OT- What Would a World Team v USA Look Like? | The Boneyard

OT- What Would a World Team v USA Look Like?

Reaction Score
What would the roster be of a World versus America team?

There are a couple of obvious picks.

Liz Cambage at center (Australia)

After that, I'm thinking Emma Meeseman from Belgium (sitting out the WNBA season?).

Then I'm thinking Natalie Achonwa (Canada)

Maria Vadeeva C-F (Russia) has only just joined the WNBA, and she's only 18, but she performed well in the Euro-League championships

Alba Torrens (Spain)?

Sonja Petrovic from Dynamo Kursk?

Would Kia Nurse (Canada) be on the roster?

Ezi Magbegor (Australia)? Too inexperienced?

What would your picks for a World Team to take on America look like? Should there be a World versus America series? We have Europe versus America in golf.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the game or series would not even be close
USA:
Sylvia Fowles
Elena Delle Donne
Candace Parker
Skylar Diggins
Chelsea Gray
UCONN:
Tina Charles
Stewie
Maya Moore
DT
Sue Bird
World:
Liz Cambage
Jonquel Jones
Natalie Achonwa
Courtney Vandersloot
Kia Nurse

Reaction Score
Not that she would make the World roster, but Amanda Zahui B plays on Sweden's national team. She's improving her play for New York, but....

Reaction Score
There's also this young Italian who has played well in the Euro-League playoffs- Cecilia Zandalasini (6'2")

I wonder if we're not missing fine talents that just don't show up in the WNBA and haven't gone to college in the U.S.

Sandrine Gruda, for example.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the game or series would not even be close
USA:
Sylvia Fowles
Elena Delle Donne
Candace Parker
Skylar Diggins
Chelsea Gray
UCONN:
Tina Charles
Stewie
Maya Moore
DT
Sue Bird
World:
Liz Cambage
Jonquel Jones
Natalie Achonwa
Courtney Vandersloot
Kia Nurse

Though ethnically apparently Dutch, Courtney Vandersloot is listed by the WNBA as an American whose hometown is Kent, Washington:

Courtney Vandersloot - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

For the others:

Liz Cambage (Australia)
Jonquel Jones (Bahamas)
Natalie Achonwa (Canada)
Kia Nurse (Canada)

Reaction Score
I think a young World Team would include:

Jonquel Jones (Bahamas)
Maria Vadeeva (Russia)
Emma Meeseman (Belgium)
Ezi Magbegor (Australia)

Others?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Possibilities include Leilani Mitchell, Celine DuMerc, Clarissa dos Santos, Laeticia Amihere, and one of the 6’8” Chinese players. There have been some good Israeli players in the past decade as well. How about Sancho Lyttle?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vandersloot befuddles me a bit. Definitely an American. Plays professionally in Turkey in the offseason but somehow is a member of the Hungarian National Team. Never understood how that came about if she wasn't born there, doesn't live there and isn't ethnically Hungarian.

Would Becky Hammon have been a member of a World Team vs. the US Team after she became a Russian citizen? She competed for them in the Olympics.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A World WBB team would get stomped by the US Olympic team. The real question is how would a World Team fare against an all UConn team? I think even a current all UConn team would crush an all World team, winning with starters, although bench depth may be a problem.

Reaction Score
Vandersloot befuddles me a bit. Definitely an American. Plays professionally in Turkey in the offseason but somehow is a member of the Hungarian National Team. Never understood how that came about if she wasn't born there, doesn't live there and isn't ethnically Hungarian.

Would Becky Hammon have been a member of a World Team vs. the US Team after she became a Russian citizen? She competed for them in the Olympics.

Just like national soccer teams: all sorts of silliness going on in terms of citizenship. And the US team is right up there with guys born in Germany to an American mom and German dad and that sort of thing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just like national soccer teams: all sorts of silliness going on in terms of citizenship. And the US team is right up there with guys born in Germany to an American mom and German dad and that sort of thing.
Right as ever. However, I would hereby nominate Lukaku and Ronaldo as nationalized Americans, and international opinion be damned.

Reaction Score

If countries want to make their own citizenship worthless, that's up to them. FIBA has put in a hard limit of one "naturalized" player per team and cracked down on some Middle Eastern countries who would give American men temporary citizenship that expires after a few years. FIFA has no limit, but makes it a little harder to become a naturalized player, although that favors big countries like Diego Costa playing for Spain.

I thumbed through WNBA players and I think these are the foreign or "foreign" players:

Foreign: Natalie Achonwa, Kayla Alexander, Rebecca Allen, Liz Cambage, Damiris Dantas, Temi Fagbenle, Cayla Francis, Marie Gulich, Jonquel Jones, Sancho Lyttle, Endy Miyem, Astou Ndour, Kia Nurse, Park Jisu, Leticia Romero, Stephanie Talbot, Maria Vadeeva, Amanda Zahui B, Cecilia Zandalasini

American, but play for a country where they have family roots and could be citizens regardless of basketball ability: Alysha Clark, Leilani Mitchell, Karlie Samuelson

American, naturalized and have participated in national team activities with another country: Alex Bentley, Tiffany Hayes, Glory Johnson, Lynetta Kizer, Epiphanny Prince, Allie Quigley, Noelle Quinn, Angel Robinson, LaToya Pringle, Kristi Toliver, Courtney Vandersloot, Kia Vaughn, Sami Whitcomb, Shavonte Zellous

A few other players have been naturalized, but not had the chance to play for their new teams yet. Some players also could represent another country where they have heritage, but have not done so yet.

If you asked European coaches, I think they would want Torrens/Petrovic/Meesseman/Cambage in a true non-American lineup from 2-5. Which point guards should make it would probably be quite a debate. Jones and Milovanovic would probably also be consensus picks for the bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Though ethnically apparently Dutch, Courtney Vandersloot is listed by the WNBA as an American whose hometown is Kent, Washington:

Courtney Vandersloot - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

For the others:

Liz Cambage (Australia)
Jonquel Jones (Bahamas)
Natalie Achonwa (Canada)
Kia Nurse (Canada)
Vandersloot befuddles me a bit. Definitely an American. Plays professionally in Turkey in the offseason but somehow is a member of the Hungarian National Team. Never understood how that came about if she wasn't born there, doesn't live there and isn't ethnically Hungarian. Would Becky Hammon have been a member of a World Team vs. the US Team after she became a Russian citizen? She competed for them in the Olympics.
Courtney Vandersloot now a part of Hungary’s national team program

Reaction Score

No way!!!!

"Vandersloot didn’t make the 12-player roster for the U.S. 2016 Olympic team and her national team aspirations arrived at a crossroads. The 28-year-old point guard for the Chicago Sky made the difficult decision to bid adieu to her goal of playing for the U.S. at the 2020 Olympics when she agreed to play for Hungary’s national team after becoming a Hungarian citizen in November.

"Vandersloot finished as Hungary’s second leading scorer at the recent EuroBasket Women event in the Czech Republic. After beating the host Czech Republic team in pool play, Hungary lost 49-48 to Italy in the Round of 16. 'It was very difficult for me, it was something that I thought about and really took my time with, I am talking years,' Vandersloot said before Tuesday’s WNBA game at Mohegan Sun Arena. 'I had opportunities, I knew what it would do for my career overseas but USA was always No. 1, no matter what. I kind of always had in my mind from the beginning of my career that if the 2016 Olympics didn’t happen, that was something I was going to (address) because of the timing career wise. The next Olympics are in four years and I am not young anymore so it was a difficult decision and that didn’t make it any easier. It was the right decision for me and my career but of course I am always going to have that, ‘what if?’ feeling.”

"This is an interesting time for USA Basketball. Four-time Olympic gold medalists and former UConn stars Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi as well as former Connecticut Sun star Lindsay Whalen were the primary ball handlers on the 2016 Olympic championship team but all three will be approaching their 40th birthday by the time the 2020 Olympics arrive."

Wow!!! Sort of looking like a dumb move at this point, no? Had no idea.

Thanks for the contribution!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No way!!!!
Wow!!! Sort of looking like a dumb move at this point, no? Had no idea.
Thanks for the contribution!!!
That depends mainly on what her discussions with USA basketball were like after not making the team. She was definitely in consideration for USA basketball team spot along with Odyssey Sims, Kayla McBride and Skylar Diggins. Now that whalen has retired from USA basketball I guessing there are now 2 guard spots up for grabs because Sue and DT can't last forever.
BTW Becky Hammond did the same thing in 2008 and joined the Russian team after being eliminated from consideration for the US team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, and it was not because of her Russian citizenship either. You are talking 2008 and there were many better International guards Penny Taylor and Svetlana Abrosimova just to name two.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
.... because Sue and DT can't last forever.

After 2016, I would have said that is inevitable but based on this season, I think DT and Sue have a stranglehold of the starting positions for 2020.
Backup positions can be divided among Kayla McBride, Skylar Diggins, Chelsey Gray or others.

Reaction Score
After 2016, I would have said that is inevitable but based on this season, I think DT and Sue have a stranglehold of the starting positions for 2020.
Backup positions can be divided among Kayla McBride, Skylar Diggins, Chelsey Gray or others.

I just cannot believe that Sue and D can hold out until the summer of 2020 as professionals. Age catches up with athletes all of a sudden. Both are playing well now, but, seriously? 2020? I wouldn't put money on it. Any amount of money.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue and Diana are successfully fighting the effects of aging. Both are on the short list of best players in the league at rather advanced ages. I think they are locks and likely starters for 2018 in Tenerife. I’m thrilled, because I’ll be there. Regarding 2020, I think Diana (the younger of the pair) is likely and Sue is probable. Any injury could stop them, but fitness level sure won’t. They are 2 of the most motivated players in history, and both want a 5th Olympics.

Reaction Score

I disagree, Sloot being "Hungarian" is nothing like German players having and American service member parent.

Reaction Score
So a World Starting Five would include:

Courney Vandersloot (Hungary)- PG
Liz Cambage (Austrealia)- Center
Alba Torrens (Spain)- SG
Jonquel Jones (Bahamas)- PF
Natalie Ochonwa (Canada)- SF

With Maria Vadeeva (Russia)- F, Emma Meeseman (Belgium)- F, Sancho Lyttle (Spain), Sonja Petrovic (Serbia)- SF, Astou Ndour (Spain)- C, and Kia Nurse (Canada)- PG, coming off the bench?

Perhaps the bigger question is whether a World versus America women's basketball game would draw a big television audience? I'd certainly tune in!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom