What's the call if . . . ? | The Boneyard

What's the call if . . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Suppose Caroline is bringing the ball upcourt near the Maryland bench. Out of the corner of her eye, she notices that Brenda Frese is, as usual, on the court shouting and gesticulating. Doty then makes an abrupt turn and tosses the ball at the Brendasaurus, hitting the coach who is clearly in bounds.

Is it a technical on Maryland? A UCONN technical because Doty's action was unsportsmanlike?

Any refs out there who know how the rules apply in such a situation?

Reaction Score
If Frese is on the court and Doty just passes it at Frese with no other UCONN player near Frese they would call out of bounds off UCONN. If Doty were to make contact with Frese while she was on the court it would be a technical foul on Maryland. This is not a very uncommon occurrence at all. Some coaches are on the court more than they are off it.

Reaction Score
If Frese is on the court and Doty just passes it at Frese with no other UCONN player near Frese they would call out of bounds off UCONN. If Doty were to make contact with Frese while she was on the court it would be a technical foul on Maryland. This is not a very uncommon occurrence at all. Some coaches are on the court more than they are off it.
Can we say Quentin Hillsman?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yet Geno can't get the T called on him when he ran way out into the front court when Kelly got hammered. CD had to call the AAA autoclub to get him back to the bench he was so far away from home.

Reaction Score

If Brenda is clearly on the court, inbounds, then how is it out of bounds on UConn? The ball is in play awaiting a player to take possession. And if Doty is passing the ball to a Uconn player and it hits the coach while she is visibly in bounds then it is a T on Maryland.

Reaction Score
Yet Geno can't get the T called on him when he ran way out into the front court when Kelly got hammered. CD had to call the AAA autoclub to get him back to the bench he was so far away from home.
Technically, Geno was at the end of his bench when he received the T. And it had little to do with his being on the court and more about what he might have said to the Ref. Geno is an Italian... We know how to get ourselves worked up quiet well ;)

Reaction Score
If Brenda is clearly on the court, inbounds, then how is it out of bounds on UConn? The ball is in play awaiting a player to take possession. And if Doty is passing the ball to a Uconn player and it hits the coach while she is visibly in bounds then it is a T on Maryland.

Did you read what I wrote? I don't think so because if you did you would know that what I said is if "Doty just passes it at Frese with no other UCONN player near Frese they would call out of bounds off UCONN". So if no player is near Frese how is she passing to another UCONN player? Now if a UConn player was making a play on the pass and it hit Frese it would be a TF but you can't just dribble up court see the opposing coach on the court with no one else near her and rifle a pass at her and expect for a T to be called.

Reaction Score
Did you read what I wrote? I don't think so because if you did you would know that what I said is if "Doty just passes it at Frese with no other UCONN player near Frese they would call out of bounds off UCONN". So if no player is near Frese how is she passing to another UCONN player? Now if a UConn player was making a play on the pass and it hit Frese it would be a TF but you can't just dribble up court see the opposing coach on the court with no one else near her and rifle a pass at her and expect for a T to be called.

You must not understand what you wrote, althought Doty intentionally rifled a pass at Frese , which is a ridiculous scenario that has never happened in the history of womens basketball, the ball did not go out of bounds because Frese was in bounds, so it is anyones ball to possess, not out of bounds on UConn. The basic scenario is so far fetched that the ref would probably not call a T on Doty because it would totally take them by surprise and lead to a play on. But just in case some player goes berserk one day, maybe you should write a rule covering this nonsense, just in case a player thinks like you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Technically, Geno was at the end of his bench when he received the T. And it had little to do with his being on the court and more about what he might have said to the Ref. Geno is an Italian... We know how to get ourselves worked up quiet well ;)
True, because CD had already brought him back from mid court so he went in the other direction. He had been way out of the coaching box and the announcers reported him out at mid court and trying to get the call. When he, finally, got the call it was as you said.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You must not understand what you wrote, althought Doty intentionally rifled a pass at Frese , which is a ridiculous scenario that has never happened in the history of womens basketball, the ball did not go out of bounds because Frese was in bounds, so it is anyones ball to possess, not out of bounds on UConn. The basic scenario is so far fetched that the ref would probably not call a T on Doty because it would totally take them by surprise and lead to a play on. But just in case some player goes berserk one day, maybe you should write a rule covering this nonsense, just in case a player thinks like you.
Forget passing it to her, just run into her.

Reaction Score

Wow, since you think you know the game so well lets just agree to disagree ok.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Forget passing it to her, just run into her.

This would be my choice. Many years ago, I was playing in what was supposed to be a fun softball game. Our ragtag coed team showed up and saw that many of the opposition were male, 30-40, and all had some serious softball skills. So we played, were getting pasted, but decided to have fun with it. In the top of the 9th, losing badly, a teammate hit a shot deep into the outfield. I was on first, rounded second, and the 3rd base coach was waving me home. As I turned the corner, I realized that between me and home plate was the guy that put the other team together, laughing that I was attempting to get home. In a split second, I lowered my left shoulder slightly, and in that moment, my husband just said oh god. He realized that I wasn't going to try to stop or pivot to run around the guy (after two ACL surgeries, not happening). Thankfully for him (he'd been drinking, it would have been messy), he stepped out of the way and I ran thru home plate. I then went looking for him but my teammates were wise to pull me back into the group. A body in motion vs a body at rest would have been very ugly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This would be my choice. Many years ago, I was playing in what was supposed to be a fun softball game. Our ragtag coed team showed up and saw that many of the opposition were male, 30-40, and all had some serious softball skills. So we played, were getting pasted, but decided to have fun with it. In the top of the 9th, losing badly, a teammate hit a shot deep into the outfield. I was on first, rounded second, and the 3rd base coach was waving me home. As I turned the corner, I realized that between me and home plate was the guy that put the other team together, laughing that I was attempting to get home. In a split second, I lowered my left shoulder slightly, and in that moment, my husband just said oh god. He realized that I wasn't going to try to stop or pivot to run around the guy (after two ACL surgeries, not happening). Thankfully for him (he'd been drinking, it would have been messy), he stepped out of the way and I ran thru home plate. I then went looking for him but my teammates were wise to pull me back into the group. A body in motion vs a body at rest would have been very ugly.
I have been on the receiving end of that collision at the plate. Bears don't move much. He, he, he. High school year book, actually, has a picture of me taking one at the plate.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have been on the receiving end of that collision at the plate. Bears don't move much. He, he, he. High school year book, actually, has a picture of me taking one at the plate.

Thankfully we were playing no slide softball so that no one would jam/sprain/blow up anything. Unfortunately for this guy, he was upright, standing there, not really paying attention, with a beer in one hand. He wasn't exactly anchored. It would have been ugly for him.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A beer is always a distraction. My coach taught me two things. 1) it is a mistake to anchor. 2) either stay loose and soft absorbing the shock like a crumple zone on a car of get lower than the other player. Served me well. Staying loose disperses the energy, staying low redirects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom