What's behind string of injuries at UConn, other women's basketball programs? Experts weigh in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's behind string of injuries at UConn, other women's basketball programs? Experts weigh in

sun

Reaction Score
Could some of it be "over protection"? I noticed in the Kutztown game that none of the Kutztown players wore any of those protective wraps around their arms or legs.
On the UCONN side EVERY player except 1 had them on arms, legs, or on both arms and legs.
I'd never call any of it over protection.
Wraps can provide comforting warmth & compression to joints and muscles.
The floor is like cement.
Perhaps UConn provides it while other schools don't, and it coordinates with their uniforms.
Some may find wrappings to be restrictive or uncomfortable while others don't because they get used to it or believe that it provides a benefit.
It's like wearing eye glasses instead of contact lenses, players can have different reasons for wearing them.
But once they decide to wear something it becomes part of their personal uniform/ equipment.
Then they won't worry about wishing that they could put it on during a game because they already made the decision to wear it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've tested the thought with physical therapists and orthopedic doctors that total focus on one sport is a contributing factor to injuries, knees in particular. Most agree. I have no personal knowledge other than seeing 15-20%+ of my daughter's team get injuried every year.

Reaction Score
Are you old enough to remember the rubber based, all purpose Tartan floors that some schools invested in for low maintenance back in the early '70s? Your bolded line reminded me of the ungodly amount of foot, ankle, and knee injuries that sprung from that misguided idea. The shoes back then being so inferior to today's compounded the problem and yes, I was a victim of one grade 2 and one grade 3 ankle tears. At least those floors disappeared pretty quickly.
UConn men's varsity BB played on a Tartan floor in the old field house while I was there in the early 70's. I played many hours on it as well, and suffered a few ankle sprains.... :)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There have been years when UConn has been hit by multiple injuries. Ditto with other programs. Sue Bird played soccer, and yet... Shea struggled with eating disorders and so (?), Sveta hurt her foot... Injuries happen.

What I would argue is that most medicine (and medical research) is focus on/by men. Until that changes, we're always going to "wonder why."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom