What's happened to this board? | The Boneyard

What's happened to this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two games into the season and this board has been a nightmare. People trashing players, trashing Hurley, saying they know how to run offense better than Hurley, urging a player to quit the team etc.

Things that are said here never really surprise me but this seems so much worse than normal and I don't understand it. We now have people in the Vandy Legends Classic thread jumping to ridiculous conclusions and some flat out lying.

Reaction Score
Two things are guaranteed to happen every season:

1. People will compare an incoming freshman's Ball is Life highlights to an existing player's performance at UConn to proclaim the incoming freshmen better than the player who's already here.

2. As soon as they don't beat an inferior team by 40 a certain segment of the board will do a 180 on the team's prospects.

It's like clockwork.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's a pandemic...people's brains have been fried by Twitter and election coverage. And we've reached a point in America where you can say what you want, when you want, and it doesn't matter what you know or what your facts/basis are. The internet, technology, and 2 party system were great until they weren't. Welcome to the madness.

Reaction Score
It has been ridiculous yet I’ve kind of missed it. In reality, UConn’s next game will be more like their season opener. They had a few practices before the Central game after 2 weeks off. Every perimeter player has been beaten off the dribble easily. Well, for 14 days guys had a couple hours to shoot around on their own...I’m sure they weren’t practicing defensive slides during this time and none of us would’ve either.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Usually this post comes in January. I think we’re doing well. Taliek Brown hasn’t been brought up yet, no mention of Wagner or Northeastern, and no mention of Ollie’s bar tabs the night before games.

I see positivity!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Usually this post comes in January. I think we’re doing well. Taliek Brown hasn’t been brought up yet, no mention of Wagner or Northeastern, and no mention of Ollie’s bar tabs the night before games.

I see positivity!
Agree. It’s a little early for the inevitable “what happened to The Boneyard“ post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Two games into the season and this board has been a nightmare. People trashing players, trashing Hurley, saying they know how to run offense better than Hurley, urging a player to quit the team etc.

Things that are said here never really surprise me but this seems so much worse than normal and I don't understand it. We now have people in the Vandy Legends Classic thread jumping to ridiculous conclusions and some flat out lying.

Well we've been trashing Hurley's offense since he was at URI. If you go back to those "who should we hire" threads, most people wanted Hurley, and many people didn't like his offense. I didn't then and still don't now. Maybe we just haven't seen it run well? I am very happy he is our coach, his recruiting has been stellar and he brings the kind of attitude that UConn needs on the sideline.

So far I think this is nothing but a fanbase with lofty expectations, meeting the reality of a team that had no preseason, minimal summer practice and missed the two weeks immediately before the season with no team activities. Hurley said he has a lot to work on, and I think we agree.

Reaction Score

That all sounds pretty standard around here.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Two things are guaranteed to happen every season:

1. People will compare an incoming freshman's Ball is Life highlights to an existing player's performance at UConn to proclaim the incoming freshmen better than the player who's already here.

2. As soon as they don't beat an inferior team by 40 a certain segment of the board will do a 180 on the team's prospects.

It's like clockwork.
It's called Boneyardin'.

Reaction Score
Its called a message board. Anyone who makes a ridiculous post gets called out on it, its part of the deal. In 2020 if were complaining on basketball related topics and not the pandemic or politics ill take it, as ridiculous as some hot takes are. Its actually refreshing.

Reaction Score
We’ve also had the total other end of the spectrum where good players are compared to legends 2 games into their career

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Much to everyone’s relief I’m sure, the yard has been bad enough to keep me mostly away. It’s just not fun anymore. It’s like you all forgot about mojo.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Season 3, Game 2, and we're bringing it!

Just as I'm not going to try and stop the stream from rushing on this rainy day, I gotta let this go.

Reaction Score
I've been off the board a while now, and have only been here a year, but from what I know, it doesn't surprise me. Crappy if you ask me.

I will bring my usual rant here. Why is Bill Walton on!!!!!! My lord, this guy. Isn't he at risk for covid? To his benefit (yes I can be nice about him), he is doing decent commentary today. Must be the mushroom microdosing aftereffects from Oregin we're hearing.

Let's go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
It's a pandemic...people's brains have been fried by Twitter and election coverage. And we've reached a point in America where you can say what you want, when you want, and it doesn't matter what you know or what your facts/basis are. The internet, technology, and 2 party system were great until they weren't. Welcome to the madness.

Actually, the Boneyard may be one of the few places left where you can say what you want as long as you're not berating someone or being personally offensive. You're right that you can say whatever you want but in today's world those (other than the Boneyard) in control are censoring what gets posted.

If you don't believe it read 1984 and Animal Farm, or if it's been a long time, read them again, and you'll find "Big Brother" turns out to be big media, Twitter, Facebook, and other "platforms" that have begun to "cancel" or shut down users based solely on some "techies'" whims, company policies or personally held beliefs. No first amendment rights. In Animal Farm, slight changes made to posted principles markedly change their meanings and intent and that's happening to what some people are actually saying today as well.

What I miss is directly hearing or reading the actual words of the person being quoted so I can decide what they meant. You know, like Chief's Briefs! ;)

Reaction Score
I would think everybody is pretty excited about the season, and there is a lot to be excited about. Having an opinion as to the quality of play, offensive and defensive schemes, etc. would seem like fair game for a board about basketball. The difference between trashing players and recognizing weaknesses is always a thin line. As for DH, he gets paid a nice sum of money and is fair game. With a base spoiled by one of the greatest hoops coaches of all time, he is going to be measured against a high bar by people with long memories. DH has shown himself to be great motivator and great recruiter. The rest remains to be played out and open for debate as his player talent pool is greatly improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom