What's up with Paige and NIL? | The Boneyard

What's up with Paige and NIL?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many college athletes have announced NIL deals with sponsors including Azzi (Chipolte) and Liv (Fabletics}. Thus far Paige has hired an agent (Lindsay Colas) and trademarked Paige Buckets, but to date, there hasn't been any major endorsement deal announced for possibly the most marketable athlete in college sports. In the attached article, Paige hints at something in the works for the start of the season. Stay tuned.

Bueckers' NIL Hesitancy - Front Office Sports

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you are her agent, you are very good. ;);) Expect a call from LeBron.

Reaction Score
LOL most famous athlete in the world? She's not even that well known in Connecticut.
Nil was meant for football players and female athletes that were considered hot. The first 2 big female deals were Cavinder twins and their team isn't even a tournament team and the other was Olivia Dunne.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nil was meant for football players and female athletes that were considered hot. The first 2 big female deals were Cavinder twins and their team isn't even a tournament team and the other was Olivia Dunne.
While that is certainly an element of NIL, I think it misses the bigger picture. For most college athletes NIL is only about leveraging their social media presence. For a small handful like Paige, there are significant opportunities in conventional print & television media with big name companies like Nike, McDonalds & Visa.

I will again raise the example of Athing Mu. While not technically subject to NIL, as she turned pro during her freshman year in college, Mu signed a multi year, 7-figure contract with Nike prior to the Olympics, going on to win two gold medals. At the age of 19 she is already a millionaire.

Reaction Score
Not to be rude, but I'm becoming weary of Paige this, Paige that, Paige all the time. God love her and boy I sure do and can't wait to see her play again, but tired of the same old rehash of old news or no news. Please season, start soon!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to be rude, but I'm becoming weary of Paige this, Paige that, Paige all the time. God love her and boy I sure do and can't wait to see her play again, but tired of the same old rehash of old news or no news. Please season, start soon!
The other day there was yet another BY thread on the upcoming season, specifically predicting the 64-team bracket for March Madness before a single game had been played.

I registered my objection to one more preseason WBB prediction, only to be called out by a long time BY’er who suggested that I didn’t have to read the thread. After giving it some thought, I decided he was right…..

Reaction Score
On this first page of the forum, there are a total of 51 threads. 8 of them directly relate to Paige, most of which are not old news as they refer to something that happened this week, and they can otherwise be scrolled past. That leaves 43 threads about many other things, none directly related to Paige. Surely there must be something else to read.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps you should avoid threads with her name in the title? Just a thought.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I heard Stephen Curry and LeBron James are biding for working with Paige. Well just my pure inside imagination... ;)
Actually, Curry is not out of the question. Paige has been to his camp and I could see her joining him in a Subway commercial, where Curry is already a spokesperson. She and Azzi would have the fast food market covered. :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thus far Paige has hired an agent (Lindsay Colas) and trademarked Paige Buckets, but to date, there hasn't been any major endorsement deal announced for possibly the most marketable athlete in college sports. In the attached article, Paige hints at something in the works for the start of the season. Stay tuned.
Perhaps she believes if UCONN wins #12 her market value will soar. Will #12 give her better leverage in a NIL negotiation?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps she believes if UCONN wins #12 her market value will soar. Will #12 give her better leverage in a NIL negotiation?
Interesting thought. Technically, NIL deals can not be tied to performance, unlike Athing Mu’s deal which included a considerable incentive for her Olympic performance.

Paige’s agent has indicated that she is looking for long term deals that will bridge her client right into the pros. That sounds like a 5 year deal to me. If Nike is smart, they will sign a deal with Paige now, before she racks up 2-3 national championships, which would escalate the price tag considerably.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought. Technically, NIL deals can not be tied to performance, unlike Athing Mu’s deal which included a considerable incentive for her Olympic performance.

Paige’s agent has indicated that she is looking for long term deals that will bridge her client right into the pros. That sounds like a 5 year deal to me. If Nike is smart, they will sign a deal with Paige now, before she racks up 2-3 national championships, which would escalate the price tag considerably.
you think Uconn will win the next 3 ntl titles? Assuming she stays after jr season

Reaction Score
Sure. Why not?
I just can't fathom that Stewart dominance anymore. Other schools have caught up in recruiting and the transfer portal used as a tool to level the playing field with Uconn. I look at Stanford getting Betts and possibly Kiki, South Carolina is not going anywhere they just had the best recruiting class in the country. And in two seasons I expect Kara Lawson and Ivey from Notre Dame to be big players. Follow that with teams like Louisville who will be very experienced and Iowa with Clark.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just can't fathom that Stewart dominance anymore. Other schools have caught up in recruiting and the transfer portal used as a tool to level the playing field with Uconn. I look at Stanford getting Betts and possibly Kiki, South Carolina is not going anywhere they just had the best recruiting class in the country. And in two seasons I expect Kara Lawson and Ivey from Notre Dame to be big players. Follow that with teams like Louisville who will be very experienced and Iowa with Clark.
I agree that the level of talent throughout WBB is better than ever. Teams like Stanford and SC will be powerhouses each and every season going forward.

At the same time, UConn’s roster is arguably deeper, more experienced and more talented than any Husky team ever, and that will continue for several seasons to come. It certainly won’t be easy, but if Geno has the talent, he’s still capable of running off several championships in a row.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Technically, Paige could play another 4 seasons in college, since last season didn’t count towards eligibility.

As for what she would make in the W if she left after her jr year, you make a valid point. Assuming Paige goes 1-4 in the draft, her maximum 1st year salary in 2023 would be $74,305, likely a fraction of what she could earn from NIL in college.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there are few female athletes in any sport at any level getting advertising deals. The college level players are competing with pro athletes, most of whom have greater name recognition. Paige has a significant number of followers but outside of the relatively small women's basketball community, she is an unknown. Predict that comparatively she will do well, but the windfall some are predicting may take time to develop.

Reaction Score
Many college athletes have announced NIL deals with sponsors including Azzi (Chipolte) and Liv (Fabletics}. Thus far Paige has hired an agent (Lindsay Colas) and trademarked Paige Buckets, but to date, there hasn't been any major endorsement deal announced for possibly the most marketable athlete in college sports. In the attached article, Paige hints at something in the works for the start of the season. Stay tuned.

Bueckers' NIL Hesitancy - Front Office Sports
Geez. One more thing to worry about . . .
1634842430705.png

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there are few female athletes in any sport at any level getting advertising deals. The college level players are competing with pro athletes, most of whom have greater name recognition. Paige has a significant number of followers but outside of the relatively small women's basketball community, she is an unknown. Predict that comparatively she will do well, but the windfall some are predicting may take time to develop.
I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

According to The Wall Street Journal, a law firm hired by the NCAA noted in a report that Bueckers has 900K (actually 910K) followers on Instagram, which is "more than the twenty 2021 Men's Final Four starters combined." They also determined that she "will likely be the nation's best-known college basketball player (male or female)" during her second season. Apparently, 21% of all Americans are 'very interested' in college basketball.

Not sure how "relatively small" the women's basketball community is, but it seems likely that her fan base, and people who know who she is could be larger than you think. As far as windfall predictions, her agent Lindsay Kagawa Colas of Wasserman evidently "didn't blink at the $1 million estimate".

Is she going to compete with LeBron? Of course not, but she's going to do pretty good, and as I believe Geno said, it won't just be free donuts for life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I saw some articles that rank Paige’s Social media value among the top few in college basketball, if not the very top. Though it is counterintuitive in a world where men’s games have a much greater draw than most women’s games, for whatever reason, female college athletes have much greater followers than male college athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom