What? WTIC drops UConn basketball coverage?? | The Boneyard

What? WTIC drops UConn basketball coverage??

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There is a thread on the men's board indicating just that....no coverage from WTIC after this year.
Apparently it means both men and women.
I find this hard to believe.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They're almost definitely going to 97.9 FM

Reaction Score
Two things :

1. I wonder if IMG network will pick up whomever DOES broadcast the games?

2. Now I can delete WTIC from my saved channel listings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think IMG has the rights and WTIC was carrying their broadcast. When you use TuneIn, it's IMG you have to look for, not WTIC.

Reaction Score
WTIC bye. Ray Dunaway good riddance. Time to retire. WTIC preset in car delete.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Memo to iHeart radio/97.9 ESPN - hire Bob Joyce!

He is really terrific IMHO.
thumbs-up.png

Reaction Score
“I have the highest respect for UConn athletic director David Benedict and his goals for the university,” said Entercom senior vice president and Hartford market manager Phil Zachary. “Having grown up in Connecticut, there’s a special place in my heart for UConn basketball. However, I couldn’t justify what they were seeking when compared to more successful partnerships Entercom enjoys with elite Power 5 institutions.”

OUCH.

Reaction Score
Conference afflilliation means $$$$$ when it comes to rights fees. IMG negotiating on UConn's behalf for P5-type conference $$$$$$ & Enterconm said not worth in from their seat in their world....pretty simple....

Reaction Score
“I have the highest respect for UConn athletic director David Benedict and his goals for the university,” said Entercom senior vice president and Hartford market manager Phil Zachary. “Having grown up in Connecticut, there’s a special place in my heart for UConn basketball. However, I couldn’t justify what they were seeking when compared to more successful partnerships Entercom enjoys with elite Power 5 institutions.”

OUCH.

Even Phil knows how to hurt the AAC conference, not bitter much! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, I guess I don't have to listen to WTIC anymore. [ ] UConn sports was the only reason I tuned them in. I hope the broadcast teams come out OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sounds like it's not WTIC dropping them but an ESPN affiliate paying more for it. Only time will tell if it's a good thing.
Without Joe D the men's won't be the same at all. ANYTHING affiliated with ESPN gives me pause.

Reaction Score
ICMI

From the official release:

IMG today announced a transformative 10-year, multimillion-dollar partnership with iHeartMedia and 97.9 ESPN, Hartford’s Sport Station, to serve as the Home of the UConn Huskies.

97.9 ESPN will become the new home for the UConn-IMG Radio Network beginning in the 2018-19 academic year. Following the conclusion of the current UConn athletic seasons, it will serve as the exclusive terrestrial radio home for UConn Athletics airing regular season and post-season play-by-play for football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s hockey. Additionally, iHeartMedia plans to broadcast select UConn Olympic sports contests.

“Our new relationship with iHeartMedia and 97.9 ESPN provides UConn Athletics with a powerful reach and the prospect of building an extensive affiliate network throughout the state and the Northeast,” director of athletics David Benedict said. “Our new partnership with a dedicated sports platform hosted by the most powerful sports and media company in the country, will offer fans and listeners more opportunities to interact with our teams and coaches.”

The relationship between the UConn-IMG Radio Network and 97.9 ESPN will also include pre- and post-game shows as well as the UConn Women’s Basketball Coach’s Radio Show with Geno Auriemma, the UConn Men’s Basketball Coach's Radio Show with Kevin Ollie, UConn Football Coach’s Radio Show with Randy Edsall, and the UConn Hockey Coach’s Radio Show with Michael Cavanaugh.

“This partnership joins three iconic brands,” said Steve Honeycomb, Region President for iHeartMedia. “Having UConn sports on iHeartMedia’s 97.9 ESPN has been our long term goal. This is the perfect partnership and offers even more entertaining programming for UConn Nation.”

In the event of conflicting game schedules, iHeartMedia will broadcast UConn Athletics events on an affiliate station. IMG also provides fans a variety of ways to follow UConn Athletics audio broadcasts including on their mobile device with the Tunein App and on satellite radio via partnerships with Sirius/XM radio...

[MORE]

Also, this:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom