What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Offense Avg 26 points per game
Defense gives up 20 points per game

8-4 Record

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
8-4 is not only good enough, it probably gets P Big East COY.

I don't see more than 5 wins on this year's schedule. If we go bowling I will be surprised.

I know this upsets the fantasy guys who sneer at folks for talking about reality, but I just don't see more than 5 wins. Hope I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

This pretty much matches my sentiment. Unless we see a drastic change in our offense this year or out TO ratio flip-flops this year, I struggle to see how we score enough points to win more than a few games.

I still have flashbacks of that PP quote at halftime (don't remember which game) when he was asked what the strategy was for the second half and he basically said to try and keep the game close and maybe we could steal a win. That philosophy won't work with this year's defense.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm going 7-5 in which we start off poorly and end strong. We get the big boys at home but I really only see us beating RU at home. I think UMD is better than a lot give credit for and were struck by injuries and it was still a close game. I see losses to Michigan, UMD, @UCF, @Cincy, and Louisville. @SMU will be a tough one as facing an air raid attack has never been good for a UConn Defense and we are replacing our two stud corners this year. I think we end the regular season with a 4 game winning streak and a trip to the PinStripe Bowl.

Like others have said, the biggest wildcard will be Wesit and his freedom to implement HIS offense. PP finally has "his" players in starting roles, or at least should. If he can't win this year there are no more excuses. He raised some hope this offseason with a great recruiting class, now let's make it happen on the field!

On top of it, this is probably THE most important season in UConn history. We want to get out of this conference and need to showcase ourselves in every aspect. The team needs to win, the fans need to show up, and season tix need to sell. I think we'll easily sell season tix as this is one of, if not THE, best home schedule we've ever had. If we win and make the games exciting, even in losses, we win over lots of fans and keep the interest going into the following season when all we have is BYU and the schedule our new conference provides. I'm hoping for big things. Nothing unrealistic like 12-0 but staying close and exciting in home losses and winning some big games and showing our fans and the nation and other conferences we are for real.

Reaction Score
HOWEVER, GDL has centuries of history with his bff, PP so this could prove difficult for the new coach. IMO this has internal dissension and disaster written all over it. I know nothing about Coach Weist, but unless he has a type a "this is why you hired me, this is how your gonna do it" mentality.... I just think things could get difficult at times. I pray to God P gives him the latitude to do what he needs to do in order to get the job done!

IMO this is the biggest question mark. How much will PP/GDL get in TJ's way? Players aren't stupid; they know why TJ is here, and if they sense the coaches aren't on the same page (if one is trying to undercut the other) this could get very ugly. Wouldn't be surprised if there was another coach "adjustment" after spring. And remember PP/GDL have already run the pretend demotion sting once before at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I think the record at worst will be 5-7 and at best 8-4. I predict 7-5.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have to say, I am pretty surprised with all of the 5-7 or 6-6 predictions that I'm seeing here.

Looking at the schedule, I can't even imagine less than 5 wins. Towson, @Buffalo, @SMU, @Temple, and Memphis should all be wins. That's 5 right there. Then out of Maryland, Michigan, USF, Cincy, UCF, Rutgers, and the Ville, we're likely going to pick up at least 2 of those games at minimum (blue games are at home). The baseline number really should be 7-5, and I believe that we will be better than that. I'm not shocked by the pessimism that I'm seeing here, but I certainly don't agree with it. I'm looking forward to a successful year for the national flag blue and white...

Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and say we are undefeated when we play against Michigan. After that, no clue what to expect. I think I will know more after summer practices shape up and we have a idea of depth on the offensive line figured out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly this is a team who went 5-7 with good talent against a terrible schedule. They lose so much more on defense than fans want to admit.

If they went 8-4 against this schedule it would mean that the 'uptick' is real and this staff earned their keep.

The reality is that they are going to have an over/under in Vegas around 5 wins. I'd actually put them at 4.5.

6 wins is a tall order with this roster and schedule. I'd put them at 5-7 but that is why you play the games.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I am pretty surprised with all of the 5-7 or 6-6 predictions that I'm seeing here.

Looking at the schedule, I can't even imagine less than 5 wins. Towson, @Buffalo, @SMU, @Temple, and Memphis should all be wins. That's 5 right there. Then out of Maryland, Michigan, USF, Cincy, UCF, Rutgers, and the Ville, we're likely going to pick up at least 2 of those games at minimum (blue games are at home). The baseline number really should be 7-5, and I believe that we will be better than that. I'm not shocked by the pessimism that I'm seeing here, but I certainly don't agree with it. I'm looking forward to a successful year for the national flag blue and white...

Let's hope your handicapping of the season is better this year. Last year you were only off by 8 wins.

pj

Reaction Score

Good point. I should have looked at the schedule. I only looked at the offensive line coach.

Reaction Score
Don't worry. The offseason amnesia isn't permanent.

Did you look at last season's schedule?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Everybody seems to be climbing the wall of worry.
panic in the streets, dogs and cats living together.

I am hoping for 9 wins plus a bowl win... we may have a few bumps getting used to our new staff, and our new staff to the guys.

New coaches will give new ideas and may help a few guys get a new pop in their game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've kinda held off on this thread because I have no clue. Will the o-line be better or the same? No idea. Will Whitmer cut down on picks? Will Weist save us? Will Hank keep us full throttle on D?

I like to think we won't be worse than the last 2 years, so I'll set a floor of 5-7. Ceiling? Yeesh... Realistically it's 8 wins. Beyond that you need to catch a lot of breaks.

Reaction Score
People can knock the "pessimistic" predicitions of 5 wins all day long. But this staff has shown nothing to give me any confidence that we will do more with less against a much, much more difficult schedule this year.

Any predicitions of 7 wins or more is simply not based on any of the realities that we've seen the last couple of years. It's based on pure blind faith and nothing else. All the power to you guys. I'm basing my predicitions on what my eyes have seen on the field. 4 or 5 wins is about where I see it. Can they win 7 or more? Sure they can. But I have no reason to believe that they will.

Reaction Score
I agree with Jimmy. I look at the schedule and see that Buffalo game on the road as a trap game. If they lose that game, they will be lucky to win four games. I think the floor is three and upside is five or maybe six. I just don't see any identity that this team can fall back on. they can't run, can't pass, specials are a ? and the defense lost five of its best players and its coach. I mean...this could be a total disaster unless some of the backups are a lot better than recruiting prognosticators think. I think as fans we never want to look at a worse-case, but isn't this the kind of team/situation where if they get smoked by Michigan and Maryland that they and the fans quit on the staff? I think that scenario is in play here.

at the same time, if they beat Buffalo and can somehow beat MAryland, maybe six wins or more is a possibility.

Reaction Score
People can knock the "pessimistic" predicitions of 5 wins all day long. But this staff has shown nothing to give me any confidence that we will do more with less against a much, much more difficult schedule this year.

If you accept the premise that we had loads of offensive and special teams talent capable of winning football games. If.

Reaction Score
If you accept the premise that we had loads of offensive and special teams talent capable of winning football games. If.

I don't know why you keep picking this argument with me. I agree with you on the offensive talent.

Where we disagree is that I don't think P is the right man for the job. His time has come and unfortunately has gone. How anyone can watch the end of the first half of the Rutgers game this year and then voice confidence and support in this staff is beyond my level of comprehension.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think P is the problem with this program and GDL was only a symptom. I hope I'm wrong, but I see a weaker team playing a tougher schedule this year. I'm afraid MD will blow us out making the Michigan game irrelevent outside the Greater Hartford area. Five wins is our top. I would love to eat some crow here. Perhaps the new OC can make a difference.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's hope your handicapping of the season is better this year. Last year you were only off by 8 wins.

I'm glad you have the ability to differentiate between my fictitious posts that defend a 13-0 year and the one that I posted in this thread; the one that describes the games that I believe we should win or are at least a 50/50 in.

Did we underachieve last year? Absolutely yes. But does that mean that the thought process here is that we should always underachieve every year? I'm judging based on what I think this roster should do against this schedule...

Reaction Score
I don't know why you keep picking this argument with me. I agree with you on the offensive talent.

Where we disagree is that I don't think P is the right man for the job. His time has come and unfortunately has gone. How anyone can watch the end of the first half of the Rutgers game this year and then voice confidence and support in this staff is beyond my level of comprehension.

1. I'll keep picking this argument because you keep presenting your opinion as fact.
2. I never said P was the "right man for the job," but I do think he probably deserves 3 years to find out and I'm sure thankful we gave Edsall more than 2 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm with you. I don't think USF, UCF, Rutgers, Cinci or Maryland are anything special. I'd be surprised if we lost to Rutgers or USF at home. UCF and SMU aren't easy road games, but we certainly should win one of them. I don't think 8-4 is even out of the question. Hell, changing our turnover margin alone would be a huge step in the right direction. The defense probably takes a small step back, but I think the offense takes a big step forward and eliminate mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom