What's going on with Anna?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's going on with Anna??

Reaction Score
Let’s cheerlead for Anna.
I for one am so Delighted we have games to watch! These gals want to play so let’s be grateful for each and every game and each and every player. I feel so lucky to have watched, cheered and even yelled at the TV sometimes in these games. I bet you are also Delighted to have these games to watch too!

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I thought her name was Anna?

Actually Makurat's name is Ania. Basically the Polish form of Anna. But because most American's are simpletons when it comes to foreign names, a lot of foreigners will make it easy on us. She's just following "Luigi". ;)
I believe you are incorrect. In a Courant article last year I'm pretty sure that it was clarified that her name is Anna and her nickname (which she was reported to prefer) is Ania.

Reaction Score
One of my current great mysteries; why are people mangling Anna’s name? I mean, I can understand Piath, Ododa, even Aubrey but Anna?
See #22 above.

Reaction Score
We have more players who can score this year. I don’t think she needs to score as often and is focused on other parts of her game. She has been a little off so far but I am not worried so far. Still early in the season.

Reaction Score
Sophomore slump anyone? Geno seems to think she'll come out of it, I'm good with that. ;)

Reaction Score
I think Anna is saving her best performance for the Baylor game. She plans on shutting a lot of people’s lips! Prove me right Anna!!!!
Hopefully she is not thinking ahead to that re match with Lithuania..
Crushing I Love You GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Not much to say. Ania is a streak shooter and an above-average passer. She is playing because there is no reliable markswoman to take her place. She is neither quick nor agile, but she can account for some points; that's why she's playing. Next year we'll get a great outside threat in Azzi, and Ania will sit and come in as a sub.
I dislike disparaging players, and I know Ania is making every effort to contribute. But do you want the ball in her hands with the game on the line?
Above average passer? Total rot. Great passer. As for Azzi, maybe. We will see. But let’s not anoint the unproven yet. That is just silly.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe you are incorrect. In a Courant article last year I'm pretty sure that it was clarified that her name is Anna and her nickname (which she was reported to prefer) is Ania.
It's possible. But I've never seen anything indicating that. I just know that prior to her coming to UCONN everything I read about her was Ania. Since she got to America, it's Anna.

Either way, I'll still call her Makurat.

Reaction Score
Biff, I believe you are correct. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that her name is Anna. Ania is the nickname for Anna, sort of like "Bobby" for Robert.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaching staff has all the input they need over the last season and a half, and will not be looking to the the Polish team or (God help us) the Boneyard for inspiration.​
Listening GIF by TLC

I'm hearing the air being let out of 50 balloons.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It's possible. But I've never seen anything indicating that. I just know that prior to her coming to UCONN everything I read about her was Ania. Since she got to America, it's Anna.

Either way, I'll still call her Makurat.
Well FWIW this is the article from the Courant I was remembering:

"Here’s what you should know about Makurat:

Q: Wait, I thought her name was Anna Makurat, not Ania. Can you clarify?

A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Ania Makurat? A big Diana Taurasi fan. By DAN BRECHLIN HARTFORD COURANT | MAY 04, 2019 AT 3:23 PM

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Ania Makurat? A big Diana Taurasi fan. By DAN BRECHLIN HARTFORD COURANT | MAY 04, 2019 AT 3:23 PM
Good info. I was not aware of her name preference and I'm a big fan of calling people by their preferred name. Ania it is! Thanks.

Any idea of the correct pronunciation? an-yah? ahn-ee-uh? Something else? "PronounceNames.com" indicates the former but there seems to be dissention in the comments section ('cause it's the ******* internet!). Going with an-yah 'til I hear different.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Anna is playing a different position from last season. Just as it did Napheesa Collier her Junior season, it is taking Anna time to adjust. Collier was an AA her Sophomore season but slipped a bit her Junior year adjusting to the position change, caused by Z being on the team. If it takes an AA time to adjust, it is certainly understandable that Anna will need time to adjust.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

A

I don't think I'd call Ania a nickname. It's the Polish version of Anna. They may in fact have named her Anna, but she prefers Ania, because well that's the Polish name. They named Alexandra, Aleksandra. And Agatha, Agata. Seems weird they would use Anna instead of Ania. But, if that's what's been reported. So be it.

Still Makurat to me.

Reaction Score
It is so early in the season and games have been so completely spaced out, Geno hasn't had a chance to evaluate who should be playing and who should be sitting. the y need reps in real games to see where it all plays out. anna, like many other players are feeling their way through trying to get some cohesion. he is playing her because he feels that she will come around and i do to. It will take a little time for everything to mesh the way he wants, but you have to play some games for that to happen and we have had an enormous amount of breaks because of the virus. Practice time is fine, but the real games show where the improvements need to be made.

Reaction Score
AM is totally out of position at the 4 and hasn't adapted to it yet and may never. I would rather see Evina over CW or Anna at one of the elbow positions in the 1-4 or "horns" offense. I think Evina can make more plays off of it and she certainly can finish a drive. Anna simply doesn't finish unless there is nobody there. She is better on the perimeter for a 3 or as a primary or secondary passer than as a PF.

Reaction Score
My last name is only 4 letters. Nobody can spell, but I don't care. It's not that important. Also, I've had students from other countries. Most hated their names because it made them feel uncomfortable to be called that name in this country. A student from India was called by his Americanized name Bobby, which never fit him, so everyone went back to calling him Bhavik. Either way, in this day and age, it's not important to me that people can't spell my name. There are more important events in the world to be concerned about.

Reaction Score
It was stated early in the Providence game that Edwards was starting because the Friars had 2 tall, talented players and Geno wanted more size! It really had nothing to Ania!
Not starting may have been good for Ania as she hit her first 3 3-pointers!

Reaction Score
Not much to say. Ania is a streak shooter and an above-average passer. She is playing because there is no reliable markswoman to take her place. She is neither quick nor agile, but she can account for some points; that's why she's playing. Next year we'll get a great outside threat in Azzi, and Ania will sit and come in as a sub.
I dislike disparaging players, and I know Ania is making every effort to contribute. But do you want the ball in her hands with the game on the line?
No, but it is more likely the ball will get to the right player when she is in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom