When do College Sports Become Irrelevent? | The Boneyard

When do College Sports Become Irrelevent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have to take a step back from everything for a minute and ask this question because I really see this happening in the next 10-15 years. What has really driven college sports before all this money hoopla? Rivalries. College sports has always been about passion from fan bases and their hatred for other specific universities. With all these new conference moves that aspect has been basically removed from college sports. At what point does college football/basketball become as irrelevant as the NHL? (Sorry hockey fans)

They showed a graphic during the WVU-OK St game where they described what a fan for WVU would need to do to get to the game. It was something like an hour drive to Pittsburgh, a 3 hour flight to either Tulsa or OK City and then another 1-2 hour drive to Stillwater. At what point do fans just not care enough to blow that kind of cash and time? Another WVU example, the stadium had a half full upper deck on one sideline for a National TV game against #12 Oklahoma.

I know a lot of money has been invested into these conferences and sports but that money is going to dry up at some point, no? Fans are going to stop being interested when you are playing obscure teams that you have no history with. Look at what we may be potentially looking at if we don't go to the ACC. Who are we supposed to get excited with? UMass? Temple?

This level of sport that a lot of people used to love is quickly escaping a lot of fan bases. There will be whiplash at some point. I just wonder when....what is the tipping point? Some places will always follow because there aren't any pro teams but for most of the country, the interest will wane.

Reaction Score
When superconferences are completed and they seperate from the NCAA, all will be fine and dandy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that conference realignment will harm college athletics in the long run because it's local rivalries that drive interest. That is the stupidest part of the NNBE concept. There can't be rivalries with that geography.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think that there's a lot more interest in football (pro and college) than in most other sports.... enough to keep things broadly popular, though it will change locally with the landscape. Attendance will be a challenge in places, much like it is in the NFL - the at home product is really good and way more affordable.

Reaction Score
I think that there's a lot more interest in football (pro and college) than in most other sports.... enough to keep things broadly popular, though it will change locally with the landscape. Attendance will be a challenge in places, much like it is in the NFL - the at home product is really good and way more affordable.
The Gators and Seminoles outdraw the Bucs, Dolphins and Jaguars. Jaguars have the highest attendance in Florida out of the NFL teams there.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The Gators and Seminoles outdraw the Bucs, Dolphins and Jaguars. Jaguars have the highest attendance in Florida out of the NFL teams there.

And this is repeated all over the country, especially in states that don't have pro teams.

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I've thought about not investing (financially or emotionally) in college sports anymore even if UConn finds a soft landing spot. At some point fans are going to get really tired of being treated like pawns in a chess match.

Reaction Score
I have to take a step back from everything for a minute and ask this question because I really see this happening in the next 10-15 years. What has really driven college sports before all this money hoopla? Rivalries. College sports has always been about passion from fan bases and their hatred for other specific universities. With all these new conference moves that aspect has been basically removed from college sports. At what point does college football/basketball become as irrelevant as the NHL? (Sorry hockey fans)

They showed a graphic during the WVU-OK St game where they described what a fan for WVU would need to do to get to the game. It was something like an hour drive to Pittsburgh, a 3 hour flight to either Tulsa or OK City and then another 1-2 hour drive to Stillwater. At what point do fans just not care enough to blow that kind of cash and time? Another WVU example, the stadium had a half full upper deck on one sideline for a National TV game against #12 Oklahoma.

I know a lot of money has been invested into these conferences and sports but that money is going to dry up at some point, no? Fans are going to stop being interested when you are playing obscure teams that you have no history with. Look at what we may be potentially looking at if we don't go to the ACC. Who are we supposed to get excited with? UMass? Temple?

This level of sport that a lot of people used to love is quickly escaping a lot of fan bases. There will be whiplash at some point. I just wonder when....what is the tipping point? Some places will always follow because there aren't any pro teams but for most of the country, the interest will wane.

It is hard to see how we're not watching a bubble ready to break. Which network will go belly up when rights fees crash?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is hard to see how we're not watching a bubble ready to break. Which network will go belly up when rights fees crash?

Maybe, but based on the MLB bidding there are multiple media properties who don't see it happening soon. Their demographics are upside down and shrinking and they got a huge payday.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but based on the MLB bidding there are multiple media properties who don't see it happening soon. Their demographics are upside down and shrinking and they got a huge payday.

Of course, there has never been a bubble where those who are blowing it up do see it bursting soon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course, there has never been a bubble where those who are blowing it up do see it bursting soon.

Yes I know that's the response, but since it's sports propping up cable - it would have to be cable TV that collapses to pop the bubble. I guess that could happen in a decade but it seems unrealistic and would mean that people are willing to lose all the quality television content because it can't be sustained without cable access money.

Maybe we are headed towards a future where people can be entertained by amateur YouTube content - but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
Yes I know that's the response, but since it's sports propping up cable - it would have to be cable TV that collapses to pop the bubble. I guess that could happen in a decade but it seems unrealistic and would mean that people are willing to lose all the quality television content because it can't be sustained without cable access money.

Maybe we are headed towards a future where people can be entertained by amateur YouTube content - but I'll believe it when I see it.

People here quote anonymous blogs when the NY Times and Washington Post and LA Times are available online.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People here quote anonymous blogs when the NY Times and Washington Post and LA Times are available online.

Well that is because they are fishing for the opinion they want to validate their own.

That doesn't mean people won't realize that Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than the 42nd parody of Call Me Maybe.

I guess cable could go the way of newspapers and if enough people walk away the business models collapses on itself - but turning 39 today I have a feeling I'll outlive it.

Reaction Score
Happy birthday, old man! (I am only a little more than half a year younger.)

Reaction Score
Well that is because they are fishing for the opinion they want to validate their own.

That doesn't mean people won't realize that Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than the 42nd parody of Call Me Maybe.

I guess cable could go the way of newspapers and if enough people walk away the business models collapses on itself - but turning 39 today I have a feeling I'll outlive it.

I am not implying that I think cable tv is going away. Just that some cable networks will because they have long term contracts that, if the market bursts, will bankrupt them.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
The current model of overpriced cable packages cluttered with filler is not going to last forever, and if there is demand for quality shows the funding will find its way to them without the need for giant telecom middlemen. Eventually, cable companies that don't offer a la carte packages will go away. The Internet devoured the bloated record industry, and the same thing will happen to cable tv...probably sooner than you think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am not implying that I think cable tv is going away. Just that some cable networks will because they have long term contracts that, if the market bursts, will bankrupt them.

Which ones?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The current model of overpriced cable packages cluttered with filler is not going to last forever, and if there is demand for quality shows the funding will find its way to them without the need for giant telecom middlemen. Eventually, cable companies that don't offer a la carte packages will go away. The Internet devoured the bloated record industry, and the same thing will happen to cable tv...probably sooner than you think.

Music is the perfect example of how it doesn't work. There are 10 artists who can make money selling records.

Another 30 who sell enough t shirts on tour to eat.

The rest are dying and there is a much lower threshold to produce music than television.

A la carte would be the death of television as we know it. I will never understand why people wish for the death of cable and newspapers.

Shows like Breaking Bad exist because there are 100 million subscribers paying a monthly fee. If the few million that watch AMC had to pay 30 times more directly it would go away.

It's pretty simple. A la carte cable would cost more and give fewer options. That seems like a stange thing to wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom