What will Kitija Laksa do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What will Kitija Laksa do?

Reaction Score
on the graduate transfer front, it's no secret UConn needs an additional scorer who shoots well from the outside and a 6'2" plus rebounder with some offensive ability for next year.........................not much to ask for.................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The season is over, and we pretty much know who’s staying, who’s turning pro and who’s transferring with one glaring exception. USF’s 6’ sharp shooter Kitija Laksa’s status is still very much up in the air. Laksa will graduate from USF this spring, but she has neither made herself eligible for the WNBA draft, nor asked USF to apply for a medical hardship on her behalf after tearing her ACL last November.

Laksa not making herself eligible for the WNBA draft is a no brainer. Her ACL rehab will last just about all of the WNBA season, so nothing is lost. But the question of whether she comes back to play college ball as a RS-Senior or turns pro and plays in Europe is unknown. Furthermore, if Laksa decides to play another year of college ball, will she return to USF or transfer as a graduate to another school?

For now, Laksa indicates she wants to keep all of her options open. USF’s coach, Jose Fernandez has stated, “I'm at peace with whatever she decides.” Stay tuned!
I don't want her here....she belongs to USF

Putting my distaste for transfers aside, I would concede help/relief for ONO, (who might very well be playing half her minutes with 4 fouls), is reasonable...... this particular transfer would not help there.

If this is going to be an "off year" for UConn, I'd rather not see anything that's going to take player development minutes away from anyone else.

We have enough right now to take us to a F8 game. Not worried a whit about the AAC, it's still just a pre-season to the tournament, and we can handle a few losses in OOC.

I'd rather see her stay at USF and give us a couple good games next year.

Just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
I don't want her here....she belongs to USF

Putting my distaste for transfers aside, I would concede help/relief for ONO, (who might very well be playing half her minutes with 4 fouls), is reasonable. this particular transfer would not help there.

If this is going to be an "off year" for UConn, I'd rather not see anything that's going to take player development minutes away from anyone else.

We have enough right now to take us to a F8 game. Not worried a whit about the AAC, it's still just a pre-season to the tournament, and we can handle a few losses in OOC.

I'd rather see her stay at USF and give us a couple good games next year.

Just my thoughts.

Are you being serious? There are no players to take developmental minutes away from. Our bench has 4 players on it. Three of them are seniors, they don't really have any development left to do, the other is Coombs who will be a junior that'll be in the regular rotation. This post is so ridiculous....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like Jose fine, but not enough to pass on a player like that.
In one sense, the situation would be similar to Geno’s good friend Doug Bruno giving his blessing to promising young coach Jasmine Lister leaving his staff to go to UConn. Jose and Geno are good friends and golfing buddies, but of course it would be a much different situation for Jose to give his blessing to his best player transferring.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you being serious? There are no players to take developmental minutes away from. Our bench has 4 players on it. Three of them are seniors, they don't really have any development left to do, the other is Coombs who will be a junior that'll be in the regular rotation. This post is so ridiculous....
I agree with your post but respectfully suggest that you might have omitted the last line. We can all disagree without being disagreeable.

Reaction Score
There is certainly a 5th starter spot that's wide open on UConn's roster right now.
Would love to see her in a UConn uniform but wonder how realistic it would be with her injury for her to get in the basketball shape needed to meet Geno's standards.

Reaction Score

No players to take development minutes from ? Are you being serious ?

Walker, Williams and Coombs all need to play, in the offense (and D), uninterrupted.

Ultimately, adding a player like her to this offense will be disruptive, and adds nothing to the D at best, and opens an unfillable hole in the D at worst.

And that's not even touching how long it will take her to learn a new system, or what changes will have to be made to fit her in.

We don't need her --- we need Walker and Williams to elevate. That means max touches, shooting or otherwise.

She is not a substitute for Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would love to see her in a UConn uniform but wonder how realistic it would be with her injury for her to get in the basketball shape needed to meet Geno's standards.
Well, she has a full year from the date of her injury last Nov to get back into playing shape. As others have pointed out, she seems to be walking OK. For a young, healthy individual it’s doable. If I had that injury, I’d probably milk it for 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
I think Geno can be flexible with injury, like he was with Brittany Hunter.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah me too. I just wouldn’t think we ever had a chance given Geno Jose dynamic. But I guess if she approached Jose and said I want to play for Geno and up my WNBA stock would you mind talking to Geno about it. Then maybe just maybe ....
A comparison I would offer is Anriel Howard who played for Gary Blair yet went to MSU with his good buddy Vic Shaeffer. As Jose has said, he wishes her luck with whatever she decides so that would include playing for Geno (or ESPECIALLY for Geno!).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I've been rooting quietly for some time for her to come to UConn. Yes I know Geno and Jose are friends so rest assured that she would not come unless there were conversations and agreement between the coaches.

I know UConn's biggest need for a grad transfer (or any other player who could be come eligible right away) is for size in the post. I love Batouly and Kyla, but one is oft injured, and the other not mobile or skilled enough to contribute against top competition. I expect ONO to have a nice sophomore leap next year, but if there is no size off the bench to spell her in case of foul trouble or tired legs, it won't be good.

Still.. a starting lineup (potentially) of Crystal, Christyn, Katija, Megan and ONO would be one of the best starting 5 in the nation. The problem will be off the bench. Realistically it's likely in big games Geno would barely have Coombs and Griffin off the bench. Just not enough size.

Getting Makurat would be terrific. Unless Coombs ups her ability to shoot, I could see both her and Griffin ahead of Mikayla. It would be a team lacking any depth size-wise, but would be as talented on paper as any team in the nation IMHO.
Laksa and a post player! I guess you want the whole Kit(ija) and caboodle, Eric.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would Geno try for Laska and risk injuring his friendship with Jose Fernandez?
Geno would not go after Laksa unless she first makes it clear that she is interested, which may have already happened for all we know. Subsequently, I'm sure that Geno would contact Jose to discuss the issue. From Jose's comments already, I think he's resigned to the fact that Laksa will either transfer or turn pro and play in Europe next year. If she decided to transfer to UConn, I don't think it would affect Geno and Jose's friendship at all. They have great respect for each other.

Reaction Score
There is certainly a 5th starter spot that's wide open on UConn's roster right now.
Except for last year, Azura, Geno does not seem to get a lot of help from transfers. It could be him or the player just does not have the time to adjust to his disciplined way of doing things.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Except for last year, Azura, Geno does not seem to get a lot of help from transfers. It could be him or the player just does not have the time to adjust to his disciplined way of doing things.
I think the world is changing, even for Geno. Clearly, he’s following the trend to go after international players with at least one and hopefully more talented international players. He’s been a little slow to embrace transfers, but hopefully that will also change.

Reaction Score
You know I like ya OD but we'll agree to disagree. I just also think her eagerness to chuck shots would disrupt their ability to run their offense for the best shot. I could also see frustration from Auriemma over that lack of defensive effort. IMO, it's just a square peg in a round hole.
I've never been a Laksa fan. She chucks 'em up there as well as anyone -- she really is a good shooter. But does she play any defense at all and can she play within a system? I'm just not sure. I know that UConn needs bodies, and she's a lot better than jus6t anyone, but still....

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Dixon is transferring from Georgia Tech and possiblity a waiver could go through to have her eligible to play this coming season? Worked for Shepard when she went to Notre Dame
Re-read that last line... then think how UConn would get the same treatment.

Reaction Score
Well I never really played close attention to Kitija Laksa, I just knew she wasn’t as good as our # 33, but after watching a few YouTube highlights I think she would provide help to UConn, and could possible turn into our leading scorer since she would likely have the green light. She sure can put the ball in the basket, and is way more then just a 3 point shooter, for a team who could have some trouble scoring next year, Laksa would be a great fit and address one of our needs, but I agree I can’t see Jose being ok with his best player transferring to a school in the same conference, I don’t think they can win the American next year, but USF should be able to challenge with a healthy kitija.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well I never really played close attention to Kitija Laksa, I just knew she wasn’t as good as our # 33, but after watching a few YouTube highlights I think she would provide help to UConn, and could possible turn into our leading scorer since she would likely have the green light. She sure can put the ball in the basket, and is way more then just a 3 point shooter, for a team who could have some trouble scoring next year, Laksa would be a great fit and address one of our needs, but I agree I can’t see Jose being ok with his best player transferring to a school in the same conference, I don’t think they can win the American next year, but USF should be able to challenge with a healthy kitija.
Yes, Kitija is a great offensive player and won the AAC ROY award over KLS. That said, it's not like she's divorcing Jose and leaving him and kids. She's a college athlete who has an opportunity. Jose has said he wishes her well in whatever she decides. If this is true, Jose and Geno had to have talked during their European jaunt about this. I absolutely think Jose would be ok with this and would immediately feel another FF is a real possibility.

Reaction Score
Any updates about her decision? Heard about any possible visits to schools?

Reaction Score
I think she stays at SF and gives them a chance to compete and knock off the huskies in the AAC. Remember they gave us a huge scare with a depleted team of injuries. Most of there players are back next season so they will be much better if she stays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom