What's Going On With Kia Nurse? | The Boneyard

What's Going On With Kia Nurse?

Reaction Score
Her shooting has tanked recently. She's just 10 for 45 her past five games, all of which her team has lost. She's had bad individual games before. But until this nearly three wee-long streak began on July 24, she had been 13 for 26 her previous three games. Her minutes are also way down. During those five games, the longest she's been on the court was 27 minutes in her last game. Before this rough streak, she was on the floor for 30 minutes or more most games.

Wonder what's going on.....?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Her shooting has tanked recently. She's just 10 for 45 her past five games, all of which her team has lost. She's had bad individual games before. But until this nearly three wee-long streak began on July 24, she had been 13 for 26 her previous three games. Her minutes are also way down. During those five games, the longest she's been on the court was 27 minutes in her last game. Before this rough streak, she was on the floor for 30 minutes or more most games.

Wonder what's going on.....?

Basketball is a game of streaks, and almost all players have slumps, so I'm not sure I'd worry too much (and her reduced minutes may just be the coaches' recognition that a slumping player isn't as useful on the floor).

But one thing to consider is that her slump/their losing streak has come against several of the top teams in league: Seattle, Chicago, and Connecticut. Indeed, 8 of the Liberty's last 9 games have come against teams in the top half of the league standings. So part of that is just that Nourse will shine a bit less when she's taking on the very best competition. I imagine she'll play her way out of it, and having their next five games be against Minnesota, Dallas, Phoenix, Indiana, and Atlanta will help, because those teams are the other five teams in the bottom half of the league alongside New York.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Basketball is a game of streaks, and almost all players have slumps, so I'm not sure I'd worry too much (and her reduced minutes may just be the coaches' recognition that a slumping player isn't as useful on the floor).

But one thing to consider is that her slump/their losing streak has come against several of the top teams in league: Seattle, Chicago, and Connecticut. Indeed, 8 of the Liberty's last 9 games have come against teams in the top half of the league standings. So part of that is just that Nourse will shine a bit less when she's taking on the very best competition. I imagine she'll play her way out of it, and having their next five games be against Minnesota, Dallas, Phoenix, Indiana, and Atlanta will help, because those teams are the other five teams in the bottom half of the league alongside New York.

I hope so but as I mentioned on another thread, I went to the Storm / Liberty game and she did not look confident on the offensive end at all. Part of it I think is the quality of the screen actions are not very good and maybe she is trying to much on the defensive side and it is affecting her but she is not shooting well or driving to the basket effectively as much.

Reaction Score
Last night she was just 5 for 15, and 1 for three from outside. So for the past six games, she has made just 15 of 60 shots, and just 25% of her threes as well (5 for 25).

Tough stretch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last night she was just 5 for 15, and 1 for three from outside. So for the past six games, she has made just 15 of 60 shots, and just 25% of her threes as well (5 for 25).

Tough stretch.

But at least in the last game, she was getting inside more and attacking. But this season has become a horror show. Smith needs to go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Robin (Kia in this case) was never going to be at her best when Batman (Tina Charles in this case) is having arguably her worst season since her rookie campaign. Tina is shooting 38% from the field this season.

Reaction Score
Kia rebounded last night with a 17 point game. But she was 0-4 from three point range. So she's 5 for 29 from outside over that now seven-game stretch.

But good to see that inside the arc, she shot better- 4-5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia rebounded last night with a 17 point game. But she was 0-4 from three point range. So she's 5 for 29 from outside over that now seven-game stretch.

But good to see that inside the arc, she shot better- 4-5.

and more importantly, she played aggressively as evidenced by 9-11 from the FT line.

Reaction Score
Her last eight games, Kia is 6 for 35 from outside, less than 20%. Her previous six games she was 13 for 28.

Wonder what's going on....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Shes always been on the streakier side. She'll benefit big time from Ionescu or Cox if they can land either of them next year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Her last eight games, Kia is 6 for 35 from outside, less than 20%. Her previous six games she was 13 for 28.

Wonder what's going on....

Poor offensive design and constant losing messing with her equilibrium. :(

At least she seems to be getting back to the FT line

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia having a good start to the game in Indiana. 3-4 from 3 and Tina is having a herculean game so far with 18 pts with 2' still left in first half

Reaction Score
Kia shot 6-8 overall and 4-5 from the arc for 20 points tonight. She found her stroke.
It also helped that the Liberty played the Fever. The Liberty and Fever ranked 1 and 3 in points allowed this season.

Reaction Score
It also helped that the Liberty played the Fever. The Liberty and Fever ranked 1 and 3 in points allowed this season.
Sometimes that’s exactly what you need to get your confidence/rhythm back. I hope she goes into their game against the Dream with the same shooting touch she had this game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Y'all should have some more faith in your alums. [/QUOTE said:
So guess which Liberty players were UConn Alums. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sometimes that’s exactly what you need to get your confidence/rhythm back. I hope she goes into their game against the Dream with the same shooting touch she had this game.
I would expect Kia to have a second consecutive strong performance against the WNBA laggard Dream. I didn't mean to denigrate Kia's performance this year which has been outstanding. The grind of the WNBA wears even on Superstars. Later in the season as you encounter a string of strong defensive teams it's completely understandable performance lags. Against the bottom third of the WNBA I would not be at all surprised to see Kia regain her "stroke"..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom