what's the deal with Michael Smith? | The Boneyard

what's the deal with Michael Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/Michael-Smith.php

this website lists him as the #23 WR in the draft next year, but i was under the impression that he'd be coming back for us.
I have no inside knowledge, but I am "sure" he's coming back....he showed promise as a player, but nothing exceptional by any means. Teams will want to see some sustained production from him before they would think about drafting him. Especially since WR's are typically taken low in the draft anyway. Being ranked the 23rd WR in the draft is just a numerical way of saying "There is no way you are getting drafted."

I am quite confident we will see him playing for UCONN next year. Looking forward to his return, the BC transfer, and the Frosh who played this past season and showed some brief flashes.

Reaction Score
I feel like there was info a few months back saying he would be coming back, but don't hold me to that.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
It's probably just a list of who they think is going to enter the draft. Like in most drafts, they list juniors because they are eligible.

Reaction Score
I feel like there was info a few months back saying he would be coming back, but don't hold me to that.
About 98% sure I saw him on the sidelines of the last UCONN game of the season.

Reaction Score
He was on the team this year. He was just academically ineligible to play in games.

I don't think there is any question that he's playing next year, so long as he regains academic eligibility (and we've heard nothing to indicate any continuing problems -- and being listed on a site like that is not evidence that he's going pro).

Reaction Score
I have no inside knowledge, but I am "sure" he's coming back....he showed promise as a player, but nothing exceptional by any means. Teams will want to see some sustained production from him before they would think about drafting him. Especially since WR's are typically taken low in the draft anyway. Being ranked the 23rd WR in the draft is just a numerical way of saying "There is no way you are getting drafted."

I am quite confident we will see him playing for UCONN next year. Looking forward to his return, the BC transfer, and the Frosh who played this past season and showed some brief flashes.

errr.... 28 receivers were drafted last year

Reaction Score
errr.... 28 receivers were drafted last year
Wow, more WR's drafted than I thought!

In any event, I think it's safe to say he is returning to UCONN next year as opposed to the NFL based on his body of work to date. He should be a nice piece to add in to an offensive scheme that seemed to create lots of open WR's as the season went on.

Reaction Score
i hope we see him next year. i figured the only reason he'd enter the draft at this point was if for some reason he wasn't able to return academically or otherwise. he looked really good at times and with the Moores leaving we could use someone else in the mix.

Reaction Score
If Smith enters the draft this year, he will not be selected. He didn't play the entire season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Smith's chances at being selected in the upcoming NFL draft are slightly better than mine.....very slightly.....

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Smith could probably get some workouts and be an undrafted free agent if he left but if he comes back for a year and does well he could easily be a late round pick. He has shown the ability to get open, just needs consistency.

Reaction Score
Smith could probably get some workouts and be an undrafted free agent if he left but if he comes back for a year and does well he could easily be a late round pick. He has shown the ability to get open, just needs consistency.

There is no logical reason why he would come out this year, and I am sure he feels the same way. He has an opportunity to be the # 1 receiver this year, and can prove to scouts he has improved his game. He has alot of ability.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There is no logical reason why he would come out this year, and I am sure he feels the same way. He has an opportunity to be the # 1 receiver this year, and can prove to scouts he has improved his game. He has alot of ability.
Agree 100%. Didn't really make that clear in my post. I just wanted to point out that he could probably at least make a practice squad this year. But if he comes back for his Senior season he will have a good shot at being drafted. You don't pass that up. He can only benefit from coming back for his 5th year of eligibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom