What's behind string of injuries at UConn, other women's basketball programs? Experts weigh in | The Boneyard

What's behind string of injuries at UConn, other women's basketball programs? Experts weigh in

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Note from HuskyNan - please don’t violate copyright laws by copying and pasting articles in their entirety

Is specialization the culprit?
“Today’s athletes are specializing in one specific sport at a younger age than ever before, which seemingly adds stress to the body and increases the risk of injury. “

"What we find in young athletes is if they are specializing too soon in one particular sport and they are playing too much, they are more likely to have overuse injuries," said Kathy Dieringer, EdD, LAT, ATC, the president of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA).”
Fitting a theory to the data?

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This should not be a surprise to anyone. How many of us played sports in high school. We were encouraged o play more than one sport. It was good for us because we had to develop multiple skills.

I think with the advent of "helicopter parents" the emphasis of a well round athlete went to one sport athlete to get that big college scholarship.

Reaction Score
To me, this is a common sense no-brainer. One sport from a young age combined with no down time from that same young age is a recipe for serious injury. It is pretty much right out in the open for all to see, through medical studies, data and anecdotally, but largely ignored. I blame parents for not doing their due diligence. Cottage industries have opened up for virtually all youth sports for training, coaching, etc. which sells the specialization concept. Money talks………

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This should not be a surprise to anyone. How many of us played sports in high school. We were encouraged o play more than one sport. It was good for us because we had to develop multiple skills.

I think with the advent of "helicopter parents" the emphasis of a well round athlete went to one sport athlete to get that big college scholarship.

There comes a time when it gets difficult to play multiple sports. That’s not due to helicopter parenting so much as stepping up to AAU which ends up being a year-round commitment. If your child wants to compete at a higher level that is the commitment.

Reaction Score
There comes a time when it gets difficult to play multiple sports. That’s not due to helicopter parenting so much as stepping up to AAU which ends up being a year-round commitment. If your child wants to compete at a higher level that is the commitment.
you have the right and ability to say no to the AAU fact is if you have the game then it will speak for you. There are countless examples of great athletes starting out late when picking up their sport choice.. It's mostly the parents using their child as a lottery ticket and hoping to hit it big when the reality is your child has a greater chance of being President or an astronaut than being a professional athlete. We are just dealing with the negative effects of so much money in sports and it will only get worse now that college and High school (Bronny James) are able to get NIL deals it will be the gold rush of 1849 all over again and it has already began

Reaction Score
Not a great athlete myself, by any means. Never played varsity in anything. But in my neighborhood we divided the year up by whatever sport we were playing in the street. Baseball - Basketball - Football. And with each season, you had to recover your form and footwork from the previous year. When Baseball would start, you'd have a sore arm for a week in one place. Then when Basketball started, you'd have sore arms in another place. And Football was worst of all -- sore all over.

Reaction Score

Pretty spot on. We wanted to play multiple sports growing up. Basketball in the winter, Baseball in the spring, and Football during the Fall. And you are correct, it was a great way to develop multiple skills.

Reaction Score
Not a great athlete myself, by any means. Never played varsity in anything. But in my neighborhood we divided the year up by whatever sport we were playing in the street. Baseball - Basketball - Football. And with each season, you had to recover your form and footwork from the previous year. When Baseball would start, you'd have a sore arm for a week in one place. Then when Basketball started, you'd have sore arms in another place. And Football was worst of all -- sore all over.
and there were sports that we played that were original like stickball, four square, wallball off of your building and running the bases or my favorite round-up tag and you were always it because someone would always free up the people you rounded up and of course, skelly, red rover, kick the can of course this is before the vegetation era or as we call it video games

Reaction Score
I disagree vehemently, it is a way, not the only way. And if you think it proper for a parent to risk serious injury to their child so they can step “up to AAU”, we just disagree. AAU basketball is, in large part, an exploitative money maker, not all programs and not all coaches, but way too many for my taste. It has become the jumping off point of the massive exploitation many of our esteemed universities have practiced forever.
Personally, my son played varsity soccer and basketball for 3 years at one of the major northern NJ parochial schools and high level D2 basketball and never played a minute of anything but local, regional AAU, something not even remotely comparable to what you are referring to.

CL82

Reaction Score
you have the right and ability to say no to the AAU fact is if you have the game then it will speak for you. There are countless examples of great athletes starting out late when picking up their sport choice.. It's mostly the parents using their child as a lottery ticket and hoping to hit it big when the reality is your child has a greater chance of being President or an astronaut than being a professional athlete. We are just dealing with the negative effects of so much money in sports and it will only get worse now that college and High school (Bronny James) are able to get NIL deals it will be the gold rush of 1849 all over again and it has already began
I guess, but that seems a bit off topic. Most kids participate in sports because they enjoy them. Most also want to play with and against the best competition because it’s more fun.

Often, the simplest answer is probably the correct.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Could some of it be "over protection"? I noticed in the Kutztown game that none of the Kutztown players wore any of those protective wraps around their arms or legs.
On the UCONN side EVERY player except 1 had them on arms, legs, or on both arms and legs.

CL82

Reaction Score
I disagree vehemently, it is a way, not the only way. And if you think it proper for a parent to risk serious injury to their child so they can step “up to AAU”, we just disagree. AAU basketball is, in large part, an exploitative money maker, not all programs and not all coaches, but way too many for my taste. It has become the jumping off point of the massive exploitation many of our esteemed universities have practiced forever.
Personally, my son played varsity soccer and basketball for 3 years at one of the major northern NJ parochial schools and high level D2 basketball and never played a minute of anything but local, regional AAU, something not even remotely comparable to what you are referring to.
Wow, that’s a whole lot projection isn’t it?

First, let me clear the strawman arguments out of the way. Please go back to my post and find where it says that I said AAU is “the only way“. I didn’t.

Ironically enough though, you indicated that your son did play AAU. Which I found kind of funny after you so enthusiastically decried it.

I fully agree that many AAU programs are money making ventures. You somehow seem angry about that, though it’s not clear to me why. I’m pretty sure whatever you’re wearing whatever you eat and whatever you’re driving we’re all provided to you by “money making ventures.” That’s pretty much the engine that makes our society run. If you wanted though, you can always limit your child’s participation to recreational sports. You chose not to. For what it’s worth it was probably the right decision.

I laughed a bit that you gave me your child’s bona fides in athletics. What, exactly do you think I was “referring to“ that your sons experience “wasn’t remotely comparable to.” My post was pretty benign and I’m having a hard time seeing what’s lit this fire under you. Go back and read it and let me know.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oft heard in the clifhut 'young man, why are your pants ripped again? we can't afford kevlar clothes!'
playing football on the ashphalt trained me well for later in life when playing hoops in those cheesy gyms with the walls 4 feet from the baseline, or the ones with stages, were on the menu. 'drive him into the wall' was something i learned people said much later in life at Waterford. not me, i ain't no race car driver, moar like racecar driver coffee delivery person.
it's bad nowadays. real bad. no 'breadth of experience' going on.
shovel ur drive? cash and good exercise. gone.
rope swing at the lake? lawyers on speed dial.
lawn darts and slip n slide? u'll shoot ur eye out.
'hydration bottles.' hydration bottles? what's wrong, the hosepipe ain't good enuf for you?

i like those world leading physicist types who spent uni days learning finger painting or african dance. they smart.
childhood is best spent deeply involved in cross training.
u learn a lot jumping roofs, or being the kid with confidence telling ur pals at that time 'u nutz? i ain't doing that, i intend to live to see family guy tonite.'
i've been working with a program of, ummm, errr, .... disadvantaged children (people get mad when i say 'poor kids') in New Haven for a good while. front row seat on the changes. every time we do a field trip seemingly half the gang enjoys enlightenment for what used to be normal kid stuff. listen in:
'uh cliff, why is there smoke coming up over there? everything ok?'
'better than ok, they're getting experience and wisdom.'
'experience and wisdom, aboot what?'
'learning to use a lighter to start a campfire. can't u hear the squeals of laughter as they rag on each other over who can burn their thumb less learning how to use one?'
i get yelled at, a lot, but not by physicists.

Reaction Score
oft heard in the clifhut 'young man, why are your pants ripped again? we can't afford kevlar clothes!'
playing football on the ashphalt trained me well for later in life when playing hoops in those cheesy gyms with the walls 4 feet from the baseline, or the ones with stages, were on the menu. 'drive him into the wall' was something i learned people said much later in life at Waterford. not me, i ain't no race car driver, moar like racecar driver coffee delivery person.
it's bad nowadays. real bad. no 'breadth of experience' going on.
shovel ur drive? cash and good exercise. gone.
rope swing at the lake? lawyers on speed dial.
lawn darts and slip n slide? u'll shoot ur eye out.
'hydration bottles.' hydration bottles? what's wrong, the hosepipe ain't good enuf for you?

i like those world leading physicist types who spent uni days learning finger painting or african dance. they smart.
childhood is best spent deeply involved in cross training.
u learn a lot jumping roofs, or being the kid with confidence telling ur pals at that time 'u nutz? i ain't doing that, i intend to live to see family guy tonite.'
i've been working with a program of, ummm, errr, .... disadvantaged children (people get mad when i say 'poor kids') in New Haven for a good while. front row seat on the changes. every time we do a field trip seemingly half the gang enjoys enlightenment for what used to be normal kid stuff. listen in:
'uh cliff, why is there smoke coming up over there? everything ok?'
'better than ok, they're getting experience and wisdom.'
'experience and wisdom, aboot what?'
'learning to use a lighter to start a campfire. can't u hear the squeals of laughter as they rag on each other over who can burn their thumb less learning how to use one?'
i get yelled at, a lot, but not by physicists.
"hosepipe."

I get laughed at for saying that. Was beginning to think that nobody outside of Greenville, SC ever used that word. I only hear hose, water hose or garden hose.

Sorry for the digression. Carry on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I certainly don't blame parents or children for aiming at a athletic scholarship - the value of a 4 year education at a top school even before stipends and NIL was $103K in-state state school, $174K out of state, and $218K at a private school. At an Ivy or Stanford or Duke or equivalent it is $300K+/-. For an average family that is a lottery ticket win.

The idea of over-specialization and overuse being a factor in injuries has been around for a long time as has the idea of early specialization stunting the balanced development of bodies. (Cross training even became a marketing strategy for shoes.) But it is also true that nutrition and training are pushing humans to the edge of the perfromance envelope of what our biological structures can withstand. We jump higher, run faster, lift greater weights, etc. than ever before and that puts greater stress on bones, and tendons that are not getting appreciable stronger. And while our equipment evolves to cushion us better, things like tread grip on sneakers may create problems too by allowing quicker stops and changes in direction that stress joints more even to the point of creating new injury classifications like 'turf-toe' in football.

Also in basketball and volleyball where height is at a premium the athletes represent the very top end of the height curve for the population at large - about 1% of US women are 6' or taller - and that height is often achieved with growth spurts of long bones where other tissues (muscle, cartilage, tendons) need to 'catch up' causing imbalanced development. That could account for more issues for athletes in those and similar sports.

Reaction Score
Wow, that’s a whole lot projection isn’t it?

First, let me clear the strawman arguments out of the way. Please go back to my post and find where it says that I said AAU is “the only way“. I didn’t.

Ironically enough though, you indicated that your son did play AAU. Which I found kind of funny after you so enthusiastically decried it.

I fully agree that many AAU programs are money making ventures. You somehow seem angry about that, though it’s not clear to me why. I’m pretty sure whatever you’re wearing whatever you eat and whatever you’re driving we’re all provided to you by “money making ventures.” That’s pretty much the engine that makes our society run. If you wanted though, you can always limit your child’s participation to recreational sports. You chose not to. For what it’s worth it was probably the right decision.

I laughed a bit that you gave me your child’s bona fides in athletics. What, exactly do you think I was “referring to“ that your sons experience “wasn’t remotely comparable to.” My post was pretty benign and I’m having a hard time seeing what’s lit this fire under you. Go back and read it and let me know.
Nice extremely selective argument back, completely disregarding the points I attempted to make.
For the record, what set me off was your assertion that parents should accept the possibility of putting their children in harm’s way to step up and pray at the altar of AAU basketball. Maybe that’s not what you meant, but that’s what you wrote.
My last word, have a good day.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nice extremely selective argument back, completely disregarding the points I attempted to make.
For the record, what set me off was your assertion that parents should accept the possibility of putting their children in harm’s way to step up and pray at the altar of AAU basketball. Maybe that’s not what you meant, but that’s what you wrote.
My last word, have a good day.
Yeah, again you’re making up strawman arguments that you can then shoot down. Please show me where I posted that “parents should accept the possibility of putting their children in harms way to step up and pray at the altar of AAU basketball” because I’m pretty sure I didn’t… Lol.

Again, I have to laugh at your very spirited criticisms of AAU basketball as being a great evil, and yet, you’ve indicated that your son played it in AAU. I am seeing a little bit of disconnect there, unless it didn’t go the way you anticipated.

Let me offer some unsolicited advice from one Jersey guy to another. Perhaps it would be more useful for you to actually quote the passages that you find are offending you? I think then you might realize that you’re really just arguing with yourself about things no one else has said.

You have a good day too now.

Reaction Score
Became involved in sports in Jr High.
Had what is now known as ADD.
Single Mom said no to drugs (thank God)
Needed something to burn up all my energy and hyperactivity. And quiet me down.
Sports did it.
Football (had to look the game up in the Encyclopedia ( dating myself, no?) to get the gist of it.
Coach told me I was a defensive end- I told him I couldn’t catch (duh).
Also wrestling and lacrosse-which paid for college.
Broken foot, broken nose, muscle pulls, but never anything major- but have been steps away from broken necks, snapped limbs, dislocations, separations and destroyed teeth.
Me- in shape ( then) and very fortunate.
Still decent shape??

Reaction Score
I certainly don't blame parents or children for aiming at a athletic scholarship - the value of a 4 year education at a top school even before stipends and NIL was $103K in-state state school, $174K out of state, and $218K at a private school. At an Ivy or Stanford or Duke or equivalent it is $300K+/-. For an average family that is a lottery ticket win.

The idea of over-specialization and overuse being a factor in injuries has been around for a long time as has the idea of early specialization stunting the balanced development of bodies. (Cross training even became a marketing strategy for shoes.) But it is also true that nutrition and training are pushing humans to the edge of the perfromance envelope of what our biological structures can withstand. We jump higher, run faster, lift greater weights, etc. than ever before and that puts greater stress on bones, and tendons that are not getting appreciable stronger. And while our equipment evolves to cushion us better, things like tread grip on sneakers may create problems too by allowing quicker stops and changes in direction that stress joints more even to the point of creating new injury classifications like 'turf-toe' in football.

Also in basketball and volleyball where height is at a premium the athletes represent the very top end of the height curve for the population at large - about 1% of US women are 6' or taller - and that height is often achieved with growth spurts of long bones where other tissues (muscle, cartilage, tendons) need to 'catch up' causing imbalanced development. That could account for more issues for athletes in those and similar sports.
Are you old enough to remember the rubber based, all purpose Tartan floors that some schools invested in for low maintenance back in the early '70s? Your bolded line reminded me of the ungodly amount of foot, ankle, and knee injuries that sprung from that misguided idea. The shoes back then being so inferior to today's compounded the problem and yes, I was a victim of one grade 2 and one grade 3 ankle tears. At least those floors disappeared pretty quickly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
) and high school levels. There comes a time when it gets difficult to play multiple sports. That’s not due to helicopter parenting so much as stepping up to AAU which ends up being a year-round commitment. If your child wants to compete at a higher level that is the commitment.
I taught for 30+ years in public schools on the middle (junior high) and high school levels. Helicopter parents definitely had a big influence. Many spent money an trainers, special schools and camps. Actually it still happens today except it is now acceptable behavior. That's the AAU programs.

CL82

Reaction Score
I taught for 30+ years in public schools on the middle (junior high) and high school levels. Helicopter parents definitely had a big influence. Many spent money an trainers, special schools and camps. Actually it still happens today except it is now acceptable behavior. That's the AAU programs.
Sure I’ve seen a helicopter parents in my world too. They’ve always been around, albeit without the label. For what it’s worth, I’d say the major difference is the degree to which kids today are comfortable with it. We would’ve died 1000 deaths to avoid having our parents lobbying a coach back in the day.

In any event, the premise that I disagree with is that kids are specializing in a single sport solely because their parents want them to do self for some nefarious reason. In my experience it’s more because of the demands of a particular program.

Here was my sons experience. In about the seventh grade and he was participating with two sports teams. One was the seasonal team and the other was a program that he belonged in year-round. He discussed the limitations of his participation with both coaches and how he would handle overlaps. Both coaches graciously agreed. Early on in the season, he came to me and said that with demands of both programs he didn’t feel as if he was “being a good teammate“ because he was always missing some thing, whether it was a practice or a game. I asked him what he wanted to do and he told me he wanted to continue in his year-long program and drop the seasonal sport. I told him that he had made a commitment so he needed to go and discuss it with his coach, who, thanked him for coming to him and agreed to let him drop the seasonal sport.

There’s only so much that you can do in a day, and my rule for my kids has always been as long as you meet your commitments, particularly to schooling, you can do whatever you’d like. Eventually, though, it gets to be too much. Specializing, makes it easier.

Just my opinion.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Some
Could some of it be "over protection"? I noticed in the Kutztown game that none of the Kutztown players wore any of those protective wraps around their arms or legs.
On the UCONN side EVERY player except 1 had them on arms, legs, or on both arms and legs.
Some of the protective wrap is for covering the tattoos on the player's arms, legs, or other places on the body.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom