What's up with Paige and NIL? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's up with Paige and NIL?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there are few female athletes in any sport at any level getting advertising deals. The college level players are competing with pro athletes, most of whom have greater name recognition. Paige has a significant number of followers but outside of the relatively small women's basketball community, she is an unknown. Predict that comparatively she will do well, but the windfall some are predicting may take time to develop.
Don’t know what you consider a windfall to be, but here’s a few women athletes who appear to be doing quite well for themselves with the estimated value of their endorsement deals:

• Katie Ledecky - swimming - $3 million
  • Simone Biles - gymnastics- $5 million
  • Athing Mu - track & field - $2 million

Surely Paige, the most well known player in WBB, is worth a paltry million dollars or so.

Reaction Score
Don’t know what you consider a windfall to be, but here’s a few women athletes who appear to be doing quite well for themselves with the estimated value of their endorsement deals:

• Katie Ledecky - swimming - $3 million
  • Simone Biles - gymnastics- $5 million
  • Athing Mu - track & field - $2 million

Surely Paige, the most well known player in WBB, is worth a paltry million dollars or so.
Most well known WBB player? I'll bet a hell of a lot more people know who Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, and Candace Parker are.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most well known WBB player? I'll bet a hell of a lot more people know who Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, and Candace Parker are.
Let’s say college WBB, but honestly, there’s a bunch of Gen Z’s out there who know Paige, but may not have heard of any of the players you mention, all of whom are relatively ancient to these kids.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Totals are interesting but the one thing I would really like to see is the top 25 or so NIL compensation levels by individual athlete.

Reaction Score
Let’s say college WBB, but honestly, there’s a bunch of Gen Z’s out there who know Paige, but may not have heard of any of the players you mention, all of whom are relatively ancient to these kids.
I'm a younger millennial so borderline gen Z. People don't know Paige just because she's in the same generation just like they probably have no clue who Olivia Dunne is despite also being a collegiate athlete that is much more popular on social media compared to Paige. If you're into sports, particularly women's basketball, you know who Diana and Sue are, and if you're not then you don't, but you're also unlikely to know who Paige is. Paige isn't a Kardashian. In other words she's not a household name in the social media world, and she's not quite there yet in the sports world either.

Jim

Reaction Score
I think Paige is smart enough to realize that if she has a big NIL contract and others on the team don't, that could cause chemistry issues on the team and detract from the goal of winning national championships.

Reaction Score
I think Paige is smart enough to realize that if she has a big NIL contract and others on the team don't, that could cause chemistry issues on the team and detract from the goal of winning national championships.
She may never get a "big NIL contract." Sounds like the big cash grab people thought would result from NIL isn't materializing, or is materializing much more slowly than predicted. If ESPN rams Paige down everyone's throat again this year, and she's the star of the final four in bringing home UConn's first natty since The Big Three, I could definitely see some big(ger) endorsements coming her way by season's end. What she said about wanting to land a deal that takes her into her professional career is the way to go, and I thought that this is how it would ultimately play out for her. Nike, Puma, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. would want to lock her up long term since she will undoubtedly be a star in her sport for the next 20 years, and what better way to get started than to do it while she's still in college and relatively cheap.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you should avoid threads with her name in the title? Just a thought.
I would, except now and then something interesting appears. Wow, such a touchy group! As I said, looking forward to the season so I can watch this team gell, grow and meet their collective expectations.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She may never get a "big NIL contract." Sounds like the big cash grab people thought would result from NIL isn't materializing, or is materializing much more slowly than predicted. If ESPN rams Paige down everyone's throat again this year, and she's the star of the final four in bringing home UConn's first natty since The Big Three, I could definitely see some big(ger) endorsements coming her way by season's end. What she said about wanting to land a deal that takes her into her professional career is the way to go, and I thought that this is how it would ultimately play out for her. Nike, Puma, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. would want to lock her up long term since she will undoubtedly be a star in her sport for the next 20 years, and what better way to get started than to do it while she's still in college and relatively cheap.
If ESPN continues to schedule WCBB's most interesting and historic team led by their most remarkable player, etc.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not to be rude, but I'm becoming weary of Paige this, Paige that, Paige all the time. God love her and boy I sure do and can't wait to see her play again, but tired of the same old rehash of old news or no news. Please season, start soon!
Here's something for a change of pace: Azzi, Azzi, Azzi.

Reaction Score
The question was posed to "Momma E" a month or so ago, and her reply was that everyone on the team would not be bothered if Paige signed a big contract. First, because she's earned it, and second because it would offer opportunities for others as well. A rising tide floats all boats, as the saying goes. She implied they've talked about it and have no issues with it. And no, before you ask, I don't remember the exact article.

Reaction Score
I would, except now and then something interesting appears. Wow, such a touchy group! As I said, looking forward to the season so I can watch this team gell, grow and meet their collective expectations.
I don't think it's a touchy group, at least as far as I'm concerned. That said, the 'group' doesn't respond well to someone coming in complaining about what everyone else is talking about when that someone could just so easily ignore it and move on.

Looking forward to reading your posts when the season starts and things get rolling and also sharing the good times. (Forewarning: there will be plenty of Paige posts.)

Reaction Score
Technically, Paige could play another 4 seasons in college, since last season didn’t count towards eligibility.

As for what she would make in the W if she left after her jr year, you make a valid point. Assuming Paige goes 1-4 in the draft, her maximum 1st year salary in 2023 would be $74,305, likely a fraction of what she could earn from NIL in college.
It wold be incredibly ironic if Paige stayed in college a 4th or even 5th year because she could make a lot more money doing that rather than going pro.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind of. What you did is open a thread about Paige and then complain that there were threads about Paige. That really doesn’t add anything to the thread. Here’s a pro tip: you don’t have to share every thought you have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wold be incredibly ironic if Paige stayed in college a 4th or even 5th year because she could make a lot more money doing that rather than going pro.
It would be great, but I can't imagine Paige sticking around that long. She would practically be 24 by the time she left college.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you say.

First, there were a ton of "big cash grab" people making all kinds of different assertions, from players getting rich, to NIL destroying college sports, to teams being destroyed with jealousy, etc., etc. A deep breath and a little bit of thought would have made it evident that the world doesn't quite work that way.

Second, it takes time for something like this to develop into beneficial quality. Some players jumped right into deals that were immediately offered. To those, I would say be careful if it's not too late. The wolves with their attorneys and shiny contracts are always the first at the door, and they aren't your friends. They offer up nice, tender little chickens at first to feast upon and to draw you in, but once the table is empty, don't forget that they are still wolves. A national deal with a company like Subway seems great until you realize that all you are ultimately left with is a free sandwich once a week, and there is no free delivery.

Third, Paige is handling this in what I think is the exact right way. She isn't in a hurry. She has a management team, and they have been informed by her that basketball is her number one focus because without it, nothing else matters. The key word is 'team', and Paige has shown many times that 'team' is what drives her. Wasserman seems to know this as well, since they have acknowledged it in their press statements. Paige is smart, and being under no personal pressure to enter into a deal transfers all the pressure onto those companies seeking her endorsement.

And last but not least, and if God is willing and the creek don't rise, she can put a deal (or multiple deals) together that will allow her to play a full four more years at UConn, give her the opportunity to win multiple national championships, walk away with a master's degree, enter the draft and play here or abroad while still carrying her sponsors with her.

From what I've seen and read of Paige, all she wants is to be happy and have basketball be a big part of her life. Gravy is optional. All the best to her.

Reaction Score
While there has been great speculation over the potential value of Nil deals, couldn't Paige just be waiting for market values to form? Many athletes will just say yes to the first offer they get. It is probably hard not to.

In time some of the bigger names will get much bigger deals. Then Paige can use the highest deals reached at that point as the bare minimum for any deal with her. I suspect she doesn't want this to dominate or take away from her basketball or social media.

She is in the fortunate position to have professionals handle the vast majority of contacts and only get intimately involved in the final stages of a big deal. Give your advisor team the parameters that are important to you, and then let them do their thing. Most athletes more on the fringe will have to do much of the legwork themselves to secure a far less lucrative deal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While there has been great speculation over the potential value of Nil deals, couldn't Paige just be waiting for market values to form? Many athletes will just say yes to the first offer they get. It is probably hard not to.

In time some of the bigger names will get much bigger deals. Then Paige can use the highest deals reached at that point as the bare minimum for any deal with her. I suspect she doesn't want this to dominate or take away from her basketball or social media.

She is in the fortunate position to have professionals handle the vast majority of contacts and only get intimately involved in the final stages of a big deal. Give your advisor team the parameters that are important to you, and then let them do their thing. Most athletes more on the fringe will have to do much of the legwork themselves to secure a far less lucrative deal.
Excellent points. Paige has a big time agent from a big time agency doing all the up front legwork. I suspect most college athletes have not engaged that kind of professional support when it comes to NIL.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I saw this but I think it is interesting that main stream sports reporting puts Paige's tweets on par with the NBA pros in terms of interest. Glad Paige is following closely Steph Curry instead of that other dude. His game is exactly the correct balance I think Paige strives for (and Paige is already better defensively)

1634917581212.png

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If ESPN continues to schedule WCBB's most interesting and historic team led by their most remarkable player, etc.
You must be talking about South Carolina? Unfortunately ESPN is not our friend now as Fox is the Big East network of choice. The SEC is working with ESPN, so these are the games that they will produce. FYI, the game with South Carolina is on the road so that game will be on ESPN. I think SNY does more to promote UConn than Fox does.

Reaction Score
LOL most famous athlete in the world? She's not even that well known in Connecticut.

We Nutmeggers know who she is. Even though we're increasingly rooting for the UConn football team. They need the love!!! Even if you don't like football, you gotta feel for those guys!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom