what's the deal with Missouri | The Boneyard

what's the deal with Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why haven't they made their decision official yet? theoretically what i've read stated that the B12 was ready accept WVU as a replacement for Mizzou, which leads me to believe it is contingent on Mizzou leaving. what's the hold up? crap or get off the pot already.

Reaction Score
I saw on the ESPN ticker last night that the offer to West Virginia was NOT contingent on Missouri leaving. That was the first time I'd heard that. If true and they could convince Missouri to stay the B12 would be at 11 members. Then what?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reality is that Mizzou wants to go B1G. They always have. Their biggest rival apart from Kansas is Illinois. Mizzou gets tons of kids from Chicago, and St. Louis views itself as a little Chicago. They have little or no connection to the Southeast. Staying in the Big XII makes more sense than the SEC for Mizzou, and preserves the key benefits to KC as the hub of the conference, or at least co-hub with Dallas. I don't think the move is a slam dunk, and if Mizzou hadn't burned some bridges in the Big XII, I don't think they'd be seriously considering it. It may happen, but isn't easy for them.

As I posted yesterday, I think the conferences are coming to realize that there are only so many valuable properties out there, and that some of them are available. I think the Big XII sees WVU that way. If Mizzou stays, expect Louisville or BYU next.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They may be trying to make sure they don't BCU themselves if they move to the SEC.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Missouri is in the B12, has an offer from the SEC, but wants the Big 10. I think they are dragging out the process as long as possible with the hope that the Big 10 offers. With all of the rumors about what ND might do and what happens to the BE, it seems like a smart idea.

Missouri probably views the B12 as too unstable for the long term and they will take the SEC if Big 10 doesn't offer soon. It was not too long ago that it looked like Missouri was going to be left out and may have to join the BE.

Reaction Score
I saw on the ESPN ticker last night that the offer to West Virginia was NOT contingent on Missouri leaving. That was the first time I'd heard that. If true and they could convince Missouri to stay the B12 would be at 11 members. Then what?

Not a difficult question. There was and is debate as to whether L'ville or WVU would be a better fit. If Missouri stays they just take both and go to 12. The second tier of the B-12 wants to go to 12 to cushion the blow of the potential movement of 4 teams to the PAC-12 sometime down the road.

Missouri is obviously dragging this out hoping for a B1G offer. Surprised that the SEC let them drag this out so long. Tells me the SEC did not have all the options believed by many. Doesn't seem like the ACC teams were as interested in a significantly tougher conference and a limited shot at a BCS bowl for a few extra million.

Reaction Score
I sure hope Prendy is on the phone to the B-12 as an option/partner for West Virginia. Frankly I still think the BE football schools to the B-12 is the best solution for both sides. which game do you think gets top billing, Texas-UCONN or Pitt-BC?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I have a hunch Missouri is waiting to see if Notre Dame joins the Big 10. I think they'd make a quick phone call to see if they can be the 14th.

Reaction Score
Here is what I wonder. At what point in desperation does a Louisville -- and this could be us tomorrow -- say to a conference "you're going to pay WVU $20M a year -- we'll come for $12M."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is what I wonder. At what point in desperation does a Louisville -- and this could be us tomorrow -- say to a conference "you're going to pay WVU $20M a year -- we'll come for $12M."

I am surprised this hasn't happened already.

Reaction Score
The reality is that Mizzou wants to go B1G. They always have. Their biggest rival apart from Kansas is Illinois. Mizzou gets tons of kids from Chicago, and St. Louis views itself as a little Chicago. They have little or no connection to the Southeast. Staying in the Big XII makes more sense than the SEC for Mizzou, and preserves the key benefits to KC as the hub of the conference, or at least co-hub with Dallas. I don't think the move is a slam dunk, and if Mizzou hadn't burned some bridges in the Big XII, I don't think they'd be seriously considering it. It may happen, but isn't easy for them.

As I posted yesterday, I think the conferences are coming to realize that there are only so many valuable properties out there, and that some of them are available. I think the Big XII sees WVU that way. If Mizzou stays, expect Louisville or BYU next.

I think there's only one scenario for Missouri to the Big 10. That's if ND joins and the B1G decides to go all in for the first 16 team conference with extended market opportunities for the Big Ten Network. If so, you could see Rutgers and either UConn or Maryland invited to gain access to the East Coast at which point Missouri's further extension in the heartland bringing (they will argue) the remainder of the St. Louis market and the KC market makes sense. Missouri by itself or alone with ND doesn't do enough for the league or the network. They'd choose one of the three Eastern schools if it's ND plus one.

Reaction Score
Didn't TCU accept a lower revenue share in the B12 for the first few years?

Reaction Score
McConnell can F up everything and leave WVU standing at the alter (just look at what he does in congress). So maybe they stay, we add Boise and the other 5 and we are stronger than ever in football?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
McConnell can F up everything and leave WVU standing at the alter (just look at what he does in congress). So maybe they stay, we add Boise and the other 5 and we are stronger than ever in football?

McConnell is just a Senator. WV has two of those as well.

Reaction Score
Didn't TCU accept a lower revenue share in the B12 for the first few years?

Yes. I believe TCU took a pay cut for number of years before they get full share. That's BEVO's price for entering a conference that will blow up within 10 years. I just don't see how B12 will be around once PAC-12, SEC or B1G go into expansion mode again.

Reaction Score
Like my old boss would say after reading one my reports; "That dog don't hunt."

Reaction Score
Yes. I believe TCU took a pay cut for number of years before they get full share. That's BEVO's price for entering a conference that will blow up within 10 years. I just don't see how B12 will be around once PAC-12, SEC or B1G go into expansion mode again.

This is the norm as Miami, Va Tech, and BC took half shares for two years before getting "full" membership. I am sure that Pitt & Syracuse have similar deals.

If UConn and/or Rutgers eventually get invited you can expect that the ACC may negotiate even lower or more long term limited shares as the remaining BE teams don't have much bargaining power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom