What will Kitija Laksa do? | The Boneyard

What will Kitija Laksa do?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The season is over, and we pretty much know who’s staying, who’s turning pro and who’s transferring with one glaring exception. USF’s 6’ sharp shooter Kitija Laksa’s status is still very much up in the air. Laksa will graduate from USF this spring, but she has neither made herself eligible for the WNBA draft, nor asked USF to apply for a medical hardship on her behalf after tearing her ACL last November.

Laksa not making herself eligible for the WNBA draft is a no brainer. Her ACL rehab will last just about all of the WNBA season, so nothing is lost. But the question of whether she comes back to play college ball as a RS-Senior or turns pro and plays in Europe is unknown. Furthermore, if Laksa decides to play another year of college ball, will she return to USF or transfer as a graduate to another school?

For now, Laksa indicates she wants to keep all of her options open. USF’s coach, Jose Fernandez has stated, “I'm at peace with whatever she decides.” Stay tuned!

Reaction Score
I’ve been wishing all year that she comes to us as a graduate transfer.
Yeah me too. I just wouldn’t think we ever had a chance given Geno Jose dynamic. But I guess if she approached Jose and said I want to play for Geno and up my WNBA stock would you mind talking to Geno about it. Then maybe just maybe ....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah me too. I just wouldn’t think we ever had a chance given Geno Jose dynamic. But I guess if she approached Jose and said I want to play for Geno and up my WNBA stock would you mind talking to Geno about it. Then maybe just maybe ....
There is certainly a 5th starter spot that's wide open on UConn's roster right now.

Reaction Score

Are there any restrictions on graduate transfers within the same conference?

Reaction Score
Has she said she wants to grad transfer? Or has she said she wants to explore options?

Reaction Score
No way she would transfer to UCONN! Geno and Jose are great friends and both in the same confrence. If her aspirations are to try and win a national title her last go around any top program would take her. But then again all the top contenders next year have a lot of depth and she would start right away... but just don’t see it happening. Most likely she leaves and goes back home to play professionally. If she stays she will be on another SF team that won’t pass UCONN in the AAC.. Sad to say the AAC won’t catch UCONN next year.. as long as UCONN is in the AAC they will continue to dominate even with a roster of 5

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Laksa can only be a grad transfer if she has completed her undergrad work. We won't know that until May.

As to her recovery, she walked out on the court on senior night, March, without a brace. She was walking normally.

If she returns to college ball, I think it will be with USF.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've been rooting quietly for some time for her to come to UConn. Yes I know Geno and Jose are friends so rest assured that she would not come unless there were conversations and agreement between the coaches.

I know UConn's biggest need for a grad transfer (or any other player who could be come eligible right away) is for size in the post. I love Batouly and Kyla, but one is oft injured, and the other not mobile or skilled enough to contribute against top competition. I expect ONO to have a nice sophomore leap next year, but if there is no size off the bench to spell her in case of foul trouble or tired legs, it won't be good.

Still.. a starting lineup (potentially) of Crystal, Christyn, Katija, Megan and ONO would be one of the best starting 5 in the nation. The problem will be off the bench. Realistically it's likely in big games Geno would barely have Coombs and Griffin off the bench. Just not enough size.

Getting Makurat would be terrific. Unless Coombs ups her ability to shoot, I could see both her and Griffin ahead of Mikayla. It would be a team lacking any depth size-wise, but would be as talented on paper as any team in the nation IMHO.

Reaction Score
I've been rooting quietly for some time for her to come to UConn. Yes I know Geno and Jose are friends so rest assured that she would not come unless there were conversations and agreement between the coaches.

I know UConn's biggest need for a grad transfer (or any other player who could be come eligible right away) is for size in the post. I love Batouly and Kyla, but one is oft injured, and the other not mobile or skilled enough to contribute against top competition. I expect ONO to have a nice sophomore leap next year, but if there is no size off the bench to spell her in case of foul trouble or tired legs, it won't be good.

Still.. a starting lineup (potentially) of Crystal, Christyn, Katija, Megan and ONO would be one of the best starting 5 in the nation. The problem will be off the bench. Realistically it's likely in big games Geno would barely have Coombs and Griffin off the bench. Just not enough size.

Getting Makurat would be terrific. Unless Coombs ups her ability to shoot, I could see both her and Griffin ahead of Mikayla. It would be a team lacking any depth size-wise, but would be as talented on paper as any team in the nation IMHO.
I think they need a rebounder who can play some semblance of interior defense with the loss of Collier. And I doubt that Laksa could learn to cover anybody before November let alone rebound.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think they need a rebounder who can play some semblance of interior defense with the loss of collier. And I doubt that Laksa could learn to cover anybody before November let alone rebound.
There's no reason why UConn can't also pick up a rebounder, but I have to say that Laksa's ability to shoot the ball, with one of the quickest releases in WBB, would make UConn a much better team. Add Laksa in with Crystal, Christyn, Meg and Liv and UConn likely makes it back to their 13th straight FF.

Reaction Score
There's no reason why UConn can't also pick up a rebounder, but I have to say that Laksa's ability to shoot the ball, with one of the quickest releases in WBB, would make UConn a much better team. Add Laksa in with Crystal, Christyn, Meg and Liv and UConn likely makes it back to their 13th straight FF.
You know I like ya OD but we'll agree to disagree. I just also think her eagerness to chuck shots would disrupt their ability to run their offense for the best shot. I could also see frustration from Auriemma over that lack of defensive effort. IMO, it's just a square peg in a round hole.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a reminder, the last season she played, Kitija shot FTs at above 96%.

She also played in the World Cup in Tenerife. She tried to do too much by herself, but she fit in at the world class level.

Reaction Score
I hope she stays at USF. UConn needs a rebounder and a strong paint player on defense. Williams is going to be the volume shooter next season. Besides, USF is a nice program that just went through a nightmare season.

Reaction Score
I think Laska would be a great addition, although she wouldn't address the biggest need. I am still hopeful about Batouly, as I believe if she is healthy, she would be the right piece in the puzzle.

A healthy Batouly would help out in so many ways. Like you, I hold out hope, just not much of it.

Laska isn't exactly what we need, but no question she'd be a great addition. If Jose was okay with it, I'd be thrilled to have her join our team.

Reaction Score
1. Are the same people that don't want Laksa the same people that didn't want Howard last year(Who btw, was exactly what we needed)? Ummmmmm, Laksa would be a great addition. You think she shoots too much? She was option 1, 2, and 3 on her team every year after Courtney Williams left and had to shoot.

2. She is experienced I'll take her!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I would love a 6’4” rebounder next season, it should be noted that Beatrice Mompremier has announced she’s staying at Miami, and there just aren’t that many other talented Bigs that could transfer and play right away. I would also love to have Batouly step into the starting lineup and have a healthy, productive season, but her chronically injured knees make that possibility highly unlikely.

As it stands right now, UConn looks like it will have 4 outstanding players in the starting lineup. Kitija Laksa would make it 5. She immediately replaces Lou’s ability to shoot the ball on the perimeter and spread the floor. There’s been some comments that Laksa is not Geno’s type of player. Hogwash! Laksa is an aggressive offensive player who’s not afraid to take big shots. There are several such UConn players whose names are hanging on the wall at Gambel precisely because of that ability.

I have no idea if Laksa to UConn is a real possibility or just wishful thinking, but her actions and comments, along with Jose’s remarks, make me wonder if something’s going on. In any event, we might hope to get more information after USF’s graduation ceremony on Thursday, May 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom