What's the Ceiling for 2019? | The Boneyard

What's the Ceiling for 2019?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We can all agree that the 2018 can't finish enough, and I've begun wondering about 2019. This will be the real beginning of Edsall having to take accountability in some form for what's happening on the field, and I'm not sure it's going to look any better than what we've experienced this year. Our OOC schedule includes Wagner, Illinois, Indiana, and UMass. At best, we will win 2 of those contests.

In conference, we play ECU, Houston, Navy, USF, Cincy, Temple, Tulane, UCF. There's no chance of beating Cincy or UCF, and probably no chance at beating Temple either. USF looks like they could be headed towards being pretty bad, but they'll still probably handle us. We could have a shot against Navy, and maybe ECU.

I'd argue that our absolute ceiling for next year is 4 wins. We return almost the entirety of the worst defense in America, lose our best player by a mile in Pindell and don't have someone behind him who we're sure can handle the job. So, if we end up winning 3 games (and I think that's a high estimate) that'll probably put Randy at 7-28 through three seasons assuming we don't win another game this year (I think that's a safe assumption). At best, Randy ends up at 8-27 through three years. At worst, he's sitting at 5-30 or so.

There's been a lot of talk about whether Randy deserves to come back for 2019--I think that's a foregone conclusion. The better question is about 2020. Next year is not going to be pretty, and Randy will have had three dreadful seasons with no signs of meaningful improvement. Does he get a fourth year to turn around what's been branded as a massive rebuild that he claims will take five years?

I think that's a huge question, and a question that will probably hold in the balance whether or not we continue to play FBS football. If the rebuild works (and by works I mean gets us to a place where we can be 6-6 most of the time), then we're safe. If it doesn't, we will have spent a decade as one of the worst teams in CFB and will be looking at another coach to come in with a 3-4 year rebuild. In other words, we'll be toast. So, what do you guys think is the move if Randy wins 4 or less in 2019?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
4 wins absolute best.

Reaction Score
3 wins tops with most likely 1-2. Defense won't improve much. Won't come close to a winning season until 2021 or 2022. Sorry for being negative. It's been a long 8 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No idea. If we can't defend at all, then we will win 1 or 2 max.

The good news is that we aren't losing anyone that we are going to miss. In each of the last few years we've lost at least one play we knew was way better than his replacement. Can't say that this year. We at least have the potential to improve at all 22 positions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There has been nothing to date to get excited about for 2019. We're getting worse, not better. Worse of all, we're losing our QB (one of very few FBS level players on the entire roster). Unless we're able to find a win or two in the last few games, there's zero reason to think that anything more than 1 win is realistic for 2019. I hate sports.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
No idea. If we can't defend at all, then we will win 1 or 2 max.

The good news is that we aren't losing anyone that we are going to miss. In each of the last few years we've lost at least one play we knew was way better than his replacement. Can't say that this year. We at least have the potential to improve at all 22 positions.
remains to be seen how Pindell's replace does...

Reaction Score
If our D is as just good next year as this year, then the ceiling is 1.

Even in our other crap years when our offense was like watching your own root canal surgery, we at least had a semblance of a D that could keep us mathematically in games. Last couple years the dam has completely burst. If you can’t stop anybody at all - even garbage teams - then you have zero shot.

The offense - losing Pindell really will hurt but hopefully the next guy in line will surprise.

I’m not optimistic . . . but I need to try to be for sanity’s sake. Hope these guys bulk up in the weight room this offseason.

Reaction Score
I’d say 4 wins is ceiling. The offensive line is going to be a strength and so will the running game. Obviously the key position is quarterback. I like every part of the offense except qb going into next year which stinks because no qb means no success on O.

Defense is in for a long year again but I expect some improvement. There is some talent here that I expect to get better with another year: Travis Jones, Kevon Jones, Beavers, and Omari Fortt have stood out to me. But they need a ton of help here. I think Dillon Harris will have an immediate impact at LB.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Next year they will still be exhibition games so it doesn't matter.

Think Edsall gets all the years on his contract. Not so sure about the coordinators or assistants. If Crocker gets fired at the end of this year, Edsall is on thinner ice than we thought.

Reaction Score
I know Edsall won't talk mid-season but any chance Crocker gets the boot for 2019?

Let us not forget... our experienced/senior-laden defense was BAD last year, only outdone by this season's dumpster fire.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Crocker has to be gone; they just can't retain the same staff and pretend this season didn't happen...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Who cares? Next year they will still be exhibition games so it doesn't matter.

Think Edsall gets all the years on his contract. Not so sure about the coordinators or assistants. If Crocker gets fired at the end of this year, Edsall is on thinner ice than we thought.

I don’t think there’s a way we see Crocker here next year. Regardless of how many freshmen are playing, you can’t keep a job with that kind of performance. To top it off, we aren’t even running his system anymore, so why would he want to coach here?

Reaction Score
Sadly.......another 1 win season in 2019. Then the turnaround begins in 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom