What's the status on our QB coach search? | The Boneyard

What's the status on our QB coach search?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't heard much on this since it was mentioned that New Orleans Saints' scout Mike Neu might be our guy... Dude's just that, a scout. If he were indeed our guy wouldn't we be hearing more about it by now? Just sayin...

Reaction Score
I was kinda excited about Neu because he was a former QB, but in hindsight, I still hope we bring in a guy with some BCS level experience minimum... I'm still not too thrilled about Clayton White as our RB coach ( MAJOR downgrade from T. Richardson ) either... Let's hope Coach P gets it right whatever he does...

Reaction Score
I was kinda excited about Neu because he was a former QB, but in hindsight, I still hope we bring in a guy with some BCS level experience minimum... I'm still not too thrilled about Clayton White as our RB coach ( MAJOR downgrade from T. Richardson ) either... Let's hope Coach P gets it right whatever he does...

I wouldn't say major major downgrade. No evidence of that right now. UConn just plugged in a 165 RS freshman who ran for 1K +. I'd say White is off to a good start.

Reaction Score
I know he is young but what about DJ Hernandez? 1st year as Brown QB coach Kyle Newhall-Caballaro was 226/370 for 2356 yds 18tds 7int with a 126.8 QB rating.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say major major downgrade. No evidence of that right now. UConn just plugged in a 165 RS freshman who ran for 1K +. I'd say White is off to a good start.

Definitely not a major major downgrade, but IMO a MAJOR downgrade at the coaching position. Dude's a LB ... I'd be happier if he stuck with coaching that and special teams... Honestly it bothers me to see us giving a coach an opportunity to coach an entirely new position at this level of football... If it were 1998, during the Holtz era then it wouldn't be a big deal... I understand McCombs did well as a frosh, but he was the ONLY back we had that did well... the ONLY one... at 5'7 170 something pounds... It would be nice to see another RB on our squad rip off at least one 15 yard run in a season not named McCombs against stiff competition...

Back to QB coach... again just want us to grab the right guy and not a puppet to fit the system.. A guy that knows what he's doing in game day situations...

Reaction Score
Of course he was the only one. Jean Louis could barely catch a toss, Shoemate got hurt, and Deshonn Foxx was an undersized true freshman.

We'll be fine at RB. It's an instinctive position. We probably somewhat overstate the importance of the RB coach...

Reaction Score
Furthermore KTuck, take a look at the U:

2010, RB stats (before Richardson) :

Mike James (Soph), 70 carries, 398 yards (5.7 ypc)
Lamar Miller (Frosh), 108 carries, 646 yards (6.0 ypc)

2011, RB stats (with Richardson) :

Mike James (Junior), 72 carries, 275 yards (3.8 ypc)
Lamar Miller (Soph), 227 carries, 1272 yards (5.6 ypc)

Do you see some huge impact there? Or any impact at all?

I don't. I see a junior who regressed, and a Sophomore who showed a natural progression. Stats inline with the additional carries he received.

I wouldn't credit Miller's numbers to Richardson, just as I wouldn't blame Richardson for James' regression.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we need some 1 that can develope qbs like we havn't see before(take dan o out of this) and some 1 that can recruit well.

Reaction Score
I actually heard from some players that Clayton isn't well respected or thought of as too good of a coach by the actual players.. obviously they don't speak for everyone, but i thought it was interesting to hear.

Reaction Score
Furthermore KTuck, take a look at the U:

2010, RB stats (before Richardson) :

Mike James (Soph), 70 carries, 398 yards (5.7 ypc)
Lamar Miller (Frosh), 108 carries, 646 yards (6.0 ypc)

2011, RB stats (with Richardson) :

Mike James (Junior), 72 carries, 275 yards (3.8 ypc)
Lamar Miller (Soph), 227 carries, 1272 yards (5.6 ypc)

Do you see some huge impact there? Or any impact at all?

I don't. I see a junior who regressed, and a Sophomore who showed a natural progression. Stats inline with the additional carries he received.

I wouldn't credit Miller's numbers to Richardson, just as I wouldn't blame Richardson for James' regression.

OK, that's year 1 for T. Richardson... Apparently you forgot about how our stable of RBs were in the 10 years he coached them up in Storrs, CT? There you have a proven RB coach... We just digressed grabbing a guy that NEVER coached the position ( maybe at the pop warner or HS level , who knows? but definitely not the college level at all )... and you really think Coach White can figure out the nuances of the position at this level that he can pass along to our recruited kids that are actual RBs? Really? and btw, we had 6 RBs and only 1 really played, the smallest kid on the team... Now u see the comment from Krugs17 implying some not some positive players' thoughts about the guy. Like I said before I hope he ends up as special teams and LBs coach only ... eventually.... But , it's only one year, so the jury's still out... Worst case scenario, he proves me wrong, which I pray he does... right now, I'm not too optomistic about that...

Reaction Score
Lots of position coaches played another position and learned their new trade at the college, even BCS, level. Read the bio of Penn State's new coach. He was a linebacker at Brown but started as a TE coach at his alma mater. He then went on to coach running backs, quarterbacks and became an OC - all for the first time at BCS schools Georgia Tech, Maryland and Duke. He then joined the Patriots and became a wide receivers coach at the NFL level, having never before coached the position. Oddly enough, O'Brien, a defensive player by training, has never coached on the defensive side of the ball.

Edit: That last statement is incorrect as O'Brien apparently coached linebackers for one year at Brown, but the basic point remains.

Reaction Score
OK, that's year 1 for T. Richardson... Apparently you forgot about how our stable of RBs were in the 10 years he coached them up in Storrs, CT? There you have a proven RB coach... We just digressed grabbing a guy that NEVER coached the position ( maybe at the pop warner or HS level , who knows? but definitely not the college level at all )... and you really think Coach White can figure out the nuances of the position at this level that he can pass along to our recruited kids that are actual RBs? Really? and btw, we had 6 RBs and only 1 really played, the smallest kid on the team... Now u see the comment from Krugs17 implying some not some positive players' thoughts about the guy. Like I said before I hope he ends up as special teams and LBs coach only ... eventually.... But , it's only one year, so the jury's still out... Worst case scenario, he proves me wrong, which I pray he does... right now, I'm not too optomistic about that...

You and I can agree to disagree. I think you are putting a bit too much stock in the RB position coach. It's an instinctive position, and usually backs either have it, or they don't.

Reaction Score
+1, ever see him on the sideline giving instruction/guidance?

Reaction Score
I'm not so worried about Clayton White's job at rb coach. Remember that he is also the special teams coordinator. The beginning of the year coverage schemes were embarrassing and the blocking never allowed williams to get the looks he had before. I'm going to say we were spoiled with Anthony Sherman and D.J. Shoemate making many things happen the years before, but whether it is personnel or scheme, that falls on Clayton White's shoulders.

Again, coaching choices were weird last year. Coach Wholley (a former running back) was in charge of the linebackers whereas White was always on the defensive side of the ball until he arrived in Storrs. Luckily, Pasqualoni knows linebackers which helps Wholley, but would it be out of the question to swap these guys (wholley and white) now? I believe in learning new trades, but I hope that it is not going to affect the positions in the long term.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I actually heard from some players that Clayton isn't well respected or thought of as too good of a coach by the actual players.. obviously they don't speak for everyone, but i thought it was interesting to hear.
That strikes me as a bit of a problem....

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is a realistic chance any of these guys come to UConn, but they have some pretty good ties to the staff and seem to be pretty solid choices. I don't know what other names are out there but these guys might be worth a look:

UConn QB Coach Candidates?

Reaction Score
Bush should be looking for work since he was a Sparano guy in Miami. Rogers would be a VERY interesting hire if he is healthy enough to coach again, I can't see Rhule only because he is a TE coach and not a qb coach. We should see something on this hire pretty soon. I imagine P was at the convention talking to guys.

Not sure if there is a realistic chance any of these guys come to UConn, but they have some pretty good ties to the staff and seem to be pretty solid choices. I don't know what other names are out there but these guys might be worth a look:

UConn QB Coach Candidates?

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I would think that Steve Bush will be your next QB coach. I would be shocked if Kevin Rogers winds up at UCONN, it has been a long long time but I don't think he will be signing for another tour with P&D again but Rogers is about as good as they get from a QB coaching perspective, everywhere he has been he has made a HUGE difference. ND, VT, Syracuse. Great coach

Bush was much maligned while at Syracuse, right or wrong but then he took a doormat of high school program and lead them to a state title before going to Miami as the QC guy. I believe he was a NJ guy but wasn't a very good recruiter. Then again, we haven't had a good qb in 15 years so maybe it wasn't Bush's fault!! :)

Reaction Score
Dez put up a tweet a little while ago saying qb coaching job has been posted again.

Reaction Score
Wonder how many NFL connections coach p still has that might be interested?

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a solid recruiter.
Dez had a tweet yesterday after talking to Coach P that new QB coach will have experience as a qb coach and will be a very good recruiter. Let's just hope it isn't Jay Paterno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom