What's a "dagger" anyway? | The Boneyard

What's a "dagger" anyway?

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Watched a ton of basketball during the blizzard and heard that term used way too early in the game, like with six minutes left. Maybe it's just me but I think a dagger is:
a three pointer;
happens very late in the game, three minutes or less;
comes pretty close to putting the game away, in a demoralizing way - a dagger to the heart.

Can there be more than one dagger in a game? Yeah maybe.

Reaction Score
I think there can be more than one. A "dagger" could be a late shot clock three that extends a lead and opponent need to call a TO for example

Reaction Score
Watched a ton of basketball during the blizzard and heard that term used way too early in the game, like with six minutes left. Maybe it's just me but I think a dagger is:
a three pointer;
happens very late in the game, three minutes or less;
comes pretty close to putting the game away, in a demoralizing way - a dagger to the heart.

Can there be more than one dagger in a game? Yeah maybe.
Imo a dagger is just a momentum killer. Like if a team is up 15, the other team goes on a run cuts it 7. But then the other team knocks down a 3 to push it back to 10. That’s an emotional dagger. Basically just a momentum stopping big shot

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know that there is a definition, per se, but it’s one of those things that we all know it when we see it. The three at the end of the shot clock in a close game is the prototypical dagger. Another one is an offensive rebound and dunk, again, after using almost a full shot clock and at the end of the game. I think of daggers as being something that convinces the losing team that they can no longer come back. So, they tend to happen at the end of games and especially after the losing team puts out a lot of effort, like defending for 28 of 30 seconds.

Reaction Score
artworks-UzcUoyGla1UqPjYW-LmRloA-t500x500.jpg

Reaction Score
I don’t know that there is a definition, per se, but it’s one of those things that we all know it when we see it. The three at the end of the shot clock in a close game is the prototypical dagger. Another one is an offensive rebound and dunk, again, after using almost a full shot clock and at the end of the game. I think of daggers as being something that convinces the losing team that they can no longer come back. So, they tend to happen at the end of games and especially after the losing team puts out a lot of effort, like defending for 28 of 30 seconds.
A shot that kills the other teams hopes when they’re making a run. Typically late in the clock when it looks like they’re getting a big stop.
It’s like a dagger through their heart and hopes.

CL82

Reaction Score
The daggers in his holsters throughout his career have been utterly extraordinary!
This is the quintessential Shabazz dagger.

(Fun fact on that runoff. Napier did it, because he hates being in crowds. Was it Madden who said don’t make big plays if you can’t take the celebration afterwards?)

Reaction Score
The dagger is definitely as much of a mental/momentum thing as it is a change in win probability.

It's not really the game-winning shot. That's its own thing already.

The dagger is basically a shot that snuffs out a team's last chance. The late-shot-clock 3 that pushes a lead to 8 with 2 minutes to go.

Raftery uses it anytime, but he gets grandfathered in.

CL82

Reaction Score
The dagger is definitely as much of a mental/momentum thing as it is a change in win probability.

It's not really the game-winning shot. That's its own thing already.

The dagger is basically a shot that snuffs out a team's last chance. The late-shot-clock 3 that pushes a lead to 8 with 2 minutes to go.

Raftery uses it anytime, but he gets grandfathered in.
The game winner is its own thing but a game winner can be a dagger. But a dagger can also be the shot that makes it mathematically unlikely that a team can come back. Like the shot that takes it from a two possession game to a three possession game with 35 seconds left.

Reaction Score
A dagger is a shot that goes thru your heart. A kill shot. It kills momentum, it kills hope. You don’t see them all that often, but when you do, you know it. It sucks all the air out of the building for the receiving team.

Reaction Score
Does a dagger have to be a jumpshot?

I always imagine a dagger as a long-range shot, particularly one that barely hits the net.

Reaction Score
This is the quintessential Shabazz dagger.

(Fun fact on that runoff. Napier did it, because he hates being in crowds. Was it Madden who said don’t make big plays if you can’t take the celebration afterwards?)

This isn't a dagger. This is just a game winning shot. I will never forget this game thought. I remember watching from home. Sick ending.

For me the dagger usually happens late in the game (about 3 mins left) and its usually a shot that basically seals a victory when the opposing team is mounting a comeback.

For example. Lets say the Johnies are down 14 against UConn with 5 to go @ Gampel. They cut the lead to 7 with 2:30 mins to go and firmly have all the momentum on their side. They are about to cut it to 5 when they turnover the ball and UConn hits a sick 3 pointer to get the lead back to 10 and basically erase any chance for a comeback. Meanwhile, the previously silent and nervous crowd explodes in excitement and takes the Johnies out of the game. The 3 pointer was the dagger here if its not obvious.

These things happen all the time. Daggers are momentum killers that erase any possibility for a comeback from the opposing team

CL82

Reaction Score
This isn't a dagger. This is just a game winning shot. I will never forget this game thought. I remember watching from home. Sick ending.

For me the dagger usually happens late in the game (about 3 mins left) and its usually a shot that basically seals a victory when the opposing team is mounting a comeback.

For example. Lets say the Johnies are down 14 against UConn with 5 to go @ Gampel. They cut the lead to 7 with 2:30 mins to go and firmly have all the momentum on their side. They are about to cut it to 5 when they turnover the ball and UConn hits a sick 3 pointer to get the lead back to 10 and basically erase any chance for a comeback. Meanwhile, the previously silent and nervous crowd explodes in excitement and takes the Johnies out of the game. The 3 pointer was the dagger here if its not obvious.

These things happen all the time. Daggers are momentum killers that erase any possibility for a comeback from the opposing team
Yeah I can agree with that. If it’s at the buzzer it’s a game winner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom