What's Left For Geno To Conquer...??? | The Boneyard

What's Left For Geno To Conquer...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just hope he sticks around until we get into a major conference. I fear UConn WBB will go the way of Old Dominion and La Tech if Geno retires before that.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not much. Has a chance to win one or two National Championships before he decides to hang them up. Don't see him getting the record for most wins as I think Tara will get that record and see her coaching at least as long as Geno does.

Reaction Score
Well, there are lots of ways to look at a life's work and worth. One is to see it in qualitative terms: how much money can one earn; who much of something can one accomplish? Another way is that of (most) excellent teachers: a compelling need to meet the next class each September, believing that one does something (and one never knows what that "thing" is) to help at least some of the students. I believe that Geno's a born teacher--of technical basketball mechanics, discipline, life lessons. It's hard to drag oneself in at first, because it does get a bit "old", but once engaged, I'm sure Geno will see challenges and rewards in everything he does.

So, I don't think there's a number out there (so many NC's that no one will ever catch him; more career wins that Pat Summit). Rather, one year he'll show up in September and feel that his heart's no longer in it. If it stays that way by Feb. or March, he'll announce his impending retirement and give UConn good lead time for his replacement. Alternatively, he'll figure out a way to stay involved until his then current crop of recruits graduate, but of course that could be too complex and take too long.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
More NCAA Championships. Each one he wins is with a different group of kids, so it's
not like he's doing the same thing over and over. Each new team is a new challenge.
I would be satisfied with 4 more before he retires. Go 15-0 in title games I could live with that.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Love this quote:

“I have been very fortunate to coach some of the most iconic players in the game, so the biggest challenge is next year, we don’t have [those UConn] greats next year or the year after that.

I don’t see anybody coming along that’s at that level, so all those people saying, ‘Now we’ll find out if he can coach or not.’ They’re going to get their wish come true the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
Love this quote:

“I have been very fortunate to coach some of the most iconic players in the game, so the biggest challenge is next year, we don’t have [those UConn] greats next year or the year after that.

I don’t see anybody coming along that’s at that level, so all those people saying, ‘Now we’ll find out if he can coach or not.’ They’re going to get their wish come true the next couple of years.
I would bet that any of those coaches out there that want to see if he can coach will certainly not want to see UCONN on there side of the NCAA Tournament bracket. Even without the best players in the country they will still be dangerous because of the way they play. You know their defense will be there, and they have some offensive weapons that will make them dangerous on any given night. I am really looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
Phil Jackson has won 11 titles as an nba coach so number 12 would give Geno the most championships when considering college or pro.I have no idea if that is important or not,but it would seem like a cherry on top of all those trophies to me.Whether or not having the most wins all time is something he yearns for, or not, is certainly important to us because it will mean he sticks around for many many more years and the wins will just follow the years.Also,if there are a bevy of super h.s.players out there who are clamoring to come to UCONN,then i would think that would make it more difficult for Geno to just walk away from coaching anytime soon.I personally think that he is in hyper motivation mode for this coming season just because UCONN isn't a clear favorite to absolutely smother all of the competition as they did last year.I would bet he has a lot of challenges that may just be small ones that we don't even consider,such as certain developmental issues in certain players,or seeing someone be the first one in their family to graduate from college.I even think these little things mean more to Geno,the enjoyment of which is most likely to keep him coaching more so than any macro goals.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
New relationships.

Stewarding new kids into adulthood? What could be better than that?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
He could mebbe be the first coach to coach into his 90s. That would be nice.

Reaction Score
Not a very good article, IMHO. Lots of speculation and not a lot to hang it on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when he gives Shea her "final exam test" and she passes with flying colors... then he'll hand over clipboard

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reinforce the foundations so that who ever takes over for him both as National Team and UCONN coach can sustain UCONN better than John Wooden's successor did @UCLA. In the process he will prove so many BYers wrong-again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom