that doesn’t mean it also doesn’t have a competitive cost.
The answer to your question is yes, there are limits.

Reaction Score
He made a commitment to UConn and UConn made a consideration to him and that’s the primary criteria of any ethical debate. If he isn’t going to class or putting in the work to recovery that is one thing but let’s not pretend as fans that he should be unscrupulously pushed aside because we want an NCAA bid or more depth on the front court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom